Head Games

Options
nikoba
nikoba Posts: 291 Member
I know this topic of hitting a wall was recently brought up by another member, so I can only assume even more have hit this point as well. I'm self sabotaging and I hate it! I got my head on straight and got serious about getting healthy and eating low carb at the end of April (4/27 to be exact)...I was doing super awesome at first, I'm down approximately 30ish pounds (I haven't weighed myself in over a week)...but for about a month, I've become lax and allowed myself to put stuff in my body I shouldn't have. This past week I've been dog sitting for a friend and of course their house is loaded with stuff...I downed a bag of doritos in 2 days! Then went and had crackers last night (crunchy/crispy is my weakness)

I want to break this trend and get back to where I was when I first started and being diligent about recording and following a healthy way of eating. I know first hand how slippery of a slope this can be and I want to stop this now before it snowballs. Anyone else had a trend of mishaps and suggestions for how you got things back under control? I still have about another 30+lbs I'd like to lose to get to my realistic goal...and I'd like to keep low carb as a way of eating for life. I just wish my head and stomach would get on board with me.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Listen to the podcasts at www.ketoevangelist.com
    I think what he says makes us take an honest look at ourselves and then kick our own behinds back into shape by not allowing any excuses.
    It sounds like you took a good honest look already, but listen to them and see if they help you dig deeper to find a new solid commitment.
  • InADarkRoom
    InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Some straight talking from someone on here did it for me. I was constantly making excuses and stuck in a rut of feeling sorry for myself (not suggesting you're doing the same btw!) And she said what I needed to hear in no uncertain terms.

Sounds like you're already on your way to the right mindset. Wish I could be of more help but you know where I am if you need to rant. Hugs!
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    I know this topic of hitting a wall was recently brought up by another member, so I can only assume even more have hit this point as well. I'm self sabotaging and I hate it! I got my head on straight and got serious about getting healthy and eating low carb at the end of April (4/27 to be exact)...I was doing super awesome at first, I'm down approximately 30ish pounds (I haven't weighed myself in over a week)...but for about a month, I've become lax and allowed myself to put stuff in my body I shouldn't have.

Your story is almost the exact mirror of mine. I started April 21st and have lost around 12kg. The last month has been really up and down though with an overall loss of only 1kg which is much slower than the previous few months. I knew I was relaxing my diet a bit too much, the odd bowl of fruit or taste of potato or pizza was creeping back in. Last week I was away on holiday with my family so I took the opportunity to let myself come off the diet for a few days towards the end of the week. I allowed myself cakes and bread and even ice cream. The result was a weight gain of 1kg and terrible bloating/gas issues that caused suffering for the people around me as well as myself (sorry, TMI!). I've come back from holiday determined to get back on the wagon, I really think that I needed to give myself that conscious break to remind me how well this works for me and how miserable eating carbs makes me. I've been back to it for 3 days now and I've managed to keep my carbs below 30g each day without cheating, I just need to get through the keto-flu again :(
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Is the site down?

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I wrote a similar post just a couple weeks ago.You need to remember why you started this way of eating. You need to remember what you love about it and how it makes you feel. If those reasons aren't hitting home then find a way to eat and live that works with your lifestyle and your body! Everyone is different and not everyone reacts the same way. For some, having everything in moderation is enough. Not for me, because of my crazy blood sugar. I was doing cheat meals but as a poster pointed out, I am only cheating myself. And I really had to recognize why I was doing this to begin with and realize whether or not it was feasible. The benefits I receive from this way of eating way outweigh the carby snacks and meals readily available. Weigh the cost and benefits of eating each style for you personally. You need to just get back on the horse, forgive yourself (we are all human and things happen) and push forward.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Is the site down?

Sorry I typed it wrong. http://www.ketovangelist.com
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    We are like twins. I started May 4th, have lostt 33 lbs and I still want to lose around 34. I've been hitting a brick wall lately with just being fed up and tired and I did post here a few days ago about it. I had to really focus on how I felt BEFORE I started and compare it to how I feel now. I was told to imagine how I'd feel if I threw in the towel and look ahead 6 months from now and see myself with the 33 lbs back plus some! That would be horrible. I've really scaled back my meals to basics. Chicken with veggies, eggs and cheese. Just easy to make. Its seemed to have helped.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I've been absolutely fed up. I'll be perfect for 5 or so days, then go on a carb binge for 3 days. Rinse and repeat. Sigh.
  • kmhaley81
    kmhaley81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I've been absolutely fed up. I'll be perfect for 5 or so days, then go on a carb binge for 3 days. Rinse and repeat. Sigh.

I do this exact thing. Ugh.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a little luckier, in an unlucky sort of way... I'm a celiac and had to give up most convenience foods a few years ago. A crumb is enough to make me sick so I was, and still am, strict. I'm looking at LCHF the same way. I am eating this way to treat prediabetes, autoimmune problems, lose some weight, and stop my carb cravings. I know that if I go back, all of that will come right back, so I am resigned to the fact that I will never eat muffins, bread, noodles, rice, or potatoes again beyond a small bite... at least not if I want to maintain what I now have.

I got to the point where it wasn't worth it... It did take me a long time to get there though.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think a lot of it for me is that I lost (what feels like to me) a LOT of weight in a short space of time. I'm still obese, but look like other fat-but-not-gigantic people I know. I feel quite normal in a UK/NZ/AUS size 16, which is about a 14 in the USA I think. My energy levels are good and I can run and jump and chase kids, and walk for kilometres on end with no issues. I have lots of clothes that fit. My brain seems to be telling me it's all cool to just stop now because I am a medium tub of lard rather than a BMI of 52, weighs 253.5lbs truckload of lard.

I went from 253.5lbs to 167.5 in 8 months and just feel fuggin sick of restricting myself already. The last few pounds I keep losing and putting back on again because of the mental cycle I am stuck in.

My body is great, it loses weight fantastically and doesn't stall until my mouth and brain gang up on it to gorge.

It doesn't help that people keep plumping my ego up buy calling me slim, telling me I look 20 years younger bla bla bla. I love it so much, I think, well why change? I must already look great!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I understand you @nvmomketo! Being lucky in an unlucky sort of way is a way to describe it. I'm lucky to have the best motivation, ever, since it has helped my health so much, I won't be returning to my old woe. Plus, there won't be any feelings of deprivation either! :smiley: I'm hoping that most of my unlucky days are behind me! :smiley:
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I think a lot of it for me is that I lost (what feels like to me) a LOT of weight in a short space of time. I'm still obese, but look like other fat-but-not-gigantic people I know. I feel quite normal in a UK/NZ/AUS size 16, which is about a 14 in the USA I think. My energy levels are good and I can run and jump and chase kids, and walk for kilometres on end with no issues. I have lots of clothes that fit. My brain seems to be telling me it's all cool to just stop now because I am a medium tub of lard rather than a BMI of 52, weighs 253.5lbs truckload of lard.

I went from 253.5lbs to 167.5 in 8 months and just feel fuggin sick of restricting myself already. The last few pounds I keep losing and putting back on again because of the mental cycle I am stuck in.

My body is great, it loses weight fantastically and doesn't stall until my mouth and brain gang up on it to gorge.

It doesn't help that people keep plumping my ego up buy calling me slim, telling me I look 20 years younger bla bla bla. I love it so much, I think, well why change? I must already look great!

Are you happy?

So maybe there needs to be a change in how you see food, yourself, your future.

I have this Visio. K&G a future with do diet. I just know how to eat and am active

It works naturally.

It seems to be happening

I am cautiously optimistic

If others think you look great it doesn't matter. How you feel, that matters.

Sometimes people are nice and say kind things.

I am terrible at taking s compliment. You are not alone in that

Stay focused!!!

You can do it
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I've heard crunchy food cravings can be tied to anger or aggression. Whenever you want something crunchy, try some vigorous exercise, if you're able, instead. My husband uses the punching bag, but also find the elliptical to be cathartic.

If not, have a pickle instead!
  • nikoba
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much for chiming in on this. Reading your experiences helps soften the blow on how I've been feeling and as the saying goes, misery loves company...not that I want anyone else to be feeling bad, but there is some comfort in knowing I'm not alone in this battle. I really do think it boils down to changing my perspective...which oddly is easier said than done.

The thing that hit home that was mentioned is fast forwarding 6 months and realizing how defeated I'd feel if I put back on the weight I lost and went back to feeling like a sack of poo. I've been down that path already and really really really do not want to end up there again.

@AngInCanada we really are twins in this, it sounds like our stats are similar too.

@minties82 I can totally relate there too...I'm not near my final goal, let alone my goal to be under 200lbs. But since I have lost weight and am feeling better than I used to, it's almost like my brain is like "that'll do pig, that'll do" (Babe reference, not that I call myself a pig) and it's like this mental road block to keep rockin' it with my weightloss...because when I stick to things strictly, I lose pretty well too.

@glossbones I don't know why I find that hilarious, but I do. Probably because if you met me I have a tiny cartoon voice and am usually a pretty laid back positive person. I get a kick outta the fact that perhaps there is some deep rooted anger brewing inside. I have just recently started adding light weights to my squats and lunges...but maybe I'll have to take your advice and pick up the pace with some agro exercise...or listen to some Iron Maiden when working out :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What helped me was actually going carnivore. Even if you don't do it long term, try doing a sort of "reset" of just animal-kingdom foods for a week or two. Meat, eggs, etc (if you do dairy, stick to hard cheese and butter during it, avoid fluid milk/cream). Doing that takes out even the sugars found in vegetables, which might have been enough to keep the carb cravings going.

Beyond that, don't just think about the weight you've lost. Think about the health you've very likely gained. Even if you thought you were healthy before, odds are pretty good that something improved when you were strict. It's probably starting to creep back in now that you've regressed. That's okay, don't beat yourself up over it. Acknowledge it, inventory the effects, and take it as a lesson.

The general weight loss crowd has the saying "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." I prefer the improvement that I thought of some time ago -- "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels."
  • nikoba
    Options
    @Dragonwolf that is awesome perspective...especially since the whole reason I switched to this way of eating was to get healthier. Weight was a component of that, but my health was really my main motivator. I guess I didn't even realize it until just now reading your post, but somewhere along the way, I started focusing on the weightloss more than the health benefits.

I do love my veggies, but I'm willing to give the carnivore thing a try for a week and see how it goes/feels. Do you still use oils or spices to cook?
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I got a lot out of the book Ending Emotional Eating. It explains a lot about mindfulness, dealing with urges and making choices that fit in with your goals. I recommend it for those that hit the wall (I did too)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    @Dragonwolf that is awesome perspective...especially since the whole reason I switched to this way of eating was to get healthier. Weight was a component of that, but my health was really my main motivator. I guess I didn't even realize it until just now reading your post, but somewhere along the way, I started focusing on the weightloss more than the health benefits.

I do love my veggies, but I'm willing to give the carnivore thing a try for a week and see how it goes/feels. Do you still use oils or spices to cook?

Animal-based oils, so things like butter, lard/bacon grease, and tallow are kosher. I'll do spices sometimes, though I'm the type of person that likes the flavor of meat for meat's sake, so I've never been one to really doctor stuff up with spices, but neither am I going to freak when my husband marinades the pork chops for grilling.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread...and much thanks to @Dragonwolf for the idea of going carnivore for a month. I plan on giving this a try also.