What are your favorite go-to protein snacks?

Options
Ok I'm over 3-1/2 years post op. I have gained some weight and am working hard to get the weight back off and continue on to my ultimate weight goal.
I've been at the long enough to know that I have to stick to around 1000-1200 calories a day while keeping my carbs in the 50-60 grams a day range max to loose weight (1-2 pounds a week).
So anyway, here is my current problem. I am needing some new low calorie, low carb protein snacks that are quick and easy but very filling (at 3+ years out, I need more volume than those newly sleeved (within first year).

I have worn myself out on the quick easy stuff like turkey pepperoni, yogurt, and cottage cheese. I don't eat eggs or greek yogurt as I can't stomach them. I also don't do protein shakes anymore as I had to choke them down early on to get my protein in and since I can actually eat, I don't drink my calories especially since I don't like the shakes anyway.

I do still eat lunch meat, nuts, cheeses, string cheese, and sometimes tuna, but want some suggestions to add variety so I don't get burnt out and go back to eating junk.

Replies

• blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds, dried seaweed, protein-enhanced skim milk are my go-tos. The seaweed is not very filling but it takes a long time to eat and satisfies the bored snacking thing really well - like eating chips.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I eat protein bars, beef jerky, turkey jerky, and lately I have been getting the baked tofu from Trader Joe's, it's super filling. I have also bought the protein soups and hot chocolate, under 100 calories and 12-15 grams of protein.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas ladies. I like the snacky foods so the seaweed and jerky may be good options to change things up a bit there and with winter in a couple months, I will definitely be trying some the protein soups.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Up the fat a little to help satisfy you without too much more bulk. I make protein pancakes (lots of recipes out there) and put butter or whipped cream and sugar free jelly/preserves on top. Eggs of course - take 1 egg and mix with 2 svgs egg whites (I get the liquid kind in a carton) and make omelets with peppers and stuff in them. I also get things like cheddar brats for a "meal" (one brat is about 200 calories, almost no carbs, good protein/fat mix and just big enough to fill me up for awhile. No bread or even condiments needed).

I am 4 years out. I can pretty well eat fairly normal sized meals (real normal, not American normal :) )

Oh - and start lifting heavy weights if you havent. Putting on some muscle means you have a lot more freedom with calories and food. I maintain on 1800-2200 calories for last year and a half (i am basically at goal). i am 5'5" and under about 135 pounds at 22% body fat (got down to 17% at 128 pounds and decided too skinny so ate 2400 calories til I gained a few pounds - fun switch from dieting :) ).
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like to make a homemade chicken salad (with premium chunk chicken, olive oil mayo, dill pickle relish and creamy mustard) that I can put on a 1/2 slice of delightful bread or I love roasted red pepper hummus with carrots or crackers called 34 degree cracked black pepper. I also will choose a Quest protein bar or jack links original jerky if I'm needing more protein. Quest also has protein chips and I do like the sea salt and vinegar (didn't at first, but I tried them again and was ok with them..21g protein, 5 carb
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bunch of different protein sources, including making my own protein bars. I've settled on the Quest Nutrition products. I love the protein bars, protein powder and the protein chips. The Quest "pasta" is different but I'm liking it also. I know these are a little pricey, but in the scheme of things including not eating nearly as much as before, they work for me.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I buy the big bags of light Baybel cheeses at Costco and always keep those in my fridge. I also keep precooked bacon, hummus, pork rinds, and really nice deli meats on hand for quick snacks. For when I'm on the run, I'll often grab 2oz of deli meat, 1 slice of light swiss, and roll them together to eat as a quick snack or meal. I also keep a couple of Bumblebees Snack packs on hand for a ready, no fridge needed snack that I can toss in my purse and take wherever I need to.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Jerky, nuts and hard boiled eggs
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot. You said you sometimes eat tuna. I like tuna but not tuna salad (hate mayo). I make a tuna avocado salad (just tuna with mushed up avocado) and I can actually eat more of it than plain tuna. It tastes great and the avocado makes it go down smoother or something.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    4 years out here and still working towards goal. My nut recently upped my calories to 1200 and lowered my carbs to get the weight loss started again, so I have the same issues you do. I did add back in protein shakes, but I'm pickey about the brand and flavors. Can't do just any of them. I also like to snack on cold steak, sliced thin, almost like jerky but not dried. It's a great way to use my leftover steak and very high protein. I've been eating spinach dip made more with plain yogurt, feta cheese and artichokes. Dipped with raw vegetables is really good.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    4 years out here and still working towards goal. My nut recently upped my calories to 1200 and lowered my carbs to get the weight loss started again, so I have the same issues you do. I did add back in protein shakes, but I'm pickey about the brand and flavors. Can't do just any of them. I also like to snack on cold steak, sliced thin, almost like jerky but not dried. It's a great way to use my leftover steak and very high protein. I've been eating spinach dip made more with plain yogurt, feta cheese and artichokes. Dipped with raw vegetables is really good.

I hear you on the shakes. I just can't seem to force myself to drink them anymore. Even the ones I liked aren't even tolerable anymore.

I eat cold roasted chicken, cold steak, even cold pork chops when we have leftovers.

My biggest downfall is that since I can eat fairly normal portions at this point, sticking to 1200 calories while low carbing it is hard. :(
  • mareacuda
    mareacuda Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I make batches of what my sister calls "guacamole chicken salad". I usually shred a rotisserie chicken, add avocado, diced onion, diced tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Eat by itself or on a bed of lettuce.. so good. One batch lasts me for days. I also make ceviche with similar ingredients- shrimp and crabmeat mixed with onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice. High protein, low carb and lower calorie without the avocado. For a different flavor profile, I will go Greek... cucumber, green peppers, onion, feta cheese, chicken, light greek vinaigrette.

You could also try making some higher protein dips (using plain greek yogurt as a base) and then using cucumber slices as chips.

I am 4.5 years out from my surgery, so I definitely feel you and have been working hard to get my weight back down and keep the low carb/1200 cal diet going.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do still eat lunch meat, nuts, cheeses, string cheese, and sometimes tuna, but want some suggestions to add variety so I don't get burnt out and go back to eating junk.

I'm doing very low carbs myself at the moment. I do have a couple of suggestions to add some variety. For snacks I go straight to pork rinds. I know they aren't everyone's thing, but when I need a potato chip they satisfy that craving. The best part, you can usually get them in a few flavors so they don't burn you out.

Also, experiment with seasonings. With the stuff you're eating get creative with how you are preparing it. Rosemary on chicken. Sage on pork. Utilize your crock pot if you have one.

I've always been an adventurous eater. Tandoori chicken is low in carbs. Sashimi is a good sushi replacement. Jimmy John's does every single version of their sandwich in a low carb lettuce wrap.

I'm also going to give you a few links.

genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
    goo.gl/Snq9O
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Oh the ceviche sounds good! I'm going to make that today!
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    Paul, I love pork rinds. My problem with them is I like them too much. lol I have to buy the single serving bags out of the snack machine at work because if I buy the bigger bags, I eat the whole thing or darn near in one setting. Pork rinds are a great replacement for my love of chips and crackers since the are crunchy and salty.
    I also love to do wraps (either lettuce or on low carb tortillas). They are perfect for lunch.
  • denicejo
    denicejo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Quest bars and chips are my fave!!! Deviled eggs made with greek yogurt not mayo, slices of deli meat, string cheese and salt and vinegar pork rinds.