Milk supply and calories...

Options
Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if any of you breastfeeding mamas noticed a drop in milk supply if you don't take in enough calories. I eat A LOT every day... most days I'm maintaining at 2,3000 / 2,500 calories. I feel like my milk supply is dropping a bit and I know this could be due to many factors (the baby's appetite changing, pumping at work, etc.,).

For those of you who are breastfeeding, do you mind sharing your caloric intake and whether or not this has impacted your milk supply?

Thank you so much!

Replies

• amarie210
    amarie210 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1800-2100 calories/day. I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 17 pound 4 month old. She seems satisfied so I think my supply is good. I'm 5'6"
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    amarie210 wrote: »
    I eat between 1800-2100 calories/day. I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 17 pound 4 month old. She seems satisfied so I think my supply is good. I'm 5'6"

Thanks for the response! I'm 5'2/3" and eat about 2,500 at 102 pounds and I don't feel like it's enough for my supply anymore. Really annoying
  • kimby810
    kimby810 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with this. I know you shouldn't feel like you have an extra calorie "buffer" because you're nursing, but 1800 calories (my daily goal) sends me to bed starving. Everyday.
  • amarie210
    amarie210 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    kimby810 wrote: »
    I always struggle with this. I know you shouldn't feel like you have an extra calorie "buffer" because you're nursing, but 1800 calories (my daily goal) sends me to bed starving. Everyday.

Are you exercising? Days I actually exercise, I eat more. And I try to add protein to every meal and snack. Cheese, PB, yogurt, beans, deli meat. There are days I'm starving all day and those days I eat more.
  • WildePillar
    Options
    amarie210 wrote: »

Are you exercising? Days I actually exercise, I eat more. And I try to add protein to every meal and snack. Cheese, PB, yogurt, beans, deli meat. There are days I'm starving all day and those days I eat more.

I do exercise every day, and I walk an incredible amount (not always by choice, I live in NYC and have to walk everywhere). It just seems crazy because I DO eat a lot every day, whether I'm exercising or not. Ugh. My seven month old actually lost weight this month and it is so upsetting to me.

• WildePillar
    Options

I could NEVER eat that little (1800 would make me ravenous, and I wouldn't be able to sleep)... I'm with you on that!