Gym Membership

Options
MermaidBex
MermaidBex Posts: 49 Member
FINALLY! I've been feeling like odd gal out because I have had only the lake to swim in and I haven't been able to get there every day. I've been working out however I can, I just haven't been able to swim much. Well, I FINALLY got the word this past week. I have an appointment for orientation Friday at my local Y. I've been trying to hit a weight loss of 20 pounds (which is doable) by the time I go to the gym Friday morning. Then I'll start throwing into the "have you swum today" thread with the rest of you! I'm moved to tears, I'm so happy! LOVE it!

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Good stuff mermaid and welcome back to the group
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Yay, mermaidbex!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I was actually a bit jealous of your openwater swims ....i didnt make it out to a lake at all this summer to see if my new lap prowess will translate at all ...
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call open water swimming "only."

Honestly, that's my tougher (though much more fun) training.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a lake this weekend and my husband mentioned open swimming. I've never done it-I have visions of my veering to the middle of the lake and drowning. :-P
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I'm going to a lake this weekend and my husband mentioned open swimming. I've never done it-I have visions of my veering to the middle of the lake and drowning. :-P

When I open-water swim (which I don't do much of these days. . ) I usually end up either
    (a) doing some sort of heads-up stroke (heads-up breast stroke or a modified dog paddle sort of thing) so I can keep my bearings; or
    (b) going with a snorkel and mask so I can "orienteer" from under water landmarks.