Nut advancing me too early?

Options
duffslove
duffslove Posts: 125 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
I just had my 6month post up visit, I'm actually at 5 1/2 months post op..all went well, they are very happy with my numbers...I am 7 lbs from my surgeron's goal for me according to my scale (9 1/2 lbs according to theirs (lol). I had mentioned that I'm not even finishing my portions now because I get feeling too full and there is almost always something left over but then I feel like I'm maybe hungry a few hours later and I want a snack and have a really tough time talking myself out of having that snack, and usually lose. The surgeon thought I should raise my daily calories and wasn't worried since I was way ahead of where they figure I should be on my weight loss, he feels I should be at this point about 8 months out.

My Nutritionist came in and upped my calories too 1000... Now first of all, I'm not able to take in what I should be now, and I'm obviously having issues with something concerning hunger/head hunger/snacks...I have also not seen people at less than 6 months post op being at 1000 cal...I'm wondering why they want me taking in so much at this point? And how I'm possibly going to and of what...she also told me there was no need to up my protein, it's still at 80g but that she didn't want me lowering my carbs because "a body needs 60g a day for brain function properly" ..that leaves my extra calories in fats?!?! That doesn't sound right, pretty sure real fatty foods, helped create my previous food/weight problems. I'm a little confused and unfortunately, she wasn't very helpful in helping me understand this time, what they are wanting from me and why this change so early..or at least what seems early to me I guess..any ideas?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to maintenance, and wanting to stay at a given weight level,you will need to find a way to increase your calories to your maintenance level. If you use the MFP automatic goal setting, you will see what their estimate of your maintenance level is.

I also hit goal about 6 months out and have been increasing calories to find my maintenance level. 1000 certainly doesn't seem too high, my maintenance level is at 1800-2000 and I have been aiming for 1500 daily, not worrying too much if I go a little over. I am happy with my goal weight, but wouldn't be too unhappy if I came down another 10 pounds or so, since I picked my goal weight still in the "Overweight" BMI range. My maintenance range is therefore essentially between 1500 and 2000 calories. I haven't been very good with logging recently and have certainly strayed a bit, but the concept of 1500-2000 seems to work well for maintenance for me.

As far as picking a macro split (protein/carbs/fat), there is clearly no consensus in the WLS or non-WLS world, but getting your head around your eating choices will allow you to succeed on whatever path you choose. I aim for a relatively balanced 40C, 30P, 30F balance, I believe Thaeda is doing High F, Low C. I read a lot of the Nutrition stuff on the main forums and have connected pretty well with the IIFYM concepts rather than any of the specialty Hi or Low macro diets. Learn and choose!

Good Luck and congratulations on being so close to goal!

Rob
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am at 6 months out and my nut wanted me to get in at least 1200 a day, up to 1500 was ok with her. Are you on a plan with no snacks? I find I eat about 4-6 times a day (including snacks) but I plan out healthy snacks most of the time, like 1/2 and apple and a handful of nuts, a cheese stick, etc. Some days its a challenge to get to 1200 calories, and some days I manage to get over 1500 somehow (usually with bad snacks).
  • duffslove
    Options
    Thanks for sharing some info, I'm def going to have to do some research on some of the nutrient changes..it just didn't make sense to me, but Rob, that does sound a lil better, that maybe I'm getting close enough to maintenance they want me to up it. And yes, they don't want us snacking, but I have many times, it's always something little and pretty good for me..but still I'm nowhere near taking in where they want me to be, gonna have to add calories somewhere to the little amounts I'm eating, without making bad choices..very hard still to wrap my head around them wanting me to get more in already...I just don't want to ruin my sleeve and stretch it out, and def don't want to make bad food choices just to add calories.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No snacks at all? My nutritionist wants me to have 2-3 planned snacks per day, but not be grazing. It is such a fine line, but if I didn't do snacks at all I'd never get my protein or calories in.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all of that progress in six months. Are you feeling any negative side effects from your nutritionist's recommendations?
  • duffslove
    Options
    They don't want snacks, every time I've gone in she has mentioned my snacks when I have them..it's usually part of a protein bar/shake if I need more protein or 1/2 of a serving quinoa chips and salsa, hummus or some mixed cut fruit...nothing I would consider too bad, but if I didn't have them, I def wouldn't be getting close to my daily calories and needed nutrition..and I'll be honest, the last month appox I've felt like I've been a bit hungry maybe a few hours after I've eaten, even though I don't eat all of my meal because I feel too full..head hunger or real hunger? I'm not sure, she said she wasn't either and I should watch those times and see what's happening to be able to tell
  • duffslove
    edited August 2015
    Options
    paul87920 wrote: »
    Congratulations on all of that progress in six months. Are you feeling any negative side effects from your nutritionist's recommendations?
    Thank you! I've been trying to get in what she told me, still not making it past 800 calories, but I'm going to keep trying.I did make sure my carbs(good) were a little higher the last 2 days, a little too high I think, and my protein wasn't as good..I noticed later at night around 8-830pm I felt really tired and when I went to bed I fell asleep almost as soon as I got in, which was unusual for me

• lioykavsg
    lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    duffslove wrote: »
    They don't want snacks, every time I've gone in she has mentioned my snacks when I have them..it's usually part of a protein bar/shake if I need more protein or 1/2 of a serving quinoa chips and salsa, hummus or some mixed cut fruit...nothing I would consider too bad, but if I didn't have them, I def wouldn't be getting close to my daily calories and needed nutrition..and I'll be honest, the last month appox I've felt like I've been a bit hungry maybe a few hours after I've eaten, even though I don't eat all of my meal because I feel too full..head hunger or real hunger? I'm not sure, she said she wasn't either and I should watch those times and see what's happening to be able to tell

I know there are big differences in NUT recommendations. I also had my NUT visit at 5 1/2 months. When she asked how many times a day I was eating, I was worried because I eat 5-6 times a day...Small meals and I try to limit grazing. I listen to my sleeve and when it says I'm done, I stop. I may get hungry again in an hour so, I have the rest of my meal. She said that was fine. She was very pleased. She said there is no way I could get in my protein and calorie requirements by only eating 3 meals a day. That is the purpose of the sleeve. She also said that eating 5-6 times a day helps to maintain a good blood sugar without dips. (as long as I choose healthy food.)

If there isn't one rock solid way of doing things and the Medical Dr's Vary in their recommendations, I personally feel that it will be up to you to decide what is best for you. Everyone is different in their journeys. Congratulations on your hard work and dedication!!
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My doc and nut trained us to eat 6 times a day, every 3 hours, protein + good carbs.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    gardendoc wrote: »
    My doc and nut trained us to eat 6 times a day, every 3 hours, protein + good carbs.

This is what my bartiatric team had us doing in the beginning. At about 6 months out, I was told 3 meals a day. I have never been able to get all my calories in in just 3 meals a day unless I'm eating the kinds of foods I ate presurgery. So most days I had some kind of a snack at least once a day. Now that I've been rasied to 1,200 calories a day, I'm back to eating 5-6 times a day again. I just can't get enough in at one sitting to get all the calories in any other way.

• duffslove
    Options
    Thanks all for sharing your tips and how you deal with it..I've tried the last few days and am still not getting close...so today and tomorrow gonna try to add in a lil more higher good fat options and see how I feel.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    I aim for a relatively balanced 40C, 30P, 30F balance, I believe Thaeda is doing High F, Low C. I read a lot of the Nutrition stuff on the main forums and have connected pretty well with the IIFYM concepts rather than any of the specialty Hi or Low macro diets. Learn and choose!

Rob

Great advice here! I was doing HFLC and really enjoyed it, but lately have been feeling a pull towards increasing my plant-based foods... not sure why, but I am going with it! Overall, I think Rob's point (and others who posted after him) is a good one-- you will need to find what works for you. It can be hard to increase cals.- both physically and from a mental standpoint (at least the latter was an issue for me). Take it slowly- no one says you have to do it all at once. Step by step-- make choices that feel good to you/for you-- this is not a "do it right or else" kind of a proposition- there is room for trial and error. Above all, listen to your body and do what feels good for you. :)

• hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm only 3 months out and I'm at 1,000 calories. My NUT told me to avoid the processed bars and shakes and things like that at this point and eat chicken, pork, steak, ground beef, turkey, cheese and veggies. I tend to eat 3 meals a day without the snacks. Breakfast is usually scrambled eggs with cheese, bell pepper, onion and tomato. Lunch is a salad with lettuce, carrot, tomato, cucumber, cheese and 5 oz of protein. Dinner is 5 oz of protein and some sort of veggies. I love making baked zucchini circles - dip them in beaten egg, coat with shredded Parmesan cheese and bake. And if I still want something in the evening I have a sugar free fudgesicle.