Anyone else struggle with pre-op weight loss?

Options
krissymae88
krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
I am about 4 months from the point of scheduling my surgery and I'm feeling a bit frustrated with how much trouble I am having with my pre-op weight loss. I have lost about 10 pounds these first two months. I know that 27 years of over eating habits can't be fixed in a matter of two months, but it makes me nervous that I won't ever be able to figure it out.
I am required to lose about 30 more pounds in order to qualify for my surgery. I've seen many of you share your awesome pre-op weight losses of 60 pounds and more! That is so great and I really admire how hard you must have worked!
I'm wondering if there's anyone here who struggled with their initial weight loss. How did you handle it before surgery and how has it been after surgery?

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It was tough, but for me what worked was logging everything, and being honest when doing it. I set myself down to 1600 cal limit, reduced the amount of grains I was eating daily. Alcohol became a weekend only treat, and gym time was every day after work. 5 days of cardio, 3 days of weights, weekends off. Lunches were usually deli meat, low fat cheese, and low fat triscuits. Breakfast was a protein shake, with a plain Greek yogurt and fresh berries for morning snack. Afternoon snack was almonds, maybe more deli meat. It was hard to get used to weighing portions of everything, and the constant logging, but after a month or so it becomes second nature.
    Best of luck, we are here cheering for you!
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi Krissy, Has your dr's office put you on a specific pre-op plan? If so, what are the challenges you are having in following it (not enough food, eating stuff off the plan, keeping track, etc)? Are you exercising the recommended amount? Is it a lack of information on what to do (per your statement that you won't be able to figure it out)?

10 lbs in 2 months is progress, so be proud of yourself for that!

I know you were looking to hear from people who have struggled with their preop weight loss, which I have not been but I think my success has been from sheer stubbornness. I went from overeating, fast food, sugar soda and deserts everyday cold turkey to low carb & 20+ minutes of exercise a day. I have 40+ years of bad eating habits to overcome. I think figuring out what your hold back is as to why you aren't able to lose right now will help you figure out how to change it.

Good job on the 10 lbs - keep on keeping on!
  • krissymae88
    Options
    Hi Krissy, Has your dr's office put you on a specific pre-op plan? If so, what are the challenges you are having in following it (not enough food, eating stuff off the plan, keeping track, etc)? Are you exercising the recommended amount? Is it a lack of information on what to do (per your statement that you won't be able to figure it out)?

quote]

No, I don't have a specific diet plan yet. I have my first meeting with the nutritionist on Tuesday and hopefully they will help me get more of a plan going. I'm doing OK with exercise and I work toward getting at least 30 minutes a day. I know I need to start weighing and logging everything religiously. So much easier said than done for me, I guess. Haha.

Thanks for the support everyone. I think I just need to hear that this is a roadblock that can be overcome.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Even on a very restrictive diet, I lost only 20lbs in 7 months. I concentrated on learning... how to eat, how to log, how to cook, what food worked best, what foods weren't acceptable, how to get past temptation. The weight loss during those months was a bonus. My goal was the education.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Everyone at the clinic I use was put on a strict diet from the first class. No sugar or alcohol. Eliminate caffeine. Limited starchy vegetables, only specific proteins. Whole foods. 1200 calories/day. Ten thousand steps a day expected on top of exercise. Three meals, 1 snack. No grazing. With those guidelines, I can't imagine anyone not losing weight! -- You need to get a diet plan from your dietician. You need to make weighing, logging, label reading and food prep your new hobby. Unless you do that, you will feel frustrated. When people find out about my plan they say OMG! I couldn't do that! I always respond, "I am highly motivated to do it." (I lost 20 pounds in 2 months pre-op.)
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Everyone at the clinic I use was put on a strict diet from the first class. No sugar or alcohol. Eliminate caffeine. Limited starchy vegetables, only specific proteins. Whole foods. 1200 calories/day. Ten thousand steps a day expected on top of exercise. Three meals, 1 snack. No grazing. With those guidelines, I can't imagine anyone not losing weight! -- You need to get a diet plan from your dietician. You need to make weighing, logging, label reading and food prep your new hobby. Unless you do that, you will feel frustrated. When people find out about my plan they say OMG! I couldn't do that! I always respond, "I am highly motivated to do it." (I lost 20 pounds in 2 months pre-op.)

• ThinGwen
    Options
    My struggles were (a) getting through sugar withdrawal and (b) psychological. On the psychological side, I found this book really helped; http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0848732758/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1440810302&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Think+like+a+thin+person&dpPl=1&dpID=51R7BeY7AOL&ref=plSrch.
  • ThinGwen
    Options
    Two key things I did were (a) focus on the end result - I wanted to lose weight because it would help with the surgery, and a successful result was more important then any treat and (b) redefine myself. I'm no longer someone who eats sweets or other high simple carb foods. Period. It's as much a part of my identity as anything else. When my kids have ice cream, pasta, etc., I don't want it because that is not something that I eat.
  • krissymae88
    Options
    ThinGwen, thanks for the book recommendation. I'll look into that one. And I think my challenge is the same as yours...sugar (I have yet to be able to cut it out completely) and psychological.

And wow, martabeerich that's quite a plan! Your clinic sounds really strict and I can see how it would get results!
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did dr hymans ten day detox to start. It was wild. Dealt with a lot of the psych issues too. I told myself I could do anything for 10 days. I lost 16 lbs! Then I transitioned into low carb/whole food and did well.
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to lose the weight? Just tracking calories isn't always enough, especially if you are struggling with hunger. Protein shakes, walking tons, and cutting back on sweets are going to help you prepare and will have a positive impact on your success afterwards. I also recommend doing some strength training starting now. I didn't before my surgery and the weakness was frustrating. Bonus is that muscle will burn more calories than fat, and that can be like a cheat code for success!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is:
    Do not eat back the calories you "earn" through exercise!
    Other than that, I did a juice diet for a week when I found myself in a rut. I usually lost 5lbs in that week and then found it easier to stick to 1200 calories after that.