Lifting programme recommendations

Options
RGreenthumb
RGreenthumb Posts: 22 Member
Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a new lifting plan. I've been lifting for just over a year and have worked through NROLFW, dabbled in Stronglifts and I'm nearing the end of Strong Curves. I've enjoyed all three, though I think Stronglifts was my least favourite as it just didn't have as much variety.

If it makes any difference, I'm looking to try a bulk (once I no longer have to worry about fitting into my wedding dress) because I'm starting to feel like my lifts are stalling and I could do with some more power in my frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you mainly looking for strength or hypertrophy?

• andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hey I'd like some recommendations too.
    I've been doing 5x5 and eating above maintenance to try and build muscle but a friend said hypertrophy would be better at that?
    The attractive thing for me on 5x5 is that the workouts are short, so I can do them before work. I'd like a similar thing if hitting hypertrophy. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • MattBrouse
    MattBrouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "...eating above maintenance to try and build muscle but a friend said hypertrophy would be better at that?"

Clarify this. Eating above maintenance concordant with resistance training is what will lead to hypertrophy.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Was friend perhaps speaking of a different rep range, as compared to 5 usually being in range for strength?

3 x or 2 x 8-12 reps doesn't take too much longer at lighter weight than 5 x 5 at heavier weight.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success with Wendler's 5/3/1 programs. I usually do his "Boring But Big" program when I want to bulk.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Was friend perhaps speaking of a different rep range, as compared to 5 usually being in range for strength?

3 x or 2 x 8-12 reps doesn't take too much longer at lighter weight than 5 x 5 at heavier weight.

Well spotted, Bales! (As usual!)

Yeah she said I've been doing strength for too long and I should aim for hypertrophy at lighter weights.
    SO: What I've been doing now (and omG It's been killing me! haha)

I keep the strength training and add the hypertrophy after.
    So for example today I did squats 5x5 (I actually did 6 to push myself a bit :P)
    Lunges with a 20k on the barbell - 2x 12 (per side)

then I did chest press 6x5, then another chest machine 3x12 superset with back machine for the same amount
    Finished the day with barbell rows doing 8x5.

Would that work as a mix of hypertrophy whilst growing strength?

Happy to hear any more advice!
    Also, when using mfp I keep it set to 2400 cals (I try to go up 100 every 2 weeks). I use a misfit to calculate my steps so by the end of the day I'm averaging 2800 cals or so (although I tend to go over - I'm ALWAYS hungry).

Anyway - if I set my diary to 2800 - do I still eat back exercise calories (or at least the ones from walking?)

Just unsure if I should!
    Thanks!

• heybales
    Options
    I'd suggest for TDEE correct Misfit for the lifting which it can't possibly get the calorie burn right on.

Then taking rolling 2 week average to decide what the next weeks average TDEE is, and increase as desired.

In this case that is static number, no eating back exercise because it's already included in your weekly average.

That rolling 2 week method accounts for seasonal changes that usually happen.

Oh, don't include a known odd week - like sick or worked extra or did extra cardio for some reason.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    But that's the thing. If I do tdee it considered my level of energy. If I'm going over just by waking (as misfit won't account for the lifting) shouldn't I eat back if I get extra calories? Since that means I walked more? Or would tdee cover the lifting and extra walking?
  • heybales
    Options
    Unless this week you did 4-5 hrs of extra walking that you did NOT due the prior week (that prior week setup cals for this week), so that it's already included in the TDEE average - then it'll balance out and not be that big.

Misfit should be correct by manual logging for the weight lifting, their site - that way when you use their estimate of average daily burn for a week - it is best estimate.

Or if you want to have adjusting eating goal each day and you can handle eating different amount each day and still reach goal, then sync the accounts.
    Still manually add lifting to correct Misfit's bad estimate. MFP or Misfit doesn't matter.

Set MFP to maintenance setting as weight loss goal.
    Now whatever your daily eating goal is - add 250-500.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    I'm a bit confused about the information @heybales !
    Currently my setup is - set my calories to 2400, set MFP to gain 0.25 a week.
    Then I got negative adjustement and sync Misfit.

Like I said obviously the walking is being accounted for on the Misfit side, but what about the lifting? I'm just unsure how that'd pan out. Most TDEE calculators see as "medium activity" someone who lifts 3-5 times a week. I do about 3/4 for an hour/an hour and a half.

Would that be accurate? What's your experience?
    Also, any lifting recommendations or do you think what I'm doing is currently okay?

Thanks again!
  • heybales
    Options
    You can't manually log workouts on Misfit's site?

No, I don't think the lifting is being accounted for because it's not step-based. Hence I've mentioned manually logging it on Misfit's site - that must be done.

TDEE sites also only talk about exercise - nothing about daily activity outside of exercise.
    You and a mail carrier walking 6 hrs daily that lifts 3-5 hrs weekly would chose the same TDEE level - and obviously that ain't true.

That's why you've got a device that'll give you infinite TDEE levels daily - once corrected for accuracy.

And as soon as you manually set an eating goal, what you think is happening probably isn't with the math.
    Because the math for adjustment is concerning a figure you can't adjust.

So proper setup on MFP is needed.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    I'm guessing the bulking is working. I'm a little concerned since today I've noticed my shirts are getting quite tight! Could it be water weight? arbEJlp.jpg
  • heybales
    Options
    Easily could be - do you have several days in a row of different muscle lifting?
    Retained water for repair.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    I do 5x5 and then do hypertrophy associated with the muscle groups being worked. Usually 3 sets of 12.
    So lately I've been adding lunges (really trying to get stronger legs here! lol)
    And then I will use some machines and try to superset. I try to keep it varied but working different muscle groups.

I think it keeps it a bit more interesting.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ^I'd recommend finding a "tried and true" program you enjoy rather than adding what you think is interesting.
    Have you looked at any of Candito's Programs?
    http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-strength-programs/

Or the gazillion options at Black Iron Beast?
    https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

And regarding " to try and build muscle but a friend said hypertrophy would be better at that?":
    Brad Schoenfield's (and others) research suggests volume is more important than rep range.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24714538
    http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/
  • andyluvv
    Options
    Thanks @_benjammin ! They seem quite interesting but also complicated :/
    On that note - I found a really interesting article on the Arnie website :pensive:http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/the-basics-of-training-for-size-part-1-split-decisions-over-split-routines
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^Yeah, manage volume and recovery.
    Do a 6-8 week program, deload, evaluate, do another program. Trust the process while figuring out what you prefer.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You can't manually log workouts on Misfit's site?

The Misfit app doesn't allow editing activities for adjusted calorie burns. You can log it but it doesn't change the TDEE reported. This is quite distressing for those of us who are OCD about our numbers and like all our sites to match up!

But you can make a note of this in MFP note sections and account for it.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm doing - covers both strength and hypertrophy and is varied enough to still be interesting

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    This is what I'm doing - covers both strength and hypertrophy and is varied enough to still be interesting

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

Great link! Thanks for this! :)