A little question on squats

Options
Graceious1
Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
I just love squats and have been doing the strong lifts programme again for about 3 weeks. I have been standing with my legs wide and then going down at a normal pace then coming up slowly but not sure how effective it is. So I just want to ask what is the most effective way to squat? All responses will be much appreciated.

Replies

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It depends what your lifting goals are and the style of squat.

A wider stance low bar will let you move more weight and will get you a good posterior chain, but not much in the quads. ATG depth high bar and front squat will develop those quads more than posterior and require a more narrow stance for balance.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

A wider stance low bar will let you move more weight and will get you a good posterior chain, but not much in the quads. ATG depth high bar and front squat will develop those quads more than posterior and require a more narrow stance for balance.

So, if I was doing 5x5 strong lift squats and I have to do them every workout, would it be beneficial to vary my stance? So one workout wide stance, the other more narrow or should one focus on one goal at a time? Right now, my stance is more narrow, like hip-width apart, haven't tried the wider stance. I go down not super slow, but not super fast- I know that's not a super helpful gauge, but I try to keep moving.
  • Graceious1
    Options
    What is ATG?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I do my stance based in part what is comfortable for me. I don't have my feet overly wide, a little more than shoulder width but not much more. I do point my toes out at an angle because it helps so that my stomach doesn't rest on my thighs when I'm in the bottom of the squat. I go up slow because the weight is heavy, lol. Then again, since I started with high bar and didn't do low bar until months later, I actually can lift heavier with high bar than low bar, which isn't the norm.

Bar position (low versus high) and other can be a factor too. And ATG is a reference to going lower than parallel, basically as low as you can go in good form but not sitting on the ground, while trying to limit rounding that can occur at a certain point.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    What is ATG?

*kitten*-to-grass. It means squatting so low your butt almost touches the ground.
  • Graceious1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That makes sense now. What is a good position or exercise to kill inner thigh fat?

• bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    That makes sense now. What is a good position or exercise to kill inner thigh fat?

As far as I know from the wisdom across the boards, you cannot spot reduce fat. In order to lose inner thigh fat, you'll have to go into a deficit to lose weight, but you can't pick and choose where it drops off. I gain first in my stomach and lose last in my stomach area. Some women gain in their butt/thighs and are last to lose there. It's different for everyone and in large part genetic.

Now, gaining muscle and definition or "toning" there can't hurt. Like if you don't have much fat there, but loose/wobbly skin, then I bet muscle there would help some.

• slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Every single person will have a different squat stance & form due to differences in anatomy. Pelvic joints come in all shapes & sizes, you'd be surprised how much they differ person to person.

Squat however is comfortable for your body & ask a friend to film you so you can check your form.

Yes there are slight differences in amounts of muscle fibres recruited between different techniques, but unless you're training as an athlete or for a sports-specific goal, don't over-think it.

Squat however comes naturally to you. If you're slowly getting stronger, you're doing it right.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Indeed, there are different stances for sport-specific training. The two stances you mention are basically a Powerlifting stance vs an Olympic lifting stance.
    They do recruit different fibres of the same muscles, but they still recruit the same muscles.

For the average person doing general training I would say any stance that is comfortable for them is fine, providing they are going down to parallel or lower.

• Graceious1
    Options
    @bmele0 I must stress that I am not looking to spot reduce because I do an all over workout as well as martial arts, cycling, running and eating healthier. I actually want to develop my quads and want to know a good position to stand in. Thank you for your response @slimlifter because I now feel stronger and know now that I am doing it right. I have taken on board what posters have said and have started putting ATG and it feels gooood! Thank you for all of your responses.
  • JackieOG35
    JackieOG35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and just started jogging/walking routine about 2 weeks now. It is week 11 of working out and I'm down 42lbs. Tried to do squats and can't go down far just a little bend of the knees. What can I do to go down and do the squats properly?
  • Graceious1
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would suggest to keep on practicing and making sure you stretch before start. When you do squat try to make sure you put your butt as close to the ground as you can. As some here say... *kitten* To Grass. If you have a problem with your knees be careful and possibly go and visit your Doctor or an Osteopath. Well done on what you have done in 11 weeks Jackie.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Good video for basic perfect squat form, no weights, get the form down first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYCiuiB4PA
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My crossfit trainer has me do squats holding to a pole in front so I can get the whole range of motion while building up my muscles. I have arthritis in my knees and this is really helping me building up the muscles. I can do squats without holding on to pole (I do them this way in boot camp) bu7t the form is not as good at all, and they are not as deep. By going a lot deeper with the pole, my knees are feeling a lot better.
  • Graceious1
    Options
    That is such a good technique @Merrysix and well done on being able to do squats without the pole.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    As long as I remember to push my knees out and not let them cave to the inside I do great with squats. Those times I lose my focus and let the knees go in I end up hurting them. It helps to have a mirror to look at while doing the squats for this reason.
  • Graceious1
    Options
    I have started doing box squats without the weights, while being side on in the mirror and it has really made a difference to my form.