It's goal-tember! Get yo' ducks in a row!

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
(Before they fly away for winter...)

So I haven't seen a September goal thread. Heck, I don't recall seeing one in August (not that I cared then). And I haven't actually had goals to follow since the shoulder injury. I've just been drifting and that never ends well *glances at the scale and cringes*.

I have a doctor's appointment on October 13th, which leaves me 5 weeks to get my weight into check a bit so I don't have to suffer through another lecture. The last time I was there, about 2 years ago (oops?) I was about 185. So I don't wanna be 205 this time around.

Structure is (one of) the key to success, so I'm going to give myself some direction (other than HEAL DAT SHOULDAH!) for the upcoming weeks and encourage you all to do the same! It's easy to get lost when you have no destination, y'know?

As a disclaimer, most of my goals are going to be habit-based more than end of the line because I have to rebuild my consistency more than I need to get somewhere. And I have 7 of them because it's September (it baffles me that they made it the 9th month with that name. Aye)

1. Weight below 195. The specifics don't matter. Without water weight and the food baby in my belly I'm probably about 201 now? (Ugh, put on 4 pounds in a week and a half? Hardly makes sense :| So it might be even lower... Gonna officially weigh-in next Saturday and take all measurements there too. Giving myself some time to even out and also, TOM coming up like, today, so... Blooooat)
2. Read out of the Supple Leopard book a bit EVERY DAY, and start applying the principles ASAP.
3. Do NMW (no matter what) sets of push-ups until I can string 20 in a row again. I'm at 8 today, we'll see if I make those.
4. Go on at least 1 long-ish run (2+miles) every week
5. Come up with a gratitude journal template I will actually care about completing every day, and do that.
6. This one might sound silly but... No more binge watching TV shows. Okay, brain? *Nods*
7. 15 minutes of something creative (writing, drawing, music) every day. It might end up being more, i just don't want it to be less.

Obviously, progress on the shoulder front is still at the top of my list, but I really didn't think I needed to define that. It's heavily implied in my every day life. Lol.

So what about you gals?

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Get back on track. This summer has been chaotic and my diet and workouts have suffered.

1. Get consistently below 115 lbs. My last weight in was 115.8, but I think I put on a pound or so. 110 is when I start ramping up to maintenance, so I am looking forward to getting so close.
    2. Squat - no weight target, just keep nailing form. I know the weights will get there.
    3. Bench - 85 lbs. This is aggressive. May not make it, but I will try!
    4. Row - 85
    5. OHP - 60 would be nice. At least start it.
    6. DL - 185 would be wonderful. That is DHs body weight and I always said that is my goal so I know I can get him out of the house if it is on fire and he is unconscious :P
    7. Pull ups - 4 in a row. 5 would be wonderful.

I have no goals on my accessories, so I guess I have 7 too :)
    The month kept its original name from the Roman calendar in which septem means “seven” in Latin marking it as the seventh month.

September was named during a time when the calendar year began with March, which is why its name no longer corresponds with its placement in the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
    From timeanddate.com
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Lifting
    1)DL 210 x 3 on week 1+
    2)OHP 70 x 3 on week 1+
    3)Squat 155 x 2 on week 1+
    4)Bench 100 x 3 on week 1+
    5) Running, just sticking to my planned runs
    Food/Weight
    6)IF 11-7
    7) 2000 kcal a week deficit (not including the first week because long weekend camping binge fiasco). Should get me close to my target range of 138-142 lbs (currently hovering around 143)

Looks like 7 is the lucky number for September.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    hmm good question

1. continue training for 10k, as the run is October 25th
    2. get weight under 140 (am around 142-143 so far)
    3. follow PHUL
    4. catch up in online commitments (review entries and such)
    5. write in YA novel, at least 5 chapters
    6. prepare other novel + query and submit to 3 agents

That should be enough. :smile:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    - consistent 50 for overhead press. actually, i see no freaking reason at all why i can't make it to 55 by month end.

- 85 squats. again, no believable reason why not anymore.

- deadlift: don't care. feel like the deads will take care of themselves.

- bench: 70. i'm being conservative, so that's only another 5 pounds. 75 won't surprise me either.

- rows: meh. but i want them matching my bench, i suppose. 70lb rows is also 5 up from where i am now.

grip work. keep using the springy butterfly clips instead of the ez collars. and do as much of that stuff as possible with my left hand. it's been a month of half-assedly doing that and my forearm strength is already incredible compared with where it was before.

and i'll keep doing mr trainer's negative chins. his plan is to do 3 singles and add one each time, until i'm up to 7x1. then break that into two sets of 3 and start adding again. i think. i might have gotten it wrong after all, now that i look over that.

annnnd, finally: mobility resolutions this month are to stretch my damn pecs, and do the starrett mobility thing for hip joints.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My only goal for this month is to stick with my calories. I have some lifting numbers that I would really like to hit but I am trying to put my deficit above all that. I started losing weight a bit over 2.5 years ago and I need to just get it done.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1. Hit bench 5x5x100lbs
    2. PR deadlift at 115kgs
    3. Continue to work on squat form
    4. get some kind of cardio - gah I'm so bad at this
    5. try and do some form of stretching or yoga at least once a week
    6. I like Krok's gratitude journal, I might incorporate this into my instagram updates at night time
    7. avoid all the 'extra' snacking I'm doing - candy, bit of chocolate here, blob of chocolate there...

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    September Goals
    1.) Squat 115
    Sumo Squat 100
    Bench 85
    OHP 60
    Row 90
    DL 140
    2.) Eat healthy 5 days a week.
    3.) Stay under calorie goal 6/7 days
    4.) Walk 5 miles 3-4 x week
    5.) Lose 5 lbs
    6.) Use strategies to get night eating under control
    7.) Write in my journal daily

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    1) Squat 90 by EOTM (might be too ambitious, might be 85)
    2) Write in my daily mood journal (not workout related)
    3) Stay at my deficit calorie goal for at least 5 days a week
    4) Lose 3 pounds
    5) Do cardio at least once a week, a run or whatever.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just binge watched the first season of homeland on vacation

1. Cancel Netflix (kidding how would my kids watch dinotrux?)
    2. Get more sleep. I have no idea how this will happen. I'm up at 530 daily for work. Something will have to give...but what?
    3. Strength train 3x per week. Two more SC workouts then I start SS.
    4. Form train with trainer once per week
    5. Put together a mobility drill
    6. One LSD run a week and one session of hill sprints
    7. Winterize my bike so I can continue cycling to work
    8. Diet: maintain what I'm doing because I think it's almost as good as it will get
    9. Weight: maintain. Or drop a few. Anything but an increase.
    10. Pull ups: continue weighted training. I will get to 10 BW reps by the end of the year.

That was more than 7.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    7. Winterize my bike so I can continue cycling to work.

yes yes yes yup. real winter is so much easier to deal with if it's just something you ride through every day anyway. i'm going to keep my summer bike for another few months, and then switch to the one that has studs.

• jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1. Do my stronglifts 3x per week no matter what else I have going on.
    2. I've got some job-related studying I need to do and it's sooooo boring that I have been using any excuse to avoid it. I think I'm going to require a minimum of 20 minutes per day. We'll see how quickly that has me progressing. I'd really like to be ready for the final exam by mid-October.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Those are some serious goals ladies!
    I'm with Dennie. Keeping it simple get the weight off. I've decided I don't care what weight I lift right now as long as it is still challenging. I'll work my way back up once my weight gets where I want it.
    So:
    1. Lose weight
    2. Maintain my LBM by lifting and eating accordingly
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Goals:

1.) Get rid of the extra pounds of water weight or whatever the hell slabbed itself upon my body during the past several weeks, grrr. Life can bug off!

2.) Continue to work on, fix and completely improve form on all lifts.
    3.) Up the cardio---I've got Mudder aspirations next month! Didn't do much cardio to prep for my 1st OCR.
    4.) Hills!!! Did I say hills? Yes, I did! Incorporate hills & more running on uneven terrain.
    5.) Continue SL5x5 three days a week.
    6.) Make my 1RM on all lifts eventually become easy sets of 5x5
    a.) Be able to do 5x5x85 OHP/5x5x100 bench/5x5x135 squat /1x5x185 DL)

7.) Clean up my eating & up my water intake!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    The month is almost over. Panic time, I mean.. umm how are things going?

So far I've:

1. gotten to 5.5 miles so far in jog, should get to 6 soon
    2. scale is fluctuating around 139.8 and 141 so pretty close
    3. PHUL is going well so far
    4. done a couple of reviews but still very behind
    5. I finished one chapter, then got distracted by joining a different writing challenge
    6. worked on edit some and my query letter, still might get this done on next 2 days off

Not bad though could be better. That writing. I need to sleep a little less or well, spend less time posting on forums...
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    The month is almost over. Panic time, I mean.. umm how are things going?

:) um, lemme see.

i think ohp is safely locked for a consistent 50, and yes there's still just enough room to make 55 for at least one workout. it's my next increment if all goes well anyway. it won't be my 'consistent' weight though; more just a pr and then i'll have to see where october gets me.

bench also probably safe at 70, although i've re-irritated the shoulder that always bugs me. but i did it at the last trainer workout and don't have any real expectation of NOT making it again at my next 5x5. which is tomorrow, in fact.

squats no. i'm still not consistent in the 65-75lb range yet. but my gosh i have leg muscles these days. deadlifts i decided not to keep track of this month, but they've trended upwards all along, so that's good.

rows are affected by the shoulder flare-up, so they're moot along with the bench. pec stretching definitely got done all month long. hip mobility stuff less so, but i'm still actively looking for/working on solutions for them.

in a non-goal thing that just happened, i seem to have lost a few pounds this month so yay for that too.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1. Cancel Netflix (kidding how would my kids watch dinotrux?)

This did not happen. Instead I watched all three seasons of Homeland

2. Get more sleep. I have no idea how this will happen. I'm up at 530 daily for work.

Epic fail.

3. Strength train 3x per week. Two more SC workouts then I start SS.
    4. Form train with trainer once per week

Done and done

5. Put together a mobility drill

Oh that. I forgot about this but I still have THREE DAYS

6. One LSD run a week and one session of hill sprints

Fail. Did to even try.

7. Winterize my bike so I can continue cycling to work

It's been so dry and nice! Fail.

8. Diet: maintain what I'm doing because I think it's almost as good as it will get

Rockstar accomplishment!

9. Weight: maintain. Or drop a few. Anything but an increase.

I think I might have lost 0.25 of a pound.

10. Pull ups: continue weighted training. I will get to 10 BW reps by the end of the year.

I may have to shorten my arms to make this happen but I'm still working away at it.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1. SL 3x per week - I have actually been doing this! Yaaaay!
    2. Study my terribly boring insurance textbook - This one is a huge nope. Nope, nope, nope not even a little.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Those are some serious goals ladies!
    I'm with Dennie. Keeping it simple get the weight off. I've decided I don't care what weight I lift right now as long as it is still challenging. I'll work my way back up once my weight gets where I want it.
    So:
    1. Lose weight

Have lost 7#'s this month and hopefully counting doing whole30 this month

2. Maintain my LBM by lifting and eating accordingly

Seems to be going fine. Haven't missed a workout and averaging my minimum protein intake for the week. Scale (only used for trending purposes) shows a decrease in BF so gives me some confidence that I didn't just lose muscle

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    Well, last day of the month. Time to post the overall result as not much has changed over the last few days.

1. on 5.5 for long run but will do 6 miles probably next week.
    2. made it to 140 but holding there, need to track on a regular basis for October since wedding is coming up
    3. liking PHUL so far
    4. trying but I still have like 4 rounds to catch up on
    5. I only wrote a total of 2 chapters, if I finish the one today.
    6. need to finish other query attempt but made progress. Next is pick set of agents and submit.

Next up, October!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    1. Weight below 195. The specifics don't matter. Without water weight and the food baby in my belly I'm probably about 201 now? (Ugh, put on 4 pounds in a week and a half? Hardly makes sense :| So it might be even lower... Gonna officially weigh-in next Saturday and take all measurements there too. Giving myself some time to even out and also, TOM coming up like, today, so... Blooooat)
    2. Read out of the Supple Leopard book a bit EVERY DAY, and start applying the principles ASAP.
    3. Do NMW (no matter what) sets of push-ups until I can string 20 in a row again. I'm at 8 today, we'll see if I make those.
    4. Go on at least 1 long-ish run (2+miles) every week
    5. Come up with a gratitude journal template I will actually care about completing every day, and do that.
    6. This one might sound silly but... No more binge watching TV shows. Okay, brain? *Nods*
    7. 15 minutes of something creative (writing, drawing, music) every day. It might end up being more, i just don't want it to be less.

1. Turns out that 201 was more than real and actually on the lower end of the variance. I barely moved, but I moved down, so... yay?
    2. Yeah, I kept that up for like... 3 days. Then I got busy. As usual.
    3. Made it to 15 and decided to take a short break. Gonna hammer at it again starting perhaps next workout. Or tomorrow morning? lol
    4. Eh. Nope. the 5k I thought i was going to run a little in I only jogged for about 5 minutes total, so doesn't even count. But I workout almost 5 days a week, so really, recovery days were, well, recovery. I'll balance it out.
    5. Nope
    6. Been doing okay there. Started POI but only watched like 7 episodes over the whole month.
    7. Same as 2, basically

Well damn...