Ketone monitoring

Options
Emmie112
Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
I'm just wondering if anyone else uses a ketone monitor to track their progress? I've been playing around with mine this week and I can't seem to get a high ketone reading. But it keeps me on track to avoid carbs.

For those using a monitor, do you have an tips to get a higher reading?

Replies

• Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What are the general macro ratios you stick to? Eg: 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb
    Are you using a blood meter or ketostix?
  • Emmie112
    Options
    Thanks! I set my macros in grams to make sure I'm getting my minimum protein and not going over carbs. I'll try changing it to be in percentages and see how that works out.

I'm using a blood monitor
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough fat and not too much protein! I am squirreling away my quarters to get a blood meter in the next month or so.
  • Helewisa
    Helewisa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The ketostix are not really useful to know your blood ketone levels. You'll need that Precision Xtra glucose/ketone blood tester. The part that makes me choke is the fact that these ketone test strips cost about $5 EACH! That's right, almost $50 for a box of 10...I will need to shop around, but this will be something I only check periodically. I hope to have all the goodies arrive in the mail by late Sept 12 or 14th. I'll let you know how I fare.
  • Emmie112
    Options
    I use the Precision Xtra monitor as well. I went to pick up some more ketone strips today and my pharmacist upgraded my monitor to the Precision Neo for free! I can't wait to try the it out. It's suppose to take a reading in 5 seconds.

There are a few Canadian websites that sell the Freestyle ketone strips for $25 a box. And some websites offer a free monitor if you purchase 100 strips.
  • Helewisa
    Helewisa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Emmie112 wrote: »
    I use the Precision Xtra monitor as well. I went to pick up some more ketone strips today and my pharmacist upgraded my monitor to the Precision Neo for free! I can't wait to try the it out. It's suppose to take a reading in 5 seconds.

There are a few Canadian websites that sell the Freestyle ketone strips for $25 a box. And some websites offer a free monitor if you purchase 100 strips.

Wow, $25. I have GOT to check that out. These strips are far too expensive. I only check occasionally due to the cost. Thanks for info Emmie, do you have a link to a site perhaps?