Splenda - Sweet 'n Low- Natural Cane Sugar

Options
suvmom03103
suvmom03103 Posts: 18 Member
I love my coffee in the morning and love Ice tea. How does everyone fee about using a sweetener in their drinks? When I drink coffee (which is only one a day if that) I like regular natural cane sugar. But when I am drinking ice tea I really prefer Splenda. Thoughts??? B)

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    In coffee, I am good with real sugar. I tend to like stevia in tea, (or sometimes honey) because, at least, it comes from a plant. I have used splenda and regardless of the "it's a chemical" talk I don't use enough to worry me. I really have gone 360 on this. Tried to eliminate sugar, used all kinds of artificial sweeteners and back to just sugar. The few calories from sugar in my coffee is not what made me fat. Do what works for you.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    In hot tea or coffee, I'll use Splenda or if not at home, whatever sweetener is available. Even sugar, although it isn't my first choice. Never honey, because I am weird (or so my kids and husband say) and I hate the taste of it. Iced tea, unsweetened. Except for the honey thing, I'm pretty casual about the whole thing.
  • suvmom03103
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    In coffee, I am good with real sugar. I tend to like stevia in tea, (or sometimes honey) because, at least, it comes from a plant. I have used splenda and regardless of the "it's a chemical" talk I don't use enough to worry me. I really have gone 360 on this. Tried to eliminate sugar, used all kinds of artificial sweeteners and back to just sugar. The few calories from sugar in my coffee is not what made me fat. Do what works for you.

I will have to try Stevia. I have never tried it.. Thanks for your input !!

• MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    The few calories from sugar in my coffee is not what made me fat. Do what works for you.

Totally agree. Got to have sugar in my coffee. My big sis uses artificial sweetener in tea which she does perfectly, but I can't ever seem to get it right, so I use a little sugar.
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I too stick with sugar. I tried making those 37 calorie brownies a few weeks ago which called for using Truvia. OMG! I had a horrible taste in my mouth for the rest of the night! I'm not all that worried about the chemicals but man I hate the taste of them!!
  • suvmom03103
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I bought some Stevia for my tea the other day. taste is good.
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Actually, initially I replaced sugar with Splenda. The taste of Splenda was pretty close to sugar and I used this for a few years.

Then, I decided to try Stevia (which is apparently better for you) and it kind of grown on me over time even though I was not a big fan on the taste in the first few coffees.

But now, I just drink coffee either black or with a TSP of heavy cream and no sweeteners. After doing this for a few months, I just can't imagine putting sweetener in my coffee.

Maybe I am turning into a really old man! lol.

YMMV of course!

JB
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I drink about 15 cups of coffee a year. So I just go with regular sugar on those wild and crazy occasions.
  • traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sugar in my coffee... I trying to cut out aspartame which doesn't work in hot beverages anyway. Iced tea I drive k without sweetners. I do Splenda when I need sweetners in other drinks.
  • vapeanut28
    vapeanut28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of sugar in my coffee and typically drink 2-3 cups per day so the sugar calories were adding up. I tried Splenda but am not crazy about straight Splenda (2 packets not quite sweet enough, 3 too much and a decided chemical taste) so now I do half and half - 1 packet splenda & 2 tsp sugar. I'm going to try and cut down the sugar to 1 tsp. I realize its not a lot of calories but they all add up and over the course of a week that would support my 1/2 a candy bar addiction ;)
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I don't use any sweetener at all. If I did, it would be honey or brown sugar. Bad enough in their own rights, but they don't grow a fifth leg on a lab rat.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've cut way down but I still like some real sugar. I keep honey, maple syrup & agave in the house too.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,022 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/artificial-sweeteners/art-20046936

A decent article on the subject from the good folks at the Mayo Clinic.

Contrary to urban legend, sweeteners aren't the root of all evil (or was that money?) but, that being said, if one becomes accustomed to a certain level of sweetness in food and sweeteners aren't available, achieving that same taste with sugar might raise concerns.