Exercise - What's your plan?

Options
Loosing63
Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
I had several attempts at loosing weight over the last 10 years. Some popular workout routines ripped my rotator cuff, threw my back out and triggered months or even a year of getting back to the normal range of motion. My most successful weight loss of 35 lbs came with Weight Watchers Online and working out in the gym with a friend. My friend also lost about 30 lbs but wasn't satisfied with loosing "only" 2 lbs a week. She started to workout with Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper (both from Biggest Loser) DVDs. Well, all that jumping and the burpees blew her knee out. She had two operations already. I do not like to go to the gym by myself and I quit Weight Watcher. That was 4 years ago and off course all the weight I lost came back.
This time around I found MyFitnessPal, which is essentially giving me the same tools as Weight Watchers for free! Yay!. I am logging my food daily and my goal is to exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I found that walking on the treadmill and DVD's from Leslie Sansone (Walk at home) work best for me.
I was surprised that Leslie Sansone still makes new DVD's. I bought one at Target that has 10 mini walks which can be combined any way you want to. Every walk is 10 minutes. There is an easy warm-up walk and a really nice and easy cool-down/stretching walk at the end. For absolute beginners you could do even just one of these.
I started 18 days ago and I am now exercising 5 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I don't injure myself and my back actually hurts less because of the stretching exercises.
I know it is no P90X, but being 45-50 lbs overweight and over 50 years old, I know this is what I can do safely. What is your exercise plan?

Replies

• SilviaFDK
    SilviaFDK Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have also been on Weight Watchers and was successful once, but the weight always comes back. Now my son who is really into health is guiding me to eat healthy meals and to avoid foods that are bad for me. Exercise wise, I walk another one of my son's dog almost every morning for 45 minutes. I have a treadmill that I use on bad weather days. I watch shows that I have PVRed- a one hour show minus the commercials is exaclty 45 minutes :) You sound like you have finally found your niche- I'm glad! Silvia
  • honeynutloop
    honeynutloop Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I walk my dogs and try my best to walk to work (although sometimes the car is too tempting, especially if the weather's bad).
    Otherwise the rest of my exercise is done at home - fitnessblender and yoga with adriene on youtube as well as darebee exercise sheets. I'm part of a challenge group on here (it's about to end :'( ) which really helps to motivate myself and also pushes me to try new things (I'd never have done yoga before and now its a regular).
    The best advice that I've heard is to find something that works for you as you're more likely to stick with it. Walking to work takes 20mins, the car takes 10 so walking fits easily into my day. I'm a bit self conscious and also lazy so exercise at home is great - no one else around and no travel/changing rooms to negotiate.
  • Loosing63
    Options
    Sounds like you are having a nice variety. New things can go both ways, but it's awesome when you find a new favorite! Yoga is great for flexibility. What kind of challenges was your group all about?
  • honeynutloop
    Options
    All sorts of stuff really. Each week had target minutes for cardio, strength and flexibility exercises (hence starting yoga) plus other challenges such as walk/run 15 miles or eat a rainbow of colours. Hopefully they'll be doing another one soon.
  • Loosing63
    Options
    I love that the challenges also included healthy eating. Great idea.
  • honeynutloop
    Options
    All sorts of stuff really. Each week had target minutes for cardio, strength and flexibility exercises (hence starting yoga) plus other challenges such as walk/run 15 miles or eat a rainbow of colours. Hopefully they'll be doing another one soon.

There might be a new game of thrones challenge starting on 11th october. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll pass it on to the group organisers.