Atkins Induction, a couple questions.

Options
2»

Replies

• panda8294
    panda8294 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So many ideas! Thanks everyone, I can't wait to try some of these recipes and I've bookmarked the websites. I love this group, so helpful.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    * Creamed spinach! I just throw a bunch of cream-making ingredients in with some cooked spinach, LOL.
    * I also do the zucchini boat thing, sort of make them into pizzas.
    * Portobello mushrooms can be made into pizzas.
    * I love brussels sprouts, cooked but not overcooked and then sliced in half and lightly sauteed in butter. Yum! My infant son loves them like this too. LOL
    * Broccoli and/or cauliflower loaded with butter and cheese.
    * Green salads can offer variety depending on meats, cheese, dressings, and add-ins (nuts, feta cheese, bacon, ham, chicken, whatever!)
    * Stir fry is always a tasty and quick one-dish meal.
    * I hear of all kinds of things being done with squash, although I don't have the patience and just end up cooking it in a frying pan with loads of butter, some garlic, and some salt.
    * Oh, and asparagus cooked with butter and garlic. Mmmm.

So I guess I like butter, garlic, salt, and cheese! :)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    And I don't know who you people are, only eating half an avocado! I have no problem with leftover avocados because I eat whole avocados. In fact, when my teenager was visiting and I had to share my avocados with her, I had a hard time! :wink:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    * I hear of all kinds of things being done with squash, although I don't have the patience and just end up cooking it in a frying pan with loads of butter, some garlic, and some salt.

I did some squash and zucchini and onion like this last week and sprinkled on some parmesan cheese too, it was awesome. Sometimes I use garlic pepper or Mrs. Dash seasoning. But the Parmesan really kicked it up.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    And I don't know who you people are, only eating half an avocado! I have no problem with leftover avocados because I eat whole avocados. In fact, when my teenager was visiting and I had to share my avocados with her, I had a hard time! :wink:

I'm with you! It can be heavy on the carbs so sometimes half is good in a salad.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just sautéed green bell peppers in butter and coconut oil with garlic and a bit of onion powder. Super yum! Had them with Italian sausage.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    OK so O bought some heavy whipping cream today. It is high in fat, no carbs or protein much at all. I had it with sugar free jello. It was good but think I had too much!!!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I toss veggies with olive oil and salt and roast them for 45 min at 400. They are particularly good when mixed ie zucchini, mushrooms and cauliflower. I make a big pan and reheat leftovers for dinner several times during the week. Just use any low GI veg.
  • MrsMES10
    MrsMES10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Look at ruled.me for veggie recipes. I love the pecan roasted green beans and bacon sauteed snap peas.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the Launch Pad, OP. It's a great resource for this group and any level of low carb you may be. I read some reluctance to fat in some of the posts on this thread though. I, too, was very reluctant to increasing my fat intake in the beginning. I now know (even though I read it in this group, the thought of eating butter grossed me out!) That the fat is the key to developing the complete control over food like you can only dream about! Please try! You will be so glad you did. My attitude now is, bring on the butter! :smiley:
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

I eat avocados fairly often, about half an avocado a day. They are good for both fat and fiber, and mix well with salads, TexMex, even soups as a garnish. I eat a salad most days. Today I had romaine lettuce topped with tuna salad and an avocado.

May I ask, how do you keep the other half of the avocado fresh? I usually end up eating a whole avocado because it goes brown so quickly otherwise. Thanks!

Sunny's advice is great. Two other things you can do: spread the half you're saving with mayo, put it in a tupperware container in the fridge and scrape off the mayo (or just eat it!) when you're ready. Or drizzle with lemon or lime juice. I find it doesn't keep quite as well this way, but you can cut the small amount of brown off and the rest should be fine if you have it the next day.

Now when it comes to choosing avocados in the first place, I try to buy them really hard and let them sit on the counter a few days before cutting them open. Otherwise, they're already bruised and on their way to rotten by the time I cut them.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Technically, technically!, Atkins (at least the version I read in 1999) induction allows one salad and one side of a veggie at dinner. Any more than that and you risk exceeding your VERY LOW carb count of 20g. Only as you enter OWL to Maintenance do you add more veggies. SO going whole hog on learning and incorporating more veggie dishes COULD be detrimental to the induction phase.
    But ADD FAT to everything! Mayo, butter, Coconut oil, Olive oil, Bacon grease or lard. Up the fats!
    *BTW, for those of us with diabetes and that dreaded dawn syndrome, eating less protein and more fat actually improves that over time.
  • aholt7286
    aholt7286 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies with Alfredo sauce!!!! Mmmmmmm!!