What do you mean by clean eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• rushmama5
    rushmama5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    Well, I am a non-native speaker of English and when someone says that they buy nothing in a bag or box, it obviously does not mean the same to me. We have no bulk bins in super markets ( the law wants to avoid that people can touch the stuff with unclean hands and this way contaminate the food ) and even if I buy bulk items ( like legumes or pulses ) in a neighborhood market, they have to be packed by law in a new clean bag. I bought lentils yesterday in the supermarket and they all came in a sealed 1 kilo bag and the Barilla pasta I bought came in a 500gr box . The bag said in the ingredient list : " rice " and the pasta listed " durum wheat and water " , which is what I was looking for.
    OMG pasta and legumes and rice! recipe for fat! I guess I thought this was going to be more of a Paleo group. Clean eaters often eat organic meats, eggs, dairy, and no gluten for sure, many do no legumes or grain at all.
  • rorobonobo
    rorobonobo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome, thanks for posting it. I've started eating a lot better over the last few weeks but clean eating is what I want. I'm starting from today - nothing processed! Tonight, steak and veggies :D

I have already started feeling so much better just by cutting out soda, and fatty take away stuff. I still eat the odd fatty thing though. (we made korean sticky crunch chicken wings the other night, but nothing processed!)

:)
  • Dakota106
    Dakota106 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just made a nice pot of veggie and bean soup and it smells delicious! Used celery,kale spinach,carrots,onions,zucchini and green beans. Lot's of veggies from the garden! Diane
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My understanding of clean eating is like eating how my grandparents ate.... Before science made a better tomato. So, non gmo, preferably organic fruit and veg, homemade preserves, grass fed beef, eggs from the chook pen, and shop food was gotten once a month. Then I googled clean eating and gluten is the devil and processed food his minions. All food has to be processed. I'm going to stick with my understanding.
  • lindas_eating_clean
    lindas_eating_clean Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Then I googled clean eating and gluten is the devil and processed food his minions.

Love this quote! LOL
    I consider myself a clean eater.... no processed foods, no wheat, no gmos..... I have never felt better!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    rushmama5 wrote: »
    Ang108 wrote: »
    Well, I am a non-native speaker of English and when someone says that they buy nothing in a bag or box, it obviously does not mean the same to me. We have no bulk bins in super markets ( the law wants to avoid that people can touch the stuff with unclean hands and this way contaminate the food ) and even if I buy bulk items ( like legumes or pulses ) in a neighborhood market, they have to be packed by law in a new clean bag. I bought lentils yesterday in the supermarket and they all came in a sealed 1 kilo bag and the Barilla pasta I bought came in a 500gr box . The bag said in the ingredient list : " rice " and the pasta listed " durum wheat and water " , which is what I was looking for.
    OMG pasta and legumes and rice! recipe for fat! I guess I thought this was going to be more of a Paleo group. Clean eaters often eat organic meats, eggs, dairy, and no gluten for sure, many do no legumes or grain at all.

I can't relate to " clean " eating, because I have no idea what it means. The same is true for what is called the Paleo diet. Coming from a " cook & eat at home " culture and having lived in similar countries all my life, I have eaten all my life home cooked, all natural, whole foods that are not industrially processed or altered. I do however eat things that are artesanally cured, salted, dried, fermented, ground etc.
    I have lost 65 plus pounds without avoiding carbs and have no problems with gluten. I do feel sorry for people who do, but would never make a blanket statement saying that pasta and legumes and rice are recipes for fat, because it is not true for everyone.
    I also understand that many " clean " eaters " eat organic meats, eggs, dairy, and no gluten for sure, many do no legumes or grain at all ".
    However other " clean " eaters eat other things and in my case it does not matter, because I have never claimed to be a " clean " eater, which for me would mean that I eat according to a philosophy where no one knows what it really means in the first place.
    I am a strong advocate for each individual finding their " program " and make it work for them, but really don't care for blanket statements very much.

If you are looking for a Paleo group just do a search and I am certain you will find several...:o).
    Good Luck !

• losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No I meant minimize processed. I do processed foods occasionally bread - some pasta - ice cream but I try to get the least processed options. Homemade if possible but be picky if not! Shrug 80/20 rule does apply because none of us are perfect! and I don't want to struggle with perfectionism.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like Dr. Robert Lustig's (author of "Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease") guidelines for eating clean. If the food is labeled with a nutrition facts panel, it probably isn't your best choice. Instead, use foods as they come off the tree, out of the ground, or off the animal.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    REAL foods, not processed! Pretty much the perimeter of a grocery store :)