Little help please :)

Options
Valtishia
Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
Stats: 220lbs, F, 33 years old, 5'6 and current activity level includes:
3-4 lifting sessions per week of minimum an hour, average walking 30-60 minutes per day, swimming 30 mins a couple times per week. I am pretty sedentary other than that as I am between jobs at the moment, but I do have a two year old who expends a bit more of my energy lol.

Using Scooby's calculator, I chose 3-5 hours which I think is pretty fair. That gives me a TDEE of 2670 according to calculator. I had been away from EM2WL for a few months due to some medication issues. I wasn't tracking my food too much during this time. I was gaining at 2600 cals, then I lowered it to 2500... appeared to maintain at first then started to gain again. Lowered it to 2300 and still having gain issues.

My question... should I be doing a reset? Or am I doing something else wrong? The medication may be having a bit of an impact, but this still seemed pretty excessive. Especially since earlier this year I was eating 3000 cals and maintaining with the only real difference being the job I went to. I can't see this contributing too much though since it was a desk job.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: Inches have gone up slightly as well. Some areas I know it is muscle like my arms cause I can clearly see it... but the hips and waist are definitely not.

Replies

• Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am sure others will answer this completely for you. On the low end of your excercise if you are only working out M-F you are at 6.5hrs to the top end 10hrs on excercise alone not counting the toddler. So your activity level would be higher than the 3-5hours you picked on Scooby. I would go back and change that detail.
  • Valtishia
    Options
    I had picked 3-5 since I don't really consider walking as much. I do consider it.... just not hour for hour. Is this incorrect?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is correct - walking is about 1/2 time as running, and should count as such if that is only workout.

But, extra credit for toddler active.

Might try this to bring together exercise and daily activity that the TDEE charts just don't do.

Just TDEE please, better than 5 level TDEE charts.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

But it does sound higher.

A tad, I filled it out for you - but you'll have to make a copy for updating later, or if workouts change.
    But if swimming is more calm effort like walking, goes in other spot.
  • Valtishia
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    That is correct - walking is about 1/2 time as running, and should count as such if that is only workout.

But, extra credit for toddler active.

Might try this to bring together exercise and daily activity that the TDEE charts just don't do.

Just TDEE please, better than 5 level TDEE charts.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

But it does sound higher.

A tad, I filled it out for you - but you'll have to make a copy for updating later, or if workouts change.
    But if swimming is more calm effort like walking, goes in other spot.

Thank you very much for the chart. It is very helpful.

I updated the numbers as per your instructions. It gave me TDEE of 2678. 2410 at a 10% cut and 2276 at a 15% cut. It seems like my numbers were pretty close.... but not getting the intended effects.

Maybe I do just need a reset after all that craziness over the last few months. I expect I will gain some more, but hopefully it will level out. I've been feeling on the week side at 2300 cals too. My lifts are suffering a bit and I am craving carbs like mad. That last part alone tells me I need to make a change.

I'm guessing I should increase it back to 2600... maybe even to 2650-2700.

Any thoughts?
  • heybales
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'd go right up to TDEE, decreased glucose in muscle is first response to diet, and with less of that and attached water, lower metabolism.

So you'll gain some fast water weight, shouldn't be much, and increased metabolism.

And energy in workouts should be better.

Now, you'll have to decide on focus - great workout improvements - or weight loss - hard to get both - unless you have all your other ducks in a row regarding nutrition, adequate sleep, pre-workout meal timing for you, ect.

But if weight loss, workouts will suffer, you'll go up in weight on bar as weight on body comes off generally.

Oh, in that spreadsheet, you don't count walking as half-time, it already uses good calorie burn estimate for correct time. I meant if using the rough 5 level TDEE charts that don't say what the workout is.

Only question is how hard do you swim - closer to running intensity, or walking intensity?
    That determines where that time goes.

Notice I did 3.5 x 60 min for the lifting.
    And 7 x 45 min for walking.
    Averages is just fine.
    60 min for swimming is what may move.
  • Valtishia
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I'd go right up to TDEE, decreased glucose in muscle is first response to diet, and with less of that and attached water, lower metabolism.

So you'll gain some fast water weight, shouldn't be much, and increased metabolism.

And energy in workouts should be better.

Now, you'll have to decide on focus - great workout improvements - or weight loss - hard to get both - unless you have all your other ducks in a row regarding nutrition, adequate sleep, pre-workout meal timing for you, ect.

But if weight loss, workouts will suffer, you'll go up in weight on bar as weight on body comes off generally.

Oh, in that spreadsheet, you don't count walking as half-time, it already uses good calorie burn estimate for correct time. I meant if using the rough 5 level TDEE charts that don't say what the workout is.

Only question is how hard do you swim - closer to running intensity, or walking intensity?
    That determines where that time goes.

Notice I did 3.5 x 60 min for the lifting.
    And 7 x 45 min for walking.
    Averages is just fine.
    60 min for swimming is what may move.

It is a pretty leisurely swim. I just changed the number to 300 minutes of walking/equally intense, rather than 370 like it would have been adding the swimming. Mostly because I lift every second day.... so leaving the lifting at 210 (3.5 hours), it would accomodate weeks where I am only lifting 3 times as oppose to 4 and vice versa. I just reread that and it hurt my head.. hope it makes sense.

I know workouts will suffer some with a cut... but I don't generally crave carbs on a cut. It is making me really irritable too.

I will go back up to TDEE and work it out from there.

Any other input would be welcomed :)
  • Valtishia
    Options
    Hmmm... so I looked back at my weight logs and found something interesting but really doesn't make sense.

In regards to the medication issues I mentioned... the first one I was on for about 2 weeks and gained 10lbs. I wish it was water weight... but it never left. One of the side effects it can have is to suppress the thyroid.

I then started the second medication. My weight stayed pretty stable for 6-7 weeks, staying in the same 2 lb range.

I then started lifting again once I was feeling better and the increases appear to start there. I had increases of 3 lbs, 2.2 lbs, 1.1 lbs, 2.2 lbs, (loss of 0.5), and 2.7 lbs on the weeks that followed.

I am well aware there is no way this is all muscle.... not even close. I am however super confused as to what is happening. I was eating 2600 on all but the last 2 weeks listed above. 2500 on the second last week and 2300 on the last week. 10.7 lbs.... I can live with some of it is muscle... some of it is water.... but my measurements say I have gained some fluff in the midsection. 1 inch in the waist and 2 inches in the hips since July 3, which was a couple weeks prior to starting lifting again, but I only measure once per month so it is all I have to go by.

I am going back to TDEE as originally decided in the above post... however any thoughts as to what is going on here? I have never really encountered this? It seems super excessive.
  • heybales
    Options
    With estimated TDEE around 2700, and eating levels lower to much lower during the past, and recent, times, I'd suggest stress is still present.

But meds do concern me.

Low thyroid issues usually cause you to be tired, less movement, they really don't slow the metabolism down that much, they effect the daily burn more if people aren't watchful and notice they aren't as active.
    So it could be that outside exercise where you mentally get yourself going, and kids where you do too - you could be less active than you know, perhaps.
    And therefore estimated TDEE is inflated above real TDEE.

Or your estimated TDEE is actually a bit higher if lifting for awhile, and not losing muscle during past diets. You could have more muscle mass than average for your stats, meaning your BMR and TDEE are higher. That would mean current and past eating level is really a bigger deficit than though, causing stress.

Or, actually less muscle mass than average because of past diets and not doing resistance training then. So BMR/TDEE is actually lower than expected. But I wouldn't expect by that much.

Or could be the meds and reason for them are stressing the body out, and stress causes water retention - upwards of 20 lbs from cortisol, usually carried around the stomach.
    That stress along with too much deficit still and life, could be too much.

The water weight from lifting again would be expected, for repair and more carbs stored. 1 lb weekly realistic for couple weeks.

So several potential reasons for fast water weight gain.
    Couple potential reasons for real fat gain.

Depends on which are more likely to be true - and that may indicate hold the course, lower cals because of inflated TDEE, or increase actually to remove stress from real higher TDEE.

Stream of thought above as they came to me. Probably left something out.
  • Valtishia
    Options
    cmtbqhnotuv9.jpg

The above is a pic from about 6 lbs ago.. so it should be accurate enough. I'm 222 as of today.... yep another 2 lbs this week lol. I am overweight but I do have a fair amount of muscle too, so the underestimated TDEE may be possible. It is not something I considered before.

I think meds are always a possibility too. I feel like they are foreign to the body and it reacts accordingly.

I am certain water is at least a portion of it, although no real idea of how much.

And stress is definitely a factor. Not only potentially for the reasons you mentioned.. but also unemployed at the moment which is making things really tough.

Thank you for the info. It gives me a few different things to consider for sure.

• Valtishia
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I ate closer to 2700 this week.. some days even 2800 and lost 1.8 lbs. I'll give it a few more weeks, but that may have been the problem.
  • heybales
    Options
    Yep, water retained from stress can be an incredible amount, even if no other reasons.