Chat & Accountability Aug 30-Sep 5

Options
carolssalva
carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
HaPpY SuNdAy All!!
This week will be another blur of work and kids & extra stuff but I'm setting a goal of 2 strength training workouts + 2 sprint sessions.
In last week's thread DebSue asked for our attainable September goals.
Get back into a fitness routine is mine. Just something I can manage consistently.
How about you?

Have a great week!

Replies

• Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Folks! Hope all is well with all of you. Went up to Savannah for Breakfast at Whole Foods with Dan this morning. Got back took a nap and now its raining. Didn't get anything done so will go lift in the garage in a while. Needed the rest I suspect. I did manage to get another peppermint essential oil as I was nearly out. Love it in my first cup o coffee in the morning. On my last Shot pout workout Thursday I did manage to get it past the 25 foot mark, so gettin some progress. September Goal is 30' shot put throw in competition on the 16th. Not sure if that will win anything but will be a very good throw for me.

Carol - Jam on lass, get those strength workouts in. I wouldn't worry too much about METCONS but you are trackin on a good trail. I'm gonna keep up with my morning 150. It's paying off and I should thank you since it was the July challenge that got me started on it.

Heron - Hope Rosie is doing better. and Yep keep moving 25 is a good number.

Amy - From the last thread - /the way I handle my arthritis limitations is this, first I ask if I can modify this if yes do the mod. If no the next question is; is the mentally benefit worth the pain of doin it right?
    At my age and with my history I don't need to impress anybody including me. (and especially me) If anybody asks me I just tell them I've done that one 15 or 20 K times in my life time really don't need any more and by the way what's your Murph time? Mine was around 2 hrs How did you do? Oh yeah and I did mine a week after tough mudder Chicago... By then most crossfitters are silently hoping they can survive the next 30 years or so so they can have this conversation again with the nexst generation.

Speakin fo Tough Mudder Got my shoes for Vegas yesterday at the PX Mizouno's on clearance for $14. Woo Hoot Who's in?

ih3v55nat5vi.jpg
  • carolssalva
    Options
    John- I should know the answer to this but I don't. What are metcons?
  • carolssalva
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know I've already told you but it bears saying again… That shoes are sweet!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Carol METabolic CONditioning Drill, The supposed 'Heart' of Cross Fit. There is a lot of debate about the necessity of any of them, due to higher risk of injury for recreational athletes. I could go on and on but the short version is, once you have passed the age of resiliency (generally 35) the risks increases exponentially even for trained individuals, while the benefit is at best static, and may even decline. Makes the risk assessment pretty simple, if it involves repeatedly moving heavy things fast in a wide plane of rotation - Don't. There are many safer ways to get the results most folks want using body weight.
  • carolssalva
    Options
    Thanks John! This makes me sick feel so much better about the way I modified my workout. I love the cross training gym that I visit sometimes. But I'm all about modifying things so that they're reasonable for me.
    This post makes me feel a lot better!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Monday Folks. Push the limits but keep it safe. Have a great day.
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! Managed a run this morning, so off to a good start.

Carol, It is great to hear you found a cross training gym you are comfortable in. As John mentions, I have a concern for some of the moves with my body. I have to modify. I am drawn to the idea of CrossFit because of the team spirit, the fact that you do varied moves, and you start where "you" start. In theory it works for me, but after having tried a few different CF gyms the atmosphere's and owners vary tremendously. I know that is a given, but I was rather shocked. I see myself driven to do more than I should and getting injured. Plus there are a bunch of moves I will never be able to do. The idea is you excel at others, but I see it bothering me. I plan on trying a cross training gym that focuses on not getting injured. I visited and loved the people there.

Leads me to I believe it is Amy's post. Forgive me If I got that wrong. I say you try those activities you question and be careful. You could be surprised at what you are able to do or fall in love doing. Case in point...training for my first OCR got me running on trails. Never would I have imagined being able to run at all, but somehow getting on trails opened up a new world for me. Forever grateful:) I started because I couldn't do half of the obstacles and figured I better get faster. That led to me climbing around on monkey bars and trying rope climbing. Don't get me wrong, I am slow and have little skill, plus try to be careful because of my dislocating joints, but it is an absolute joy trying!!!
  • leopardprintaholic
    Options
    Hi All! I love hearing about everyone's attainable goals for September :) I've modified the FUN in one of my goals: with every 1-1.5 hr treadmill workout in September (6 days a week), I'll be working my way through the alphabet jaunting to a different musician/singer/group representing each letter! Tomorrow is 'A' ... So many artists to choose from B) I'll keep Y'all posted! Xoxo ~DebSue
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Folks,

Good to see ya here Kris, hope you had a happy run.

DebSue - Jammin' is a good thing when U B JAMMIN!
  • dad22seas
    dad22seas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

My September goals are to:
    1.) Stick to the fitness plan my buddy Steve at Onward Fitness worked up for me
    2.) Consistently track food in MFP
    3.) Get back to tracking steps with the FitBit
    4.) Check into the message boards here at least once a week for ideas and support.

Off to a good start so far. Good luck to everyone else on their goals.
  • leopardprintaholic
    Options
    AWESOME, Dad22!
    Okay, I know we offer unconditional love & support here, so please don't judge my taste in music. Lol! ;) Today is Sept 1 & my workout music today will begin with "A". Couldn't decide, so will go 2 miles to AC/DC & 2 to Aerosmith <3 Cheers & hugs to you all!!
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi all busy weekend so I was not on here much. Doing great and continuing to ride. I logged 273 miles for August my goal was 240 so that was good.

I few things from last week.

Deb Sue - What's everyone's attainable goals for September?
    1. Eat Healthy
    2. To ride another 240
    3. Drop another 10 lbs.

ActiveAmyLynn - How do you guys and girls with arthritis or injuries manage that disappointment when you want to do new types of exercise but can't?

I don't really care about not being able to do a new type of exercise I just try to do what I can. I have rods in my back and bad knees. I was riding my bike but my leg being numb did not make it as enjoyable as it was. Then I started walking but my knees gave out. So now I'm back to riding the bike. The numb leg is tolerable where the knees are not. If the bike goes I may have to join the Y and start swimming again. Whatever it is I can do I try to do it for an hour a day. I know if I sit still I will lose ability to do anything.

heronh- "twice a month is expensive! At the rate you are going maybe you should just buy in bulk."

Yes that would be my next choice maybe, however I now have 200 miles on the new ones and they seem to be holding. The old ones went for 127 before they blew so I am getting more confident that these tires will hold. As for the pain, they make these wonderful shorts with built in pads the shape of a seat and with no seams where it would rub on man or woman. Those help tremendously! I wear lose shorts over them because I am not going to wear spandex in public. lol As far as your butt hurting you do get somewhat used to that and there are a lot of seat choices you can try out. I go with the larger beach cruiser type seats and they give lots of support.
  • carolssalva
    Options
    DebSue - I wanted you to choose ABBA!
    I love how I can hear your workouts. ❤️

I agree with John – it's so wonderful to see you here Kris. I can relate to your level of trail running. I kind of hate running, but if you put me in the middle of the woods everything so beautiful, it just doesn't seem like that monotonous jog you would do by a road.
    Many of you don't know this, but Kris and I know each other from many moons ago on sparkpeople. I think our common interest with OCR. I also have very little skill but love trying!

Howie – way to blow out your goal!!
  • leopardprintaholic
    Options
    My little "Dancing Queen" Soul-Sister Carol: I put in an additional 2 miles tonight to ABBA (just for you)!!! Lol. <3 As always Guys, I'm more than thrilled to hear your suggestions & requests. :)
  • kris3b
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!

A big thanks John and Carol! It is nice to be back, getting all kinds of inspiration from everyone on the board. Carol, you say, "I also have very little skill..." Ummm, I beg to differ. I have seen you on that rope and getting over that killer wall. I am not worthy...I am not worthy...

DebSue, I normally workout in silence, but because of your posts and my restless brain, I have been listening to some music while working out. Since we have established that this is a judgement free zone, I will share some of the artists or songs I have listened to over the last two days. Mind you, I normally only listen to one style of music in a session, but I have been mixing stuff up. See, I am working on expanding my horizons. Some of them for cardio and some for stretching and ST:

-Country *kitten* by Big K.R.I.T. w/ Ludacris & Bun B (hands down my favorite song to warm up a run with)
    -Ramones
    -Rob Zombie
    -Roberta Flack "I heard he sang a good song, I heard he had a style...." Ahhhhh
    -Johnny Mathis
    -Billy Currington
    -Bluegrass Mixes

LOL at the ABBA! The BF was singing some lines the other night, but I think he was joshing. Funny coming from a guy who somehow knows all the lines from Manilow and Neil Diamond. Says it is because he took his mom to some concerts. Sure, sure he did :wink: I adore that!!!

• Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Folks. Some great Mix lists (say that three times fast)

Deb Sue - on you M day you need some Marley in there. Do I really need to give you the title? :)

WTG Folks keep up the good work!
  • leopardprintaholic
    Options
    Oh how I LOVE the comradery of this group! The BEST <3 Well today I moved my "groove thang" to 'B': Blondie ... with some Barenaked Ladies thrown in for good measure B) xoxo ~DebSue
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi all love reading the updates! last week and this week have been off for me. I am still doing the squats though. My back is getting better as well. Debsue I watched Aerosmith performed and they are awesome! Diet has been the same, I'm planning on taking some progress pictures end of next week.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Thursday Folks, not much new. Just rollin along prepping for Shot Put Competition on the 16th.

Deb Sue how bout Ella Fitzgerald on your E or F day or Both. I would recommend "It don't mean a Thing"

Good To hear from ya Heron, Keep on keeping on.
  • kris3b
    Options
    No workout last night. This morning I started a personal development course and if feels good:)

In full agreement DebSue!

Heron, Sorry to hear about the back, but glad you are feeling better. I saw Aerosmith in my youth and they were awesome!

Loving the shot putting John! I have never known anyone who has done that. Cool. Ella is incredible and on that note I will end with my favorite of hers. Reminds me of mom and I think if we started each day listening to it, it could set the stage for a fabulous day :smiley:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fo6VVt7XvAI