Confused about fasting blood sugar readings

Options
cloudy68
cloudy68 Posts: 65 Member
When I met with my diabetes educational coordinator, she said a reading between 80-130 was acceptable for a morning fasting reading. However, in reading all of your posts, most of you think anything above 110 is not a good reading and strive to have readings below 100 -- I usually get readings around 115-120 and have been thinking that was "ok" but apparently those aren't very good readings -- confused!!!!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like to refer to this chart: http://www.type2diabetesguide.com/conversion-chart-for-blood-sugar-levels.shtml#.VesMnMu9KSN

Anything below 100 (5.5) is normal. Prediabetic is 101-125 (5.6-6.9). I am shooting for normal. Any lowering is an improvement though.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Hm. Experts tell me to pack on the insulin for any sugars above 150, no matter when they happen (unless, of course, I forgot to let my alchol-rubbed finger dry, in which case I retest). I once got a pre-protein-snack reading of 90, which is supposed to be too little, but felt fine other than a moderate food craving, which my shake satisfied. I guess it depends on your body and situation, but I may be thoroughly confused as well.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    cloudy68 wrote: »
    When I met with my diabetes educational coordinator, she said a reading between 80-130 was acceptable for a morning fasting reading. However, in reading all of your posts, most of you think anything above 110 is not a good reading and strive to have readings below 100 -- I usually get readings around 115-120 and have been thinking that was "ok" but apparently those aren't very good readings -- confused!!!!

I think that there are varying opinions about this, even the ADA has a different set of standard than The Society for Endrinologists. To me a FBS of 108 would be amazing. For you, maybe not so much. Its a puzzle.