Not able to eat as much before!

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
Before LCHF I would eat volumes of carbs and never feel full.

It was never that way on LCHF because I could eat and actually become aware I was getting full unlike when living on carbs.

A year later I can not eat the same volume of the same food that I ate six months ago on LCHF.

Some claim the stomach does not shrink.

Has any others had to push back the food volume (same type food) that you could eat a few months ago on LCHF? I understand this translate into a calorie reduction without trying.

Replies

• amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a whole western omelette, potatoes and toast with jelly. These days I can eat about 3/4 of the omelette only. I love it!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @amb312 thanks for posting your experience. I will see what Google can find on the subject.
  • amb312
    Options
    Sorry, I guess that wasn't very helpful lol. I used to eat all of that because it was in front of me. Now I just eat the omelette (sometimes a sausage link or two) and I don't need the rest. I slowed down my eating and am enjoying the food I eat. I don't need the starch and carbs, they just make me feel like poo anyway.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I lowered my carbs maybe 6 years ago and I definitely have days of little hunger, and other days where I can eat a lot. Generally I feel full easily and match my husband (who I swear hardly eats).
  • GaleHawkins
    edited September 2015
    Options
    amb312 I see your humor. :) Actually Goggle just talked about we must have some kind of major health problem.

As I think about it as the days are getting short I am not out on the tractor as much. I had a parking lot project that had to be ready for an event 8 August. We made the deadline and I guess I took a three week break and need less food. :)

Just saw something about higher ketosis levels can lower hunger. I have no real understanding about that but my acetone breath meter has been reading higher. I have replaced a lot of half and half creamer with HWC with is 36% butter fat. The sugar in the half and half was denting my ketosis level in the past. Not sure that is a factor in getting full but I will monitor.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Just today I was thinking about how cranky people get without food every 4 hours…and the positive stress on most commercial diets that you eat "every 4 hours"..because they know your carb burner is out of fuel…(and the tricky 2 week sales pitch that ensure weight loss first 14..so you become convinced of their method..and tolerate hunger pangs or discomfort later.

I was pondering that in any situation that required me to maintain my temper, sharpness, ability to cognate that I am ahead of the game if I am in a roomful of carb browsers…all demanding lunch or dinner on time.

Watched the movie "12 angry men" again, and in several scenes they are ticked off no one has delivered sandwiches or a meal yet…all of the is plays into their ability to get to consensus….

I was even fantacising how unfair it is for me..satiated on HWC and butter to think circles around people with growling stomachs, incipient headaches, and a need for a sugar or tobacco fix…. <evil laff>
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Same here, Gale. I used to do a lot of my overeating at restaurants. I just got back from our usual Thai place, and I simply couldn't eat as much as I used to.

Part of it is hormonal. There are studies that suggest that some of our hunger hormones are suppressed while there are ketones in the blood.

But the hormones are just markers. Nobody really understands why the body does this. One theory is that most of the carb-laden crap we ate was low in nutrients, so our bodies told us to eat greater quantities in order to extract enough nutrients. Now that the body is happy to have found high-nutrient foods, it tells us we're getting enough.

People say "listen to your body," but these bodies haven't been calibrated for modern manufactured foods, most of which are carb-heavy.
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    I have found I do not eat nearly as much as I used to before going LCHF. Some times I have to kind of force myself because I know only two chicken legs in a day, one for lunch one for dinner coffee with cream for breakfast, is not really enough. I only mentally track carbs and not all my foods.Even so I know my calorie amount for many days is very low and I am feeling satisfied. And then once in awhile I feel really hungry and I do not restrict foods as long as they are VLC.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    As a binge eater, keto has not changed my ability to stuff myself. Overall I'm less hungey, yes. But the act of overeating is an emotional thing, I think.

I notice this pattern: If I overeat several days in a row having 2000-2500 net kcal, I increase stomach capacity facilitating even more eating. Feeling «hungrier». But if I break the chain by doing a semifast, I'm very satisfied with 1200-1500 net kcal again.

When eating carbs it's easier to get that stuffed feeling. So I think that carbs promotes overeating more than fat/proteins. Plus I get «hungry» again 1-2 hour later and can eat even more, although it felt like stomach was about to burst a short while ago.

I had almost 4000 net kcal during a party on Sunday (with desserts too) and I wasn't even trying hard. Could easily have had some extra thousands of calories :(

I have not tried to eat all I want on keto macros only and see limit. There have been days of 3000 kcal, though. I'll experiment to see some time in future.

My body is very greedy!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I may be the weirdo here....

But I have pretty much emotionally detached from food.

I see a big plate of food S a couple hours of work to burn off

It is much easier to just eat less. I like exercise and all that, but not that much

That second burrito is gonna go to my gut. I just did 300 crunches the day before. Now do I really want that burrito?

The insanity of food seems to be mostly passed.

And I was full on the first plate of the buffet back in the fat old days. I just wanted more. I paid full price right?

Yeah.... The insanity was deep.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I may be the weirdo here....

But I have pretty much emotionally detached from food.

I see a big plate of food S a couple hours of work to burn off

It is much easier to just eat less. I like exercise and all that, but not that much
    <snip>

This is exactly it for me. KM and I are apparently sibling weirdos.

Someone asked me recently, "Has your relationship with food changed, since you started losing weight?" My response was, "Yes, because I realized I didn't need a relationship with food. It's a fuel source... yummy fuel source, but fuel and nothing more."
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    As a binge eater, keto has not changed my ability to stuff myself. Overall I'm less hungey, yes. But the act of overeating is an emotional thing, I think.

I notice this pattern: If I overeat several days in a row having 2000-2500 net kcal, I increase stomach capacity facilitating even more eating. Feeling «hungrier». But if I break the chain by doing a semifast, I'm very satisfied with 1200-1500 net kcal again.

When eating carbs it's easier to get that stuffed feeling. So I think that carbs promotes overeating more than fat/proteins. Plus I get «hungry» again 1-2 hour later and can eat even more, although it felt like stomach was about to burst a short while ago.

I had almost 4000 net kcal during a party on Sunday (with desserts too) and I wasn't even trying hard. Could easily have had some extra thousands of calories :(

I have not tried to eat all I want on keto macros only and see limit. There have been days of 3000 kcal, though. I'll experiment to see some time in future.

My body is very greedy!

Yes - keto hasn't stopped my propensity to eat too much, especially when tired. Just want to keep eating despite not being hungry.

• inspirationstation
    Options
    I am an emotional eater, so I still struggle with stress eating. I am one of the rare few that can actually binge on LC foods. :wink: Still, it is much better than it used to be. Mainly, LC has significantly reduced my cravings and I don't think about food as much.
  • amb312
    Options
    I don't really care for the saying "Eat to live, not live to eat" but it's true. I am slowly coming around to the thinking that food is fuel, not enjoyment. I do enjoy food, don't get me wrong, but I don't need to eat it all anymore to feel happy.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to the vlc woe. What I am finding is that I don't crave as much, I get full much quicker and I cannot eat as much as I did before. All this over the last 2 weeks (very new). I definitely am starting to have a new relationship with food. It fuels my body, it does not soothe my soul.
  • jillmcafee
    jillmcafee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OP - I have been reducing carbs for only a couple of weeks, but I am already noticing that I just can't eat as much. I am not sure if this is because I can't or don't want to. Example - we had something for dinner over the weekend that was a standard pre-diet, low-carb item, and I couldn't finish the previously "normal for me" portion. Before I would eat it anyway, even if I was full, but this time I actually thought "Ugh, I can't eat anymore of this".
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I first got into keto I ate a *kitten* ton. I think that's because I was on a low calorie diet so my body was playing catch up. As for right now, I am really not sure how many calories I eat but it's probably around 2000. I'd say I eat a pretty standard amount, not any more or less than before dieting. Still losing weight, so whatever! It is a lot easier to tell when I am full and stop eating though.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I have been eating <50 grams of carbs almost without fail for 11 months but in my case it has only be the last month I have been "stuffing" myself when eating the very same kind/volume of LCHF food and drink say six months ago. Perhaps as our bodies heal on this Way Of Eating even our sense of fullness starts working better. :)

Serious when living on carbs I had a sense of fullness perhaps but not to the point where I had to stop eating and push the food back and say NO MORE like I do now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If they tell you that you can stretch out the stomach from repeatedly overeating, why does it not make sense to be able to shrink the stomach - or at least get it to feel full with less fuel in the tank??
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Well, leptin & orexin are in part responsible for feeling satiated, right? So as our hormones get regulated it makes sense to have a "new normal".