Who has healed their thyroid or is healing their thyroid?

SkinnyKerinny
SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
I went WAY over what I had intended to eat today. I'm not sure what's going on but I realized today that I'm not getting better with the thyroid situation so part of it is because I'm super upset that after all THAT it doesn't look like I'm getting better. So I'm sure that's at least part of it. If there is anyone reading this that has healed their thyroid please talk to me. I've been so scared and upset over this. Gah! I don't want to give up and live on welfare for the rest of my life. I'm a fighter DAMN IT!!! The next thing I'm going to try is zinc combined with Vitamin D while reducing the dessicated thyroid I've been taking (presenting signs of autoimmune disorder, etc. with the thyroid swelling in my throat and feeling like I'm choking) Something has to work right!

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean about "healing" your thyroid.

I've had autoimmune thyroid disease with multi-nodular goiter (that's actually how they found the Hashimoto's--food getting stuck in my throat) since I was 11 and I'm now 33. I just keep on taking my pill every day and keep up with the blood draws and biopsies on the nodules.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    If there is anyone reading this that has healed their thyroid please talk to me.
    The next thing I'm going to try is zinc combined with Vitamin D while reducing the dessicated thyroid I've been taking (presenting signs of autoimmune disorder, etc. with the thyroid swelling in my throat and feeling like I'm choking).

I'm confused. Have you been diagnosed with thyroid disease? If so, take your meds! The only treatment is medication (plus in some cases surgery or radiation). You cannot "heal" your thyroid. Period.

Or have you self-diagnosed yourself with thyroid disease because you have a tight throat (and/or you're overweight)? If so, get your levels checked. If your GP says your thyroid is fine and you don't believe him or her, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. An ultrasound will confirm whether or not you have nodules on your thyroid (aka a goiter).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Everyone slips - just make up for it the following day, week, month, etc. Last week I was over my 2000cals, but made up for it over the weekend (that and still holding onto a monster burger in my gut - ugh). You're in this for the long term and your body doesn't recognize the close out of a day the way MFP logging does.

You cannot heal your thyroid with food or supplements - thyroid disorders are treated with surgery and/or medicine. Are you reducing your desiccated thyroid intake under a physician's care? I hope you are not attempting this on your own.
  • Ivonne_992
    Ivonne_992 Posts: 45 Member
    I healed my hyperthyroidism.
    I had it for about 2 years, and my hormones were damn crazy, I never had any results from therapies, i weighed 50kgs.. Then, I started to go to the gym. Later on, doctor said I need to go to radioactive iodine therapy, because I experienced thyreotoxicosis. I declined, stopped using medication and changed my diet. I went on a ketosis. After three months on a cyclical keto diet, i went to normal diet for a month, and guess what?
    My hormones were perfect! Its been a year from that, and Im still healthy :)
    And I finally gained muscles, 20 kgs of them :D:D
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Information seems to indicate inflammation is at the bottom of many health problems including thyroid related ones, often the causes of symptoms are seemingly unrelated to the expression of the inflammation(s). Yeast induced inflammation would be wiped out by a keto diet particularly. As I have said previously most of my symptoms fall outside of the "usual" hashi suspect range. I consider I need to restore or repair what ever "internal pathways" are disrupted in order to calm my tinnitus and chemical sensitivities which "conventional" medicine with its one size fits all attitude is failing to address.

Our genetics may predispose us to issues though if we can remove our personal triggers we may be able to put our symptoms into remission. I do not expect to be "conventional medication free", it is much too late for that, my hope is I can force my providers to be more patient appropriate.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Well I don't know, I have hashimoto disease and they showed me ultrasound pictures and the darn thing is dead
    d e a d dead, like anything else ma'am if someone is trying to sell you something (I don't know if they are or not) they're probably just trying to make your wallet lighter. Healthy foods, some vitamins if the doc says they are ok to take, and your medication can work together to make the condition more livable, but as far as I know there is no cure or reversal for hypothyroidism. I have felt better with a higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet, as I feel less hungry and can hit my calorie goal more easily, and taking a few multivitamins.

If you were recently diagnosed it takes a great deal of time to get on the right medication that works on you, and then the right dose, its been about 2 years for them to get it right for me. Exercise and a diet of healthy foods that you can stick to is really important too. You can do it. Good Luck :)
  • BeckFair
    BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
    I think it took about 18 months to two years to get my dose regulated. But it's a forever thing. My hormone production is not coming back without the meds. However my dose has not changed in 13 years, so that means to me that it's not getting worse. I've read that iodine is essential to production of thyroid hormone and most Americans are deficient in iodine so I'm thinking of starting an iodine supplement. Iodine used to be used in commercial bread baking but they replaced it as a dough conditioner with something else that also depletes iodine in our bodies. So if you eat commercially baked goods you are making things worse.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I agree with everyone else. There is no healing your thyroid. I go on and off meds according to my doctor. My body can regulate my thyroid for a little while on its own but eventually my levels are such that I need to go back on meds. In the end I will have to do this for the rest of my life.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    If there was a way to heal my thyroid, I missed it. I would've hoped I could find a way, too, all the research I did. Just to give you an idea of what *I* am going thru, I tossed out the TDEE a looooong time ago. I now count my calories as "thyroid" calories. As my birthday rolls around every year, I find the calorie budget is less and less.
  • CoadyJune
    CoadyJune Posts: 10 Member
    There is a lot of hype nowadays about curing thyroid disorders, but if there is a cure, I sure haven't found it. Anyone diagnosed with hypothyroidism is looking for trouble if they stop taking their medication.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    I think this is one of those statements that is partially true and partially not true. I agree that there is no "cure" in the sense of what a lot of junk science books claim, so taking your meds is important.

BUT, one large caveat, is for people with an autoimmune basis for their thyroid disorder -- such as Hashi's. Hashi's accounts for something like 70% of the the thyroid disorders, so most people that have a thyroid disorder have an autoimmune issue going on. Autoimmune diseases are not well understood generally, and that's the same for Hashi's. For some people, they have dietary triggers that make the AI response worse. So, some through an elimination diet have found that if they eliminate certain things from their diet, they feel much better. The most common ones I know of are (1) gluten and (2) casein and lactose from dairy. But this isn't the case for everyone -- it's really a case-by-case basis.

But I think this is what these books are tapping into -- the commonly seen triggers for people with autoimmune issues. If you can remove the triggers from your diet, your AI will be much better generally. I think that's what they often mean by "cure". Not truly accurate, but for some people, it probably does feel that way. I just wish there were better tests to show people what those triggers are -- but most just have to do an elimination diet for an extended period of time to learn it (and many don't want the hassle unless their condition is particularly bad -- which I totally understand).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I think this is what these books are tapping into -- the commonly seen triggers for people with autoimmune issues. If you can remove the triggers from your diet, your AI will be much better generally. I think that's what they often mean by "cure". Not truly accurate, but for some people, it probably does feel that way.

This is a really important point—our symptoms are rarely 100% about our thyroid. You cannot heal your thyroid, but you can reduce the fatigue by getting tested for iron, B12 + D deficiencies. You can lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. You can use the elimination diet to identify foods that make you feel worse.

Caveat: all of the above should be done in addition to taking your meds—never instead of. But talk to your endocrinologist about all three options: Synthroid, Synthroid + Cytomel, or Armour.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    What about treating any "underlying causes of hypo such as competing hormones" as @CSARdiver has mentioned in the past. Would that not be a cure?