new to everything

Options
So I am just getting started in my journey to receive weight loss surgery, I go to the required seminar Oct 6th. So I was just wondering if there was any advice anyone could give me and also which procedure you chose and why. Thanks so much!

Replies

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I would purchase food scales if you don't already have a pair and start weighing, measuring, and logging everything you eat. I originally wanted the lap-band but the surgeon recommended the sleeve for me. I had a history of weight loss with regain and he felt the sleeve if used correctly could prevent my regain. The sleeve diet is no different than any other diet, make smart choices and control your portions. The surgery will make sure you do the portion control. Good luck with your journey.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My full spiel is in a post titled "six month ramblings".

Hit the pre surgery time hard. Lose as much as you can and ingrained the post op habits and behaviors as best you can!

Rob
  • amypriddy2000
    amypriddy2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    OK so my question with that is, so I know typically you have to be a certain amount overweight what if before the surgery date I am below that? The reason I ask is, typically I have no issue losing weight it is just after a while I always seem to gain the weight back and I want this weight off for good!!!! I have quite a bit of weight to lose like 150ish, sorry if that sounds naive or impossible, lol
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    For the most part, regaining weight is from allowing bad habits to creep back in. If you can lose pre-surgery, then you should. If you can lose without surgery, you should do it that way. Even with the surgery, the weight won't stay gone if you go back to bad habits. It just won't. There are plenty of people who come back and say, "I had surgery, then after a few years, I regained it." That's because they forgot their good habits.

Get your macros in line. Start cutting the foods you can't have post-surgery, probably never again. Get your mental game going strong. Break the bad habits for good. Learn how to say "no thank you" without feeling self-conscious. Start practicing the good habits now, so they're no longer dieting... they're simply how you eat. Because that's what you have to do, else the surgery will be just another weight loss failure.
  • amypriddy2000
    Options
    Ok.... Thank you! I appreciate it... Unfortunately my two biggest go to foods are sugar(sweet tea) and potatoes, carbs. Any suggestions on how to cut them out successfully? I cut them out and then I always end up going back and soon I have no control. Those are some things I forget "in moderation".... So should I just stay away for good?
  • ki4eld
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'll be honest... I cannot moderate carbs. I've tried, I can't. I can't just eat a bite or two of potatoes. I can't just have a taste of cake. So I cut them entirely. Except for a few veggies, I eat no carbs.

My dietitian will occasionally have me carb cycle (add 10-20g for a single day). I also have to try various foods I don't like or don't want to eat every two weeks per doctor's orders. Of course, the carbs bloat me, but that's a different problem! Carbs spike my blood sugar, which sends me into an insulin dive a couple of hours later. That starts the "starving cycle" and here we go... Eat Eat Eat. So, I just had to cut them entirely and my docs and dietitian agreed. I'm on a ketogenic diet and always will be. I can eat all the bacon and cheese I want, providing it stays within my calorie goal! Now, I do love me some sweet tea. I experimented with a few sweeteners and discovered I like Stevia and Splenda. So I have a glass of sweet tea using one of those.

If you can't moderate it, you should cut it. Seriously, you have to develop the lifelong habits now. If you know carbs are trigger foods, avoid them. My food log is public and you're welcome to look at it. I had RNY in January.
  • amypriddy2000
    Options
    Thank you I appreciate the help, I was worried I was going to have to cut them completely, buttttttttt being healthy is better than anything can taste....
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't have the same hold on me as they did pre-surgery. And, if you go low-carb, the first few days are super hard. But, then it gets real easy (unless you cheat, and you have to get them out of your system again) . Most insurance companies only cover surgery if your BMI is 40 (or 35 and a complication). Also, I recommend the following book to get over the mental part of eating healthy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0848732758/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1441500202&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=beck+think+like+a+thin+person&dpPl=1&dpID=51R7BeY7AOL&ref=plSrch
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in the preop phase now too. After speaking with the NP at the WLS office, the plan she gave me was called Lean & Green - basically it's NO carbs (sweets, breads, potatoes, pasta, rice, beans, corn, onions, carrots, peas, etc). 5-6 oz of lean protein + 1.5 cups of veggies (or more if it's lettuce). I can have that 3 times a day and then 2-3 protein shakes as well. I've found the protein shakes are sweet enough that they satisfy my sweet tooth - and not eating sweets or carbs at all has lead me to a place where I don't really even feel hungry most of the time. I've lost 63 Lbs since June 5 (with this plan and 20-30 min exercise a day). Last night at work I actually passed up CAKE (my previous downfall - or one of them). I know in the old times I would have had a piece while people were there and then likely snuck in a piece when no one was looking and possibly took one home too. Yep - I had to make a decision to not have cake - but once I did, no biggie, just made sure I drank my shake, ate my food and didn't let myself get super hungry. My hubs still eats carbs around me often, but I'm feeling so good right now that I mostly am ok with it (and if not I make him go outside - or I leave the room). It was super hard at first - but easier every day. Good luck! If you decide to go with something like this and you have any questions, feel free to message me!
  • AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Prior to surgery I was a carboholic. It was difficult for me to have the "willpower" like I used to when I lost a lot of weight before surgery. (60 lbs, then gained. Then 90lbs and gained).

Before surgery I contemplated having the bypass over the sleeve because I thought, "well if I have a hard time not eating carbs now, how will I limit them after surgery"? Having a bypass can help reinforce low sugar/carb intake due to dumping syndrome. But after finding out that the sleeve could be converted to bypass I decided on the sleeve. Glad I went w the sleeve. I have no hunger whatsoever. I'm not sure if the bypass has the same effect on hunger since the ghrelin hormone is still there.

I do not have any cravings for carbs. My taste for food has changed. I love fresh, wholesome, real food and I feel better than I ever have before. I keep my carb count under 50grams and have no problem doing so. If the "carb" cravings come back I told myself that I would not deprive myself but whatever I did decide to eat must be a healthy portion size and within a calorie allowance.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Amy - Carbs were my challenge as well...now 10 months post RBYGB I would say embrace the WLS journey and trust it to provide you new tools and a clean break with your past. I basically went cold turkey, but it's easier than it sounds pre-op. After the liquid phase (which is easier post op than pre, so just hang in there), I was so pleased to add in soups, cottage cheese and other mushies, and eventually solids, that I found I didn't miss the carbs. In fact now I find I feel a bit off if I have too many carbs. I'm now satisfied with protien and produce. And I very occasionally have an ice cream cone, or cup of grits, or shot of bourbon, but those things don't generate cravings like they did pre-op. And I'm mindful to not let them creep back in to my psyche.
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I never met a carb I didn't like! My preferences have changed somewhat post op, but I just. can't. stop. IF i start eating them. For myself, limited "white carbs" will be the key to long-term success. I don't like that, but I am coming to accept that.
    Trigger foods will vary from person to person; figure out what they are and learn to manage them.
  • amypriddy2000
    Options
    I never met a carb I didn't like! My preferences have changed somewhat post op, but I just. can't. stop. IF i start eating them. For myself, limited "white carbs" will be the key to long-term success. I don't like that, but I am coming to accept that.
    Trigger foods will vary from person to person; figure out what they are and learn to manage them.

"White carbs"?
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    White bread, potatoes, rice, chips, crackers = white carbs
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Those plus sugar and high fructose corn syrup for me
  • christophertoddchandler
    Options
    Those plus sugar and high fructose corn syrup for me

It is astounding how many products contain high fructose corn syrup.
  • amypriddy2000
    Options
    Oh no, potatoes, say it ain't so...... Lol
  • ki4eld
    Options
    Yep, potatoes are sugar. It's amazing how many labels contain something that ends in "-ose" so that little bit of education, as in which ones can you eat in moderation and which ones should you avoid, is just one of the many things to learn!

@amypriddy2000 I think you're just doing a great job. You're taking all of this info, some of it that sucks, in stride. You keep up the great attitude and you'll do just fine.