Menopause and weight loss

Options
pennie29
pennie29 Posts: 7 Member
any advice on ways to lose weight when your body is already so messed up with menopause and everything else .. Lost 12 pounds but have more to go .

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Several commenters in your thread on the main boards http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10241051/menopause-and-weight-loss/p1 say weight loss was easier when they were younger because their lifestyle was more active.

I'd never realized that before, but it's 100% true in my case. I can't remember the last time I went dancing!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Working out. Not just cardio, but also lifting. Without that, you can get sluggish and the loss slows to a crawl, if you're anything like me.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Here is a quote from @tabletmfp from the above mentioned menopause thread. Perhaps it is reason for hope if we just hang on. . . .

"The most difficult time I had was when I was pre menopausal at 48 or 49. No matter what I did or how little I ate I could not loose more than a pound! I was in Weight watchers then and even if I ate 800 or 900 calories p it made no difference! It was soul destroying! I hit menopause at 50 and gave up trying, but at 53 I discovered fasting and the 5 2. My periods had stopped for over a year, totally gone. I was delighted to find that this time my efforts were rewarded, and here I am aged 54 having lost 16 KGS. I firmly believe that hormonal changes in pre menopause prevented ANY weight loss, and I really relate to anyone going through that! But it will pass, believe me!"

I am almost 47, and it seems that I cannot lose. I've not eaten regularly below 1200 cals, but eating between 1200-1400 doesn't do it! Instead I gained while eating 1500 and exercising daily. At least the gain has stopped now.
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and just started back with Mfp. I exercise quite a bit but have found that no matter how much I work out....if I don't watch what I eat, I will gain weight. I do bootcamp style work outs about 3-5 days a week and then also walk at least twice a week. Cutting down on sugar really helps, because the more sugar I eat, the more I crave it. Also watching my sodium also helps. :) I am still pre-menopausal, hopefully that will change soon. It stinks that all my fat goes straight to my belly. Hope to lose weight before I turn 50! Good luck!!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • cbfliz
    cbfliz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I firmly believe that hormonal changes in pre menopause prevented ANY weight loss, and I really relate to anyone going through that! But it will pass, believe me!"

This gives me hope!
    I joined MFP just over 3 years ago and lost the weight I wanted without too much difficulty. I have been happily maintaining for a couple of years now, with only minor fluctuations.
    At 48 I am fairly sure I am premenopausal, with the odd skipped periods over the last couple of years. However, a couple of months back my weight took a step upwards by a few pounds. It seemed to coincide with another missed period (maybe coincidental). I have actively dropped back my calories and am monitoring food more closely again but it refuses to budge.
    I know I'm not talking about huge amounts, but I want to nip it in the bud before it starts to creep back up too far! I'm hoping if I just stick with it something will eventually give.
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and struggling with the menopausal weight challenge. I've adopted the K.I.S.S. plan: Keep It Simple, Sue (that's me). Basically move more, eat less. Yes, avoiding sugar and processed foods is very helpful as well as trying to build more muscle mass. As our metabolism slows down, we have to work harder to achieve the results we crave. Be tenacious. It will pay off. Never give up!!
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Love reading the posts. :)
  • jnjw2001
    jnjw2001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All these posts are excellent! Will be 55 on wednesday. My last period was october 13, 2008. That's when I had a hysterectomy.I had started while getting prepped for surgery. Still have ovaries so get to have hot flashes! Quit smoking two years ago and started gaining weight. Decided I wanted to shed some of the extra baggage. Joined In-shape gym and do water aerobics on mondays and Thursdays. I also do step aerobics and bike riding on weekends, plus watching calories. I'm in it for the long haul!!
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed reading these posts. Nice to know I'm not the only one struggling here. Some days it feels like I'm the only woman over 50, post-menopausal who is doomed to never lose weight. I haven't seen the scale budge in over a month!

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I count every freaking calorie that goes into my mouth. I weigh all my foods to get an exact calorie count, I drink between 70 and 90 ounces of water a day and I exercise 3 or 4 or 5 time a week. I'm about at my breaking point and ready to just give up. That's my emotion talking. My mind says "keep going, don't give up." I'm 52 and have no hormones anymore due to my hysterectomy when I was 36. I ended hormone replacement therapy last year after being on it for 15 years. I now wonder if that was the right decision. Other than some sleep issues, I really have no other menopausal type symptoms. I have an appointment in November with a new gynecologist and plan to discuss this problem with her. I have to lose weight due to back and knee problems, but at this rate, I’m starting to lose hope. I talked to my 23 year old, male trainer (no way can he relate to my struggle, but I just adore him) about it last night and he suggested a little more cardio and no carbs or sugar after 3 pm. He also suggested upping my daily calorie intake for the next two weeks, then decrease by 50 every two weeks. I thought those were good suggestions, so I will do that. We are also going to increase our training sessions to three times a week. He pushes me a little more than my last trainer did and I suspect that after our talk last night he may ramp it up even more. I dread and look forward that.

Okay, rant over. Just had to get that off my chest. I hope to have good news soon! Bless you all!