September Goals

Options
HatherM
HatherM Posts: 404 Member
Every month I like to set myself goals; sometimes I meet them all, sometimes I partially meet them & sometimes I don't get past week one!

August goals have gone pretty well, not 100% met, but I'm human and life sometimes gets in my way, but I've not done too bad, so I want to keep momentum.

Basically I'm looking for ideas / inspiration for something new to challenge myself with in addition to my goals. I'm also interested what others set themselves as goals, do you challenge yourself enough or too much?

So far I have got:
Walk 10k steps a day (minimum)
140 miles in September
Do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (workout 1 & 2) a week
Do yoga once a week
Get 95g protein a day
Drink 4 litres of water a day

Replies

• Mnaminal
    Mnaminal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like setting goals, especially when I'm having a hard time staying motivated. Last winter I just got into a really awful funk and the only way I got past it was to set a few goals and commit to one week. Then a second. Then it got easier. Now you've got me thinking I should set some new goals for fall.

As far as other goal ideas... how about learning to prepare new healthy food? Adding variety to your diet can be really helpful avoiding burnout (or just getting bored). Something like 2 new recipes this month? Or maybe more if you're into cooking...I average 1 a week, but I'm obsessed with cooking and grocery shopping.

When I was seeing a nutritionist regularly a few years ago, she said 80% is usually good enough to keep losing weight, so I always fall back on that when I have life events that interfere with my plan.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I tend to give myself an event to train for as an end goal versus shorter term ones. I really like to do the mud run obstacle runs so I usually plan one or two a year to keep myself going and to have something that lets me know all the training and healthy eating is paying off. I also try to get as many friends as possible to commit to the runs with me because we all know misery loves company and it helps us keep each other in check. Next year will be my big push with a good friend of mine as we try to get a trifecta in the Spartan races.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree that settkng goals and 'reporting' on them helps me staying on track. I am starting to lose focus because i am close to my goal. Its partially because these last few take the longest, partially because people are already starting to notice and partiallybecause i am sort of scared (what if i reached it, am i able to keep my weight there and am i going to be happy then).
    So i need to set my goals and write them out....

For me it helps to set light exercising goals, because i dont like to exercise.
    I never set too much goals because if i dont succeed i can get really down and that sets of a spiral bad behaviour. Staying real helps me the most.
    I am not a creative type when it comes to goals.

Okay im setting these goals for september:
    [*] doing short yoga set once a week
    [*] doing short cardio set 3 times a week
    [*] walking 10.000 steps 4 of the 7 days
    [*] 2 new healthy recipes
    [*] 1 kilo loss

• mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    I tend to give myself an event to train for as an end goal versus shorter term ones. I really like to do the mud run obstacle runs so I usually plan one or two a year to keep myself going and to have something that lets me know all the training and healthy eating is paying off. I also try to get as many friends as possible to commit to the runs with me because we all know misery loves company and it helps us keep each other in check. Next year will be my big push with a good friend of mine as we try to get a trifecta in the Spartan races.

I am going for my Trifecta next year as well! I did the "Boston" sprint over the weekend and had a blast.
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    I love setting goals, it definitely helps me stay on track. For September my goals are:

- minimum 70K steps per 7 days (average 10K steps/day) as per fit bit
    - minimum 10 miles running per week
    - Strength work out 3 times a week
    - 1 new recipe per week (5 total)

• fletchsc
    fletchsc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My September goals are
    -4 spin classes a week
    -2 circuit/weights classes a week
    -Lose 10lbs and or a pants size
    -Try to incorporate more veggies beyond just a green smoothie a day
    -Keep going with cutting out alcohol - has made a huge difference in August, going to have to have a labor day exception though =)
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    my goals are to continue the diet/cardio/lifting thing I'm doing now without getting injured, hopefully I'll lose at least another 5 to 8 lbs by the end of the month and an inch or 2 off my waist :-)
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Okay got to report back now the first week has past. I must admit total failure. Had a tough workweek and slept really bad, so yesterday i was weak and gave in to all my cravings and hardly moved.
    So today i am going to start again in the hope the rest of september will go better.
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    ravenzwart wrote: »
    Okay got to report back now the first week has past. I must admit total failure. Had a tough workweek and slept really bad, so yesterday i was weak and gave in to all my cravings and hardly moved.
    So today i am going to start again in the hope the rest of september will go better.

So far my month is up and down and it's only day 7!!!
    Been suffering with a sore throat and lack of energy, so I've been and got some echinacea to dose myself up, hopefully this will help
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    Week 1 was 50:50. I hit my steps and tried a new recipe but only ran 2.8 miles and did 0 strength workouts. I want to work out more, I enjoy working out, but trying to fit it into my daily routine is just not happening now. Between work, soccer for my older son, swim for both kids, races, birthdays, BBQ's, and chores I need another 20 hours in the week to do what I WANT to do. I will get there but right now I am just going to take what I can get.
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    mamarundrc wrote: »
    I love setting goals, it definitely helps me stay on track. For September my goals are:

- minimum 70K steps per 7 days (average 10K steps/day) as per fit bit
    - minimum 10 miles running per week
    - Strength work out 3 times a week
    - 1 new recipe per week (5 total)
    Week 2:
    -Managed to hit my 70K steps for the week per fit bit
    -Running 10 miles (nope) 2.75/10. I was going to get another run in yesterday but had sore knees and decided for a weighted vest walk on the treadmill instead.
    -Strength work outs: 1.5/3. I had 1 solid strength workout and one half-assed session of some pushups and squats before my kids came home and I lost motivation
    - Tried a jalapeno chicken chili recipe from skinnytaste. Delicious!