Looking for some Primal/Paleo Friends

Options
reisingmel
reisingmel Posts: 50 Member
I've been a member of this group for a long while now and I've begun refocusing on going primal. I know I feel a million times better while eating this way and I lose weight with much less effort and struggle. So I guess I'm just looking for some people I can send friend requests to that will be able to relate to the initial struggles of cutting out gluten and most dairy. Most of my real world friends and family think I'm insane for even attempting this even though I know it makes me feel good.

For now, my game plan is to do bulletproof coffee for breakfast and then I try to fast until 1-2pm and then I have a protein and fat focused lunch, and then some protein, fat, and some starch for dinner. I have to admit that the fasting until 2pm is the hardest part for me. I work in an office and I'm not always busy so my mind wanders to food and I start thinking about how hungry I am. I've made sure I don't have any of the bad foods waiting for me to snack on while at work - which helps me stay true to primal, but I feel starved by noon on average.

I'm really looking forward to the part when the sugar and carb cravings die down. Today (day 3 for me) has been especially hard. A coworker brought in my favorite donuts and I was able to turn them down but when she brought up her lunch of Special K cereal, all I could think about are those bars made with that cereal with peanut butter, corn syrup, with a chocolate and butterscotch top layer. That has always been my weakness and I could never stop at just one and so I just never make them and it's rare to be somewhere were someone has, but man, I feel like I can just taste them! So yeah, looking forward to when that urge isn't as strong at least!

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request-- I'm following a low-carb version of the paleo Autoimmune Protocol, have started reintroducing dairy.
  • reisingmel
    reisingmel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Sent you a friend request-- I'm following a low-carb version of the paleo Autoimmune Protocol, have started reintroducing dairy.

How has it been working for you? Any reactions to the dairy? I know I'm sensitive to dairy, but I live in Wisconsin where dairy is just part of life
  • SharoninBeaufort
    SharoninBeaufort Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am working on going Primal too - just sent friend request!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'm on here almost every day! I decided to first give primal ago about a month and a half ago and lost 5kgs and feel so much more control of food :) I have 3 meals and one late afternoon snack a day

You said you were struggling with fasting until lunch time. If its a big struggle for you why not build a snack into your day to get you through? Nuts, jerky, salami, a boiled egg, your veggie sticks of choice should all keep well.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    reisingmel wrote: »
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

How has it been working for you? Any reactions to the dairy? I know I'm sensitive to dairy, but I live in Wisconsin where dairy is just part of life

I grew up in WI on my grandpa's guernsey farm, so the though of giving up dairy seemed impossible for me at first! I'm tolerating small amounts of heavy whipping cream and cheese. Twice when I've had butter I've had some GERD symptoms, so I'm holding off on that. And I've had an MG flare for the past several weeks, probably related to a febrile illness (they're treating me for tick-borne disease), but I'm going to hold off on heavy whipping cream for another month then reintroduce again.

Next reintro is egg yolks :)
  • sailorsoju
    sailorsoju Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just added you! I've been on and off paleo/primal for several years... the biggest success I've had was my first attempt 5 years ago, losing about 30 lbs! I gained it all back due to college and a very unhealthy relationship with food. A full-time, sit-down job replaced the college situation and my weight has been creeping up since, along with a myriad of other symptoms. I might be sitting on undiagnosed thyroid issues.

My focus at this point is eating all of my meals at home or prepared at home. I'm in the process of moving two states away so it might get more difficult as the date gets closer, but when is it ever the right time?

The fridge at work is stuffed with sodas, energy drinks, frozen sausage croissants, frozen pot pies... it's hard to not let my fingers grab something when I'm feeling weak!
  • colorsatdawn
    colorsatdawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm definitely looking for a paleo community here. I also feel so much better when I'm mostly paleo, which I've been doing for the past year or so. I'm experimenting with adding some things back in when I crave it, like a little cheese in a recipe here and there and peanut butter (more than I should). But I also have to keep an eye on my belly, because I found that with more strict paleo, I seem to have fewer issues!

I'm big on protein and fat, and I go as low carb as my body wants me to. I try to stay under 100 grams of carbs a day and go over 100 grams of protein, if I can! Does anyone else track their macros? And what about setting calorie goals? I find that to be the hardest thing because I do some strength training, and I don't want to go too low.
  • MelaniLight
    MelaniLight Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! I recently switched from Primal to Paleo, and having a support system is definitely helping with the transition.
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a few friends as well. Have been eating Paleo/ primal for the last 3 years and lost about 30 lbs initially. Started grad school and gained nearly all of it back over the two years. I did manage to stay at least 80% Paleo the entire time as well as gluten free (I'm sensitive) but still managed to gain weight. Starting over without the stress and emotional eating and trying to stay LCHF as well.
  • janpuzzle31
    janpuzzle31 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have tried to eat primal for about 2 years now, though I don't always achieve it. Living in a rather sleepy part of England I don't come across many other people who really understand paleo/primal and I long for conversation with like minded people!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sending request! Primal/paleo peoples feel free to add me! Even though my profile says I'm not accepting, I do that for creepers :p lol.
    I'm trying to get back to where I was before after gaining back 10-ish pounds.
  • lupie777
    lupie777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking for some paleo friends on MFP. Please add me I'm in month 6 of paleo I started with the AIP for 30 days but I didn't follow the reintroductions correctly so I think I need to start that over. I'm trying to put my 4 autoimmune disorders into remission. I'm always looking for advice and suggestions. I lost 10 lbs right away then nothing. I am trying to figure out what I may be doing wrong.
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I am more primal vs paleo but just finished last week a month of whole 3o. I try to be as paleo as possible but do occassion have dairy or whole grain.
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm just about through my first week on primal. Going well so far except feeling quite angry at the drop of a hat. But down 7lbs!
  • Weightever
    Weightever Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm really into primal eating as well - I found it 1,5 years ago but haven't really been able to follow it 100 %. I don't know why, because I feel really good when I'm doing it properly. I still need to work on it. It's nice to meet some like-minded people though. When I started this I drove my husband crazy by constantly talking about this lifestyle. I just couldn't help it, primal makes so much sense!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'll send out a few friend invites based on this thread! I have lost some of the 20+lbs I gained in the last couple of years by just eliminating (most of the time, anyway) my cracker addiction (cheez-its, goldfish, that kind of crap). I drink lots of green smoothies, eat a ton of salads, and try not to overdo it on carbs, but am still eating rice, quinoa, beans/lentils (which I find very difficult to give up), and occasional pasta.

I have lost some pounds but not a lot of body fat. As a runner, I am nervous about going lower carb but know that it is a very effective way to lose body fat. A thread in the low carb group convinced me that it's only the first few weeks that performance suffers, if at all. Since I don't have any races planned, I am going to go Primal/LCHF in October to see how it goes. I could use more friends, too, for support!

I've dipped my toes in the Primal waters for the past couple of years, but haven't stuck with it for any significant length of time. Not sure why - I guess I still have a hard time letting go of the old fat makes you fat wisdom.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Anyone is welcome to add me too. I have been Primal for 5 years now and have a good amount of experience.
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I piggybacked on this message and sent some friend requests. But am willing to be a friend of anyone from this group. I am a week in. Doing pretty well....but would love to listen/bounce ideas and look for support. Feel free to add/request.
    Thanks!
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So nice to hear the support growing! Anyone notice a decline in weight loss during certain times of the month?
  • bbeettina
    bbeettina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I'm on day 16 of the 21 day sugar detox and I am loving it. I have no cravings. I am never "hangry'. It has made a huge difference in how I feel. After the 21 days are over I'm planning to transition to Primal/Paleo. Although I have always eaten fresh home cooked meals about 90% of the time, I am a carb addict. I love pastas, breads, potatoes, rice. So although my meals were 'healthy' as in home-made not from processed, I still slowly but surely put on the pounds and ate huge portions of comfort food.

Since cutting out carbs/sugar and increasing protein, fats and vegetables, my blood sugar levels have stabilized. I'm not starving and have no problems at all staying under my calorie limit..and I'm down 7 pounds.

I'm tracking Macros and am aiming for 1,500 calories a day, 56 grams of carbs (veggie only) 25 grams of sugar (naturally occuring only) 94 grams of protein and 100 grams of healthy fats. It's a strange mix but seem to be working so far.

I've sent out friend requests.