Help! How Much Protein & Carbs Per Day to Build Muscle?

Options
TrayLo28451
TrayLo28451 Posts: 14 Member
I"m new to working out and I really need some help. I recently lost 31 lbs and am now at my goal weight (132 lbs). I'm 47 and 5'5.5" tall. I would like to know how many grams of protein per day and how many grams of carbs per day do I need to consume to build lean muscle (triceps, butt, etc). Do I need to up my caloric intake from 1300 calories per day? Here are my current, daily nutritional goals (I always go over in Sodium and sugar. I think those might be set to low?)
Calories: 1,300 Calories
Carbs: 163 grams
Fat: 29 grams
Protein: 98 grams
Sodium: 2,000 mg
Sugar: 25 grams

Thank you for your help!
Traci

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! That's hard to do at our age! I'm 5'6" and 46, and would love to weigh 132!! How did you do it? Just with lower calories? I'm in a similar starting range and would love suggestions.

That said, to build muscle you'll need to up your calories. You'll probably want to do it slowly. Look up reverse dieting. Bumping it back up to your TDEE will allow you to build muscle without Gaining too much weight.the recommendations are always 0.8-1 g of protein per lb of lean mass, but I've also seen recommendations for per lb of body weight. I shoot for the 120g mark a day.

Are you lifting weights? It's been amazing for me! Hope to get to know you more on here :).
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd check out IIFYM (if it fits your macros) calculator. I think something like that is more suited on what macros would be best and an overall better calculator. I also juggle macros on rest days - i need more protein there and more carbs on lifting days.

Fiber is also a concern, with all that extra protein you want your digestive track moving right!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Best resources for this type information can be found in this group's stickie
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus. Get from 1300 cals to maintenance first, and then add 250 cals to that figure.

The gaining forum is really helpful on here
  • usedtobee
    usedtobee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is really useful info folks, I'm 52 and have reduced my weight from 77kg in January to 68.5kg right now (I think that's about 18 pounds loss) - I worked with a personal trainer who encouraged me to eat more protein but in balance with other macros, I've tried to stick with 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% good fats. It's been quite hard to increase my protein and I now use whey protein every day in a smoothie. I probably need to do more weight training now to improve muscle tone a bit more noticeably, but I'm scared stiff to increase my calorie intake after losing this weight over the last seven months
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    mrsajp wrote: »
    This is really useful info folks, I'm 52 and have reduced my weight from 77kg in January to 68.5kg right now (I think that's about 18 pounds loss) - I worked with a personal trainer who encouraged me to eat more protein but in balance with other macros, I've tried to stick with 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% good fats. It's been quite hard to increase my protein and I now use whey protein every day in a smoothie. I probably need to do more weight training now to improve muscle tone a bit more noticeably, but I'm scared stiff to increase my calorie intake after losing this weight over the last seven months

You might want to read this thread, it is about recomposition. Bulking which is eating over your TDEE/maintenance cals. is a different goal.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight

• ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go to the iifym site as recommended on the earlier post. Will give you a good idea. Studies show you can be as low as .8 up to 1 gram per pound but most will say 1gram per pound of LEAN body mass or slightly more for building. But each person is different.