Breakfast meat alternatives?

Options
I have been trying to find a good breakfast meat I like and I keep coming up short. Call me crazy, which I know you all will, but I'm not a bacon fan. It is also too salty for me. I am at an age where I am always retaining water especially in my ankles so I do have to watch my sodium intake. I've done sausage often but that seems to have a lot of fillers so I'm not completely happy with that. The best thing I've come up with is ham slices. But again, salty. Does anyone have any other ideas? I think I've tried them all but still can't find that one meat that I love.

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I would find a good butcher. I don't know where you live, but around here if I go outside of the big city, I can find a butcher who is using local meat to make their own bacon, sausage, etc. I can specify my needs and they'll do what I ask. You can ask what kind of fillers are in their sausage, you can ask for a less-salty bacon. One butcher that I know of has about 2 dozen bacon recipes that they will make upon request for heaven's sake!! Hopefully this is something that you can find in your area, too.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh that's awesome. I've never thought of that. Thank you.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Steak, baby. Steak. Also, pork loin chops. Just cook fresh meat to eat by itself, or have it with your eggs.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I gave up on breakfast meats. I've gone full circle on this and I'm back to my favorite.
    3 scrambled eggs with a little heavy cream, fried in butter & a little taco cheese on top.
    I just don't eat the 4 large biscuits with it anymore.

Once I dial in on a meal it takes me years to tire of it. :)
    After about 5 years my sweetie adds a new adjective.
    Do you want another "DAMN".....???
    What can I say? It works for me!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but here (in south Mississippi) their are smoked sausage links that I prefer over most patty type sausage. I also use sandwich/deli style roast beef, ham, Turkey, salami...for my breakfast. Make a frittata type egg and put the meats in it (chopped up with some cheese) and roll together like an omelette. I've been on a bit of a bacon break lately, but it will cycle around for me. I used to have horribly swollen ankles to the point that I could only wear Cr@c type shoes. Once I fully adapted this isn't a problem anymore. Now I get symptoms if I don't eat enough sodium.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    pork belly yum
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Make your own sausage from ground turkey. I use this recipe all the time, minus the brown sugar. Cooks in no time at all if you use a Foreman grill.

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/229989/turkey-breakfast-sausage/
  • randiewilliams72
    Options
    That recipe looks delicious. Thank you
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually do bacon, but I also like this sausage …
    http://www.alfrescoallnatural.com/products/breakfast-fully-cooked-chicken-patties?f=countrystyle
    1 carb, and lower sodium then most. I like the taste of them too.
  • jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, but you could try a non-meat alternative. I do a chocolate peanut butter smoothie (chocolate whey protein powder, full fat peanut butter and yogurt, almond milk). It's yummy, full of protein and good fat. It is a bit higher in carbs because of the whey powder (16g), but it keeps me going easily until lunch. 29g protein, 21 g fat
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jillmcafee wrote: »
    I don't know if this helps, but you could try a non-meat alternative. I do a chocolate peanut butter smoothie (chocolate whey protein powder, full fat peanut butter and yogurt, almond milk). It's yummy, full of protein and good fat. It is a bit higher in carbs because of the whey powder (16g), but it keeps me going easily until lunch. 29g protein, 21 g fat

You can get whey powder that doesn't have the added carbs. I'm a fan of Jay Robb when I use it. I used to do a similar smoothie, though didn't usually use yogurt and used heavy cream instead. The cream increased the carb content a little, but was still very filling.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'll eat ANY meat for breakfast...I can't imagine a meat that doesn't go w/ eggs. Steak & pork are very good suggestions. I'm not a big bacon fan either, meh.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I enjoy bacon and breakfast sausage, but I am finding they don't agree with me. I usually forego meat at breakfast in favor of either eggs with cheese and a wee bit of spinach, keto pancakes smeared with peanut butter, or just a BPC. On the weekends I do occasionally have some breakfast meat, but then I find myself belching half the day. LOL. A fried pork chop, steak, or small pieces of grilled chicken would make a fantastic sidekick to eggs, in my opinion! Mmm, making me want pork chops for dinner! :)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've heard the term 'breakfast' meat' before (is that like morning wood...? Haha!) but I would just eat any meat for breakfast. I usually have chicken. Steak is nice too or ground beef - I love meatballs.
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I find an avocado to be the perfect breakfast food for me. The fat fills me up and keeps me going until lunchtime. If you are a type of person who needs a protein kick in the morning, what about adding an egg? Another, less expensive breakfast meat I have thought about is throwing a bit of stewing beef in a small crockpot (the little ones... you know what I mean, you see them at potlucks keeping sauces warm next to the inevitable meatballs) with a bit of bone broth or stock and letting it cook over night. Warm beefy goodness in the morning, waiting for you! I think that will be my go-to breakfast once winter is here again.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    you could just eat something you'd typically have for lunch or dinner. I find it really doesn't matter!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've also done what @Schmeggly80 has done, Beef loin roast, first seared in a fry pan, then put in a cockpot with some beef stock, onions, overnight and Yum. I also second avocado! I second (third) that anything goes! lol

Back to meat - I recently found this cool website -Fatsecret.com
    It lists all the nutrition you are interested in, including the sodium levels, as that is a concern.
    It's easy to browse.

Here are the meats -
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/group/meat

You can also go with any Fish or Poultry - sodium levels seem to be lower than bacon and ham.
  • randiewilliams72
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. Breakfast 'beef stew' does sound like a great winter option.
  • MrsMES10
    MrsMES10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    TURKEY! We frequently buy roasted turkey breast from Costco (it's HUGE) and I dice leftovers into omelets. It's delicious!

Doing low carb has definitely made me open my mind about non-traditional breakfast foods. Anything can go in an omelet!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Not sure where you live but here (in south Mississippi) their are smoked sausage links that I prefer over most patty type sausage. I also use sandwich/deli style roast beef, ham, Turkey, salami...for my breakfast. Make a frittata type egg and put the meats in it (chopped up with some cheese) and roll together like an omelette. I've been on a bit of a bacon break lately, but it will cycle around for me. I used to have horribly swollen ankles to the point that I could only wear Cr@c type shoes. Once I fully adapted this isn't a problem anymore. Now I get symptoms if I don't eat enough sodium.

Ya learn something new everyday! Thanks Karlotta. In my 58 years, never heard of the word Frittata before. So I looked it up. It says the difference between an omlette and a frittata is the ingredients in a frittata are mixed into the egg, then lightly fried and then baked in an oven. Now, all my life I have "mixed" all kinds of ingredients into my eggs and scrambled them as you mentioned above. But never like the true definition of a frittata, where you finish it off in the oven. Do you finish them off in the oven?

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-a-frittata-and-an-omelet-word-of-mouth-216451 is the source for the definition of frittata.

I'll have to try this. I'm not sure why you have to finish them in the oven, but must be better, otherwise why would they go to the extra trouble?

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.