Is this really right? (Fitbit/TDEE/cals)

Options
V79F
V79F Posts: 12 Member
I started using a fitbit charge HR 2 weeks ago. So far I love it and it's gotten me to move more, Yay.
I have a desk job and started C25K which so far I've only done twice a week, but I do take a lot of regular walks with my toddler on my back (baby wearing is exercise!) or in the stroller and we have a lot of stairs in our house.
I'm 36 years old, current weight around 80kgs and height 171cm. Scooby and fitbit both have my BMR at 1561.
Now fitbit tells me my average calories over the last 2 weeks has been 2567 a day. Calculating a 15% lower amount would have me eating 2057 a day. Yikes. That's a LOT.
Before the fitbit I calculated from Scooby using sedentary or lightly active which put me way, way lower.

Can this really be right? Or do I have something set up wrong with my fitbit? Or is fitbit just lying?
It just seems so wrong that without much real exercise I'm using up well over 2500 cals a day.

Please reassure me or tell me what I'm doing wrong :)

P.S. not syncing fitbit and MFP. That constantly changing number confused me too much.

Replies

• kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not sure what you're using....I just input your numbers over at scooby and got

TDEE said 1873 (BMR is BASAL metabolic rate and the number of cals you would need in a coma). I put in desk job lightly active.

If your fit bit is telling you you are burning 2567 then I would stay with that and see. How long have you been dieting? How much have you lost? What cal level have you been at?
  • V79F
    Options
    I've been changing my eating habits, hoping to lose some weight for 45 days now (after a couple years of not giving a crap about weight due to pregnancy, breastfeeding etc).
    5 weeks on EM2WL approx with my TDEE figured at 1825 for the fist 3,5-4 weeks of that and since just over a week I increased to a TDEE around 2000 because I saw that I was more than desk/lightly active based on the first few days of fitbit.
    But 1873 which I figured as my max, 2000 as what I thought was more accurate or 2567 which fitbit tells me is a huge difference. Almost 700 calories used more than what I always figured I used. It gives me that 'if it looks too good to be true, it probably is' feeling.

Have lost about 2,5 kgs in the last 6 weeks or so. But only about 0.4 of that in the last 2,5 weeks.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    As you said, you are carrying your toddler, walking a lot, going up and down the stairs, etc. That does burn a bunch of calories. How long have you been using your fitbit? I'd give it a few more weeks and see what it. In the meantime, why not try out the middle point of the two numbers you figure out and see what happens?
  • V79F
    Options
    Been using it 2 weeks now and won't just jump up. I'm just completely baffled by the possibility of my TDEE being over 2500.
    And wanted to make sure it's even possible.

I will keep on keeping my eyes on the averages :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 167.5 cm, 66.2 kg and 46 years old. I lift 3x a week and do a sprint training 1-2x a week for 20 minutes with some minor dog walking & whatnot. My TDEE is minimally 2350. So I wouldn't be shocked at all that your TDEE would be 2500 calories for all that you do. Kids give you a good burn!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya - you are burning more than you think.

Think about this - what is your actual experience with daily burn values to base your opinion on?

You guessing from rough 5 levels in TDEE chart?

If that's it - then you are totally influenced by probably diet eating levels - and what has that been based on?

Minimal diets, the 1200 calorie diets thrown out everywhere?

Did you ever log what you used to eat that got you to point of needing to lose, and did you have baby then?

Most have no idea of how much they probably burned.

You can go pick some past day in MFP and log what you recall as typical meals eaten in a day, and snacks, hoping you get the serving size correct.
    Now see how much you burned there if you were kind of maintaining weight, because they both matched.

So merely need to eat less than that amount to lose weight - and if no baby at that time, you burn even more now.

Also - your Fitbit is actually underestimating your daily burn, because it logs all your non-moving time as BMR level calorie burn.
    But when awake you burn more - RMR.
    When standing not moving you burn even more, like just standing carrying baby on back.
    When digesting food you burn about 10% of calories eaten.
    All that is non-accounted for.

You are easily that, increase calories slowly to that reasonable level.
  • V79F
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) super useful info.
    I've only ever logged when I've wanted to lose weight, but I have entered a typical day's worth of eating when I was gaining and boy, that was a lot of calories I was eating.

I guess I better start believing it and figure out a better eating plan with enough calories because I'm still snacking too much.

And start lifting :) and keep up my C25K!!