Do you take Vitamin D? Calcium? Other supplements?

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
So I make myself a honkin' smoothie and cram a lot of nutrients in there but sometimes I can barely get it down, what with all the beet powder and chewy flax. Plus, on the days that I'm up and out super early, I can't choke it down before I have to leave.

So I bought some supplements to use on those days. Of course, I don't want to take enough calcium to create kidney problems, for instance ....

Anyone?

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Just a daily vitamin and extra B12 on the advice of my doctor due to low levels in the last blood work tests.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    I put all of this stuff in my smoothies. Once a month, I sit for an hour to measure and bag everything:

Protein powder
    Chia seeds
    Sesame seeds
    Goji powder
    Acai powder
    Cinnamon
    Cacao nibs
    Hemp
    Flax
    Powdered Calcium
    Vitamin D
    Maca

and a Choice of: Beet, carrot, or
    pomegranate powder, tart cherry,
    green wheat grass powder

Lately, with coconut milk or cashew milk, I mix a Greek yogurt and the following: Protein powder, green wheat grass powder, Chia seeds, Sesame seeds, Goji powder, Acai powder, cinnamon , Cacao nibs, Hemp, Flax, Powdered Calcium, Vitamin D, Maca, Beets, carrots, pomegranate powder, tart cherry

I'm sort of tired of the clumps and the measuring and I'm thinking that when I use up the beets and carrots and fruity stuff, I won't buy them again. Also, I'm kind of tired of chewing the flax seeds and finding the chia seeds stuck in my teeth all day.

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I do Vit D, B complex, Ca (500 mg) and fish oil if I don't have fish.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I put a little ground flax (under 1 TBS) in my pre-workout protein shake about 4 or 5 mornings a week. Other than that I take fish oil about 3 or 4 times a week along with a multi-vitamin, vitamin C and a B-complex. About twice a week I take a Calcium/potassium/magnesium supplement but it's mostly to help with muscle recovery from lifting weights. Vitamin D is plentiful in my life as I spend a lot of time outdoors and all my lab results are good so that's about it for me.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    I take 1000IU of vitamin D daily. Along with an 81mg aspirin and a statin for my &$@? Heart
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D. I need to remember to take it. I am bad with supplements.
  • fitotrim
    fitotrim Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I take 2 viactin (chewable calcium, vitamin d) throughout day in addition to multivit. At start of day. This is on phyisician advice since I have osteopenia.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Oh, hun, quit torturing yourself. You can get most of your vitamins/minerals without gagging down that stuff. I take an old lady multi-vitamin, a C and alternate D and E and truth be told, probably don't really need them. If we just eat right, we are probably fine.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C, Lysine, B6, B12, Omega 3, CoQ10, Magnesium, Iron plus heart meds - all approved by cardiologist. No longer take BP meds or Statins - YEAH !!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian multi vitamin (1/2 dose, they're mega-crazy), algae omega-3s, vitamin D, and calcium (I'm osteopenic), plus prescription levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, and am weaning myself off Esomeprazole. Some of the stuff others report as supplements (Chia, cinnamon, cocoa nibs . . . .) I eat more or less frequently, but consider to be food.

I am not a smoothie person. And I prefer whole foods as opposed to powdered or other extracted/processed stuff, so I don't do protein powders & such. (It's an eating preference, not a religion. I'm not saying you should do the same! ;) )
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 how are you weaning of esomeprazole? Have been on it for a year and a half. Cut dose in half maybe 8 months ago.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    You should checkout TrueFood by brightcore nutrition. After only 3 days I could tell a difference in how I feel. I have never felt a difference with any other supplements. I also take Vitamin D3. I also just started taking collagen.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    bm1409, has taking collagen made a difference in your skin? Actually, I was not aware one could ingest collagen. I always thought it was just in skin creams.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    bm1409, has taking collagen made a difference in your skin? Actually, I was not aware one could ingest collagen. I always thought it was just in skin creams.

I have just started taking it. I take Dr. Axe protein collage. It comes from grass fed cows and there is a LOT of great reviews. Some people drink bone broth for collagen. After I take if for a month I will report back and tell you if I have noticed a difference. I noticed a difference in how I felt only after 3 days on the TrueFood by brightcore nutrition. There most be something in it that my body needed.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    I will have to look into TrueFood. I look forward to hearing about the collagen.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    I've never taken fish oil or Omega supplements; I eat fish!
  • sunshine77493
    sunshine77493 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to take a ton of supplements but I've reduced it to a liquid multi-vitamin called Organic Life Vitamins, plus Ubiquinol, Vitamin E, Krill Oil, B6 and a Probiotic in the AM. Also taking Green Coffee Bean Extract and Garcinia Cambogia. At bedtime I take Magnesium Glycinate and Vitamin D3. I don't do smoothies anymore. I did at one time and got rather sick of them. Rather eat solid food.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    After blood work, my doc put me on Metafolin (helps with inflammation), D3, Fish oil.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    B6 and B12 washed down with my early morning coffee and probably washed right out with my later morning...
  • anniesgolden
    anniesgolden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been asking myself WHY about a lot of routines lately, it's part of my "developing good lifetime habits" approach (rather than the previously-failed "being on a diet" approach). I used to sit down every month and make up daily packets of supplements. Cut out a lot of supplements by asking WHY - even WHY take supplements at all (because it adds something you don't get from your diet). WHY take fish oil (because we don't get enough Omega-3 from our diet - well, that's changed, we eat a lot of fish now).

Now it's down to just an old-lady multivitamin (WHY? Because it claims to help hot flashes, and although I don't really believe it, at this point I'll do anything) and extra iron (WHY? Because I'm anemic and adding iron-rich foods wasn't enough).

I've become a three-year old. WHY is the sky blue? WHY does cinnamon smell so good? WHY are you taking all those supplements? :)