Over 50, Depressed, and Gaining Weight.

Options
mccourt63
mccourt63 Posts: 2 Member
Hi, this is my first group ever. Since I've turned 51, I feel like I have no control over my weight. I pretty much spend all my time in bed (unless my 16 yr old Daughter is home.) Nothing fits me, and I feel like I'm on the verge of tears all the time. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I have no to talk to. Literally.

Replies

• smithjcx2
    smithjcx2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know how you feel. I am 52 and have struggled with my weight for years. It is a wonderful thing to join a group of people who can walk with you on your goal of getting healthy. Reaching out when you feel depressed is the first step in changing. Don't be so hard on yourself. Love yourself even if you don't feel much like it. The world is a better place because you are in it. You have wonderful gifts and talents to share with the world. Always remember that!
  • mccourt63
    mccourt63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such kind words. I have been so depressed lately I feel like I can't find my way. It seems like I have nothing to contribute because of my illness and weight issues. I would love to hear from you again, you are such a dear person to take the time to reach out to a stranger. :)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Wondering if you have seen a doctor regarding your depression? If you are truly depressed, it is probably not going to go away on it's own. Losing weight is hard under the best of circumstances, so I think you need to deal with the depression first.
  • smithjcx2
    smithjcx2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, treating the depression is a good idea. If there is a Whole Foods Market near you, they have a wonderful team of people dedicated to health and well-being. Also, check out to see if there is a YMCA near you as they also have a wonderful team of people there who can help you. Unlike large corporate gyms, they are there to not only help you physically but emotionally as well not to mention the fact they are family-friendly and do lots of community outreach. I love the YMCA I go to. A book I would recommend to you is by herbalist, Susan Weed and it is called,
    Menopause, The Wise Woman Way. Hope this helps.
  • mommobile96
    mommobile96 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I often write myself letters. In them I write down my feelings whats going on etc. Its a great way to unload a multitude of emotions.
  • mommobile96
    mommobile96 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I often write myself letters. In them I write down my feelings whats going on etc. Its a great way to unload a multitude of emotions.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes first I'd see a doc about your depression. See if there is something to help. For me I started exercising nearly 4 years ago. It took about 1 year before other than physically to see changes. I lost 86 pounds. I got stronger, BUT I felt a tad more cheerful too. I walk to the gym. So was it the extra sunshine, the exercising, the slight changes in my diet, all of the above I just felt better. I started with one small change to my life. I committed to exercise. No dieting. I committed to giving exercise one full year of my time. Everyone said it was good for you and I wanted to prove to my doctor that it didn't work for me. That she needed to help me with something else and quit bringing up exercise. Damn if she wasn't correct for me. I do it now like I brush my teeth. I just get it done and go on with my day.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I'm 59 and holding. I'm depressed cause I had worked so hard to lose 35 lbs a few hrs ago slowly- took me 1.5 yrs -and then I gained it all back. I'm looking into Meds for depression and apathy. I was diagnosed a yr ago with Parkinsons and MS and apathy is a serious problem w/ PD and fatigue and depression with MS.

I've spoken with my dr and may start soon. But..... Folks what Meds are there that don't effect metabolism/ thyroid function or blood sugar, when you have low thyroid and glucose when pre diabetic or insulin resistant folks?????
  • lll0493
    lll0493 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Mccourt63...i can so relate to your post and would love to see an update on how you are doing and feeling. I went into hibernation the past 24 months after the suicide of my sister. I suffered from PTSD and depression and spent the 24 months in bed...only going out when i absolutely had to...work, store, etc. During this time i put on 13 pounds and was already over weight. One day my husband came in and said "get up and just move in the room for 15 minutes". He and I did various exercises in the room, marching in place, burpees even though i could barely get down and up...after 15 minutes I felt so much better. I was so ready to be back in life that i spend the next few week just focusing on movement. Not for weight loss but to chase the Blues away and to keep them away. I know from past experience the benefits of exercise for depression. I continued with the private movement in my home and then started to venture outside to walk. If you don't do anything else, get moving. Just start where you are. walk. Walk at the mall, at IKEA, etc. Just do it for mental health. The weight loss and eating healthy will come. I started looking at my next attempt to lose weight, especially all the belly fat i have accumilated and started back with my fitness pal on 10/13. I cannot believe all the extra calories available when i track my exercise or my steps are added. I know make sure i do some sort of purposeful movement every day simply for mental health. Please post an update on how you are doing I'd love to stay in touch. I have finally woke up!
  • AndreaB140
    AndreaB140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Over 50 and looking for support/friends :)
  • texgal927
    texgal927 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    58 yrs old and need to lose 50 lbs and get my sodium down
  • subs54
    subs54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mccourt63 and Themuseinme You say you are depressed. No need to feel that. Take it one step at a time and everyday is a clean slate. I will be 58 next week and after being skinny my whole life one day I looked at myself in the mirror and felt terrible because everything is falling, and I have a muffin top, etc. But when I heard my 2 year old great nephew has leukemia, and his 30 year old mother has thyroid cancer I put my crap in perspective and realized I am alive, fat and healthy, and grateful for it. So...think of the present and don't despair
  • jenandroxie
    jenandroxie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and have desperately struggled to get out of my increasingly fatter, sedentary lifestyle. I was always a walker, energetic. Last year a real downer, more TV and staying in bed. NOT living!!
    I have felt awful, poor lab results I do not want to repeat until I have improved.
    This is the end of the road!!
    I have about 70# to lose. It happens one day, one meal at a time, whatever it takes to stay conscious. I'm done with feeling tired, nauseous, isolated.
    Please friend me and we can do this together. It's possible. I see people all around me who are healthy and the same age or older. No more excuses!!
  • lll0493
    lll0493 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone, just an update from me.....just got my son off to return to college and cleaned out my pantry and refrigerator....detoxing from sugar. I'm have to say my eating has been up and down while he was home but am very happy to say i have been consistent with my walking. I have come to absolutely love walking and am up to 12,000 steps a day. If i can't walk outside, my husband and i will go to the mall or big box store to get steps in. I've read several post about many women feeling depressed. Every day is a new day to start or start over....keep on trying and never give up. Start with one meal a day and focus on what you can do to make the meal a healthy meal. Make purposeful movement a daily activity just like brushing your teeth. If you are sedentary and sitting in a chair all day watching TV, Get up at every commercial and walk around your house until your show comes back on. This is what i am trying to get my 83 year old mom to do just to keep the depression away. We are all hear with a common goal and with this much support, one can only succeed. NEVER GIVE UP!
  • joaneo421
    joaneo421 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am trying to gain more control over what I eat. Used to be thin then every year it seems u put on 5 lbs and it adds up. I'm 59 and joined Pilates today. If you're depressed please go talk to your doctor. Meds really do help! Join a class at ur local rec center. You're not alone in your struggle.
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm sending friend requests to the people here who posted in January. I joined the group for moral support--I know we can do this.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Please add me as a friend too! I lost 45lbs and thought I knew what it took to lose weight. Life interupted and I put it all back. Been trying since start of 2015 to lose it and more, to no avail. My body just doesnt seem to respond anymore to low calories!! Im so lost. Not quite 50 but desperately need some friends who understand what its like to eat right and still not lose.
  • nmcknny
    Options
    SweetTooth, life has a habit of interrupting :/ Exercise would help me but I just can't seem to make myself do it--the weather is lousy for walking.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Hi all of you if you are truly depressed you need to seek medical help. If it's winter blues like I get you need to get active. Get up in the morning fix yourself up to meet the queen. Then you feel like facing the word. This morning I didn't do that was even to down to hit the shower so hair not done. Needless to say I stayed home and veged all day I know my bad. I need to get out of this rut I call it.
    Tomorrow will need to be a better day it certainly can't get worst. But stuck to my healthy eating today so that in itself is a plus. Want to keep my b/s in a healthy zone.

See you all lighter
    Linda
  • nmcknny
    Options
    Linda, I love your sign-off!

See you lighter, too!
    Nancy