Finally got my surgery date so nervous now!

Options
I finally was able to schedule my sleeve for 10/13/15 and the nerves are kicking in. Any advice on making the pre-op diet tolerable? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Start right this moment working towards the pre-op diet. If you have any macros you need to adjust, start that now. If you haven't cut the foods you're supposed to not have, use this weekend as a "food funeral" and then cut them come Tuesday. Remember that limitations of the pre-op diet are easier than the post-op. You might as well start now getting yourself into the right mindset. Say goodbye to the foods you can't have, close the door, and move on. The mental game is a huge part of this. Start now.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree on the mental game. When you want to cheat, think about whether it's more important to you to have (cheat food) or to have a successful surgery. Also, you can start just thinking of yourself as someone who doesn't eat (sweets, fatty foods, etc.), and that makes everything easier. The first three to five days are the hardest, after that your body gets used to the new way of eating. If you break the diet, you have to go through that period again.

What's your pre-op diet?
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above; start now to get your head in the game! Learn to sip fluids, rather than guzzle them. Plan your post op period carefully so that you are able to establish your eating and drinking habits before returning to work. (and don't go back to work too early - take a minimum of two weeks - personal opinion here, I know ALOT of you go back after 3-7 days.)
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Echoing everyone else. Start making your changes now, buy a pedometer/Fitbit and start tracking your movements, and try to increase a little bit every day. Grt in the habit of bringing your water bottle (no straws) everywhere. Say good bye to your alcohol and junk food, start backing off on caffeine. Start taking your vitamins now and start spreading them out throughout the day to get them in.

You can do this, but post op will be much easier if you start building your habits now.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You have to decide what you will give up to weigh less and be healthier. I'm a huge wino. (Seriously, my DH and I ran a wine group and still do tastings on a regular basis.) And wine means cheese. When people asked me how I could give that up, my answer is "I'm highly motivated to weigh less and be healthier." Hopefully you shopped for a surgeon/clinic that matches your needs. (My program is plant based, mostly vegetarian. I could not follow a meat-heavy diet. I've been systematically removing meat from my diet for 10 years. But that's me.) The liquid diet part of the pre-op will test your mettle. Mine was 2 weeks before, 2 weeks after. The process is not for the wishywashy. Use this time to make decisions about your long term dedication. For me: food log every day, and weigh every morning, logging that also. This is my accountability.