Just a coincidence?

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    A diet that does not move the scales cut cuts inches of fat still amazes me. I just keep eating LCHF and let my body manage my weight/size and not worry about how it all works.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Exercise progress is very slow compared to weight loss progress, but worth it IMO.

I've taken a week off from exercise and dumped a ton of water. Well, not a ton, but about 10lbs. I'm now at my lowest weight in 30 years, but more importantly, I'm at the lowest BF% I can remember.

So, being an exercise newby, is it a good idea to take time off for maybe a week each month or something? Would there be any benefit to taking breaks like that?

If the scale is your main metric, then a break will probably help. If fitness is your goal, then I'd try to keep a steady course.

For me, the hardest part was getting to the point where exercise was a consistent habit rather than a sporadic effort, so I think maintaining momentum is important.

Losing fat and fitness is definitely the goal, and I struggle with making exercise a habit, so I better not schedule any breaks.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Exercise progress is very slow compared to weight loss progress, but worth it IMO.

I've taken a week off from exercise and dumped a ton of water. Well, not a ton, but about 10lbs. I'm now at my lowest weight in 30 years, but more importantly, I'm at the lowest BF% I can remember.

Congrats on the 30-year low @wabmester! That's quite a milestone. Were you already at maintenance, or was this something you set out to achieve?

Foamroller wrote: »
    My point was that scale weight is a very bad metric for tracking miniscule changes. Because it can be any other very plausible explanations than a plateau. Really, don't worry over minor changes :) Peace of mind is better!

Scale weight fluctuations are also a VERY imprecise metric for fat loss, which is what we really want. I maintained scale weight since the winter, but I LOST 2 SIZES ;) Going from size L to size S.

That's amazing--L to S--it's more than two numeric sizes down. I find it hard to fathom that I could go from XL when I started to M at some point in the future, but you give me hope that it is possible. (I'm M for tops, L for bottoms, which is the smallest I've ever been as an adult.)

@Sunny_Bunny_ , I'm experiencing a similar stall, I think. Not a stall from day to day, but over the course of the past few weeks the fluctuations have become less and less dramatic. I'm wondering if I'm starting to bottom out for the current way I'm eating and exercising, what changes would be required to lose more weight... And whether I'm willing to go that extra mile just yet. Keep us posted on your progress, please.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    My point was that scale weight is a very bad metric for tracking miniscule changes. Because it can be any other very plausible explanations than a plateau. Really, don't worry over minor changes :) Peace of mind is better!

Scale weight fluctuations are also a VERY imprecise metric for fat loss, which is what we really want. I maintained scale weight since the winter, but I LOST 2 SIZES ;) Going from size L to size S.

Skinny jeans never lie.

The scale isn't the main thing for me either. But there has been no further change in measurements during the same time. So far for me, the scale and tape measure were pretty in sync. Well, they still are actually. They both stopped moving.
    I'm going to keep things the same for a bit longer and see what plays out.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    A diet that does not move the scales cut cuts inches of fat still amazes me. I just keep eating LCHF and let my body manage my weight/size and not worry about how it all works.

I had not lost from the scale or measurements for just over the 3 weeks, until yesterday showing the first loss since 8/1. Getting kinda tired of it at this point. I hope I've broken the stall.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Congrats on the 30-year low @wabmester! That's quite a milestone. Were you already at maintenance, or was this something you set out to achieve?

Thanks! I've been on maintenance for a couple months, but I'm still lowish-carb, so I just follow my hunger. No calorie/carb counting, no specific goals, just the magic of lowish-carb and exercise. No idea when the fat will stop melting, but I suspect I'm getting close due to the slowing loss rate.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

That's amazing--L to S--it's more than two numeric sizes down. I find it hard to fathom that I could go from XL when I started to M at some point in the future, but you give me hope that it is possible. (I'm M for tops, L for bottoms, which is the smallest I've ever been as an adult.)

@Sunny_Bunny_ , I'm experiencing a similar stall, I think. Not a stall from day to day, but over the course of the past few weeks the fluctuations have become less and less dramatic. I'm wondering if I'm starting to bottom out for the current way I'm eating and exercising, what changes would be required to lose more weight... And whether I'm willing to go that extra mile just yet. Keep us posted on your progress, please.

I hope I unlock the secret to making decent progress again. I don't care if it's scale or tape. I just want something to happen.
    Believe me, everyone will know when I am back on track! ;)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options

Skinny jeans never lie.

The scale isn't the main thing for me either. But there has been no further change in measurements during the same time. So far for me, the scale and tape measure were pretty in sync. Well, they still are actually. They both stopped moving.
    I'm going to keep things the same for a bit longer and see what plays out.

I forgot to mention that my measurements haven't changed so much compared to the weight loss phase either. Just a few cm in over 6 months. The hip bones are the width they are, can't change that. But the bum is more muscular. Because of this I can now use size XS (size 0 in usa?) in undies, a size I previously haven't used.

So my advice is to use all available metrics to detect change: take pics each week or fortnight, try on goal clothes. Look in mirror in unflattering lights. The body also sheds from different areas. Maybe you lost from the back?

How far from GW are you? If within 10 lbs, you really can't expect the scale weight losses as before. If you are having big losses when already quite lean, then the risk of losing precious muscle with it increases. Balance and patience :)

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I'm 14 lbs from the goal I set but I. May adjust it down a couple more pounds.
    I take measurements in about a dozen different places. I definitely have not just overlooked any loss. I guess the changes I had made just kind of put the breaks on. I hope the .4 lb loss that finally showed up this week is a sign. That things will continue again. Slow loss doesn't bother me. No loss for almost a month is a bummer.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Galehawkins--I just keep eating LCHF and let my body manage my weight/size and not worry about how it all works.

But Gale..what would people waste spend precious time on if not worry over water ups and downs daily?
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    0,4 lbs drop in scale weight could be anything. Including just a bit more dehydrated, TOM bloat on decline or any other detail. It's very often that people "stall" when they start exercising, even if it's not very intense, because the body is not used to that exercise. As soon as the body adapts to said protocol, it suddenly starts to feel easier and less water retention for repairs, because you're no longer challenging the body. Then the cycle starts again, up the ante on exercise, more waters etc, etc.

I can fluctuate up to 7-8 lbs if the variables are maxed out: carbs, exercise, TOM, BM, fluids. For example step on scale it shows let's say 122 lbs. Drink a big glass of water and having dinner and it's +2 lbs...

If you're able to recreate what you think is a pattern multiple times, then it might be a pattern for your body. I'm not dismissing it could be, but since you started exercising, I'd guess it's related to that and not a very minor increase in carbs. Unless you're extremely carb sensitive ofc. I could be wrong :)

Interesting that exercise can cause fluid retention. May I ask, what is TOM?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

So, being an exercise newby, is it a good idea to take time off for maybe a week each month or something? Would there be any benefit to taking breaks like that?

If the scale is your main metric, then a break will probably help. If fitness is your goal, then I'd try to keep a steady course.

For me, the hardest part was getting to the point where exercise was a consistent habit rather than a sporadic effort, so I think maintaining momentum is important.

Losing fat and fitness is definitely the goal, and I struggle with making exercise a habit, so I better not schedule any breaks.

If anything I'd take a break from the scale. I'm in a similar spot, new to exercise and close to goal. I'm learning to not put too much into what the scale says since daily it can be frustrating.

Could be coincidence, could be the lowering of carbs dropped extra water at that time. We'll never know. The day after I drink too much alcohol I'm usually at a new low even when going way over on carbs and cals, because I'm so dehydrated. That's not the way I want to see results so I look at other measures now, the scale is just too keep me in check.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @penell12 Tom stands for time of month
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options

Skinny jeans never lie.

Jeans never lie!

Ha

How true

But they may not tell if you had to lay down to button them :)

The fickle scale story

Yesterday morning I weighed as usual.

I got back from 40 mile ride, weighted 7.3 pounds less

Weighed this morning and weighed 8.6 pounds more than yesterday morning but I'm sore all over since I lifted Thursday and Friday for all of upper body. I know I'm holding a solid 10 pounds of water.

Wednesday it will flush out.

Then I will eat maintainence calories for a few days to let mucscles repair and grow.

Maybe gain 1/4 pound of lean body mass?

I burnt 1/2 pound of fat.

I wonder what the scale will say

Hmmmmm

As long as the 33 waist jeans look good, who cares, right!