Wedding planning

Options
CostaRica120
CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
Hi fellow brides-to-be! I thought it might be fun to use this space to also chat about non-weightloss related wedding planning things!
How are you all doing with your wedding plans and what are you currently stressing over? Any fun wedding details to share?

I'm getting married on New Year's Eve, so I still have time, but I am totally stressing over finding a photographer! I also still need to find bridesmaid dresses and someone to do hair/makeup.
Other than that I think we have all our vendors booked.
A lot of DIY projects left to tackle too!

Replies

• brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear from others. I'm very early (looking at late July 2016 for wedding) so trying to figure out venues for reception (and need to make arrangements with church). I'm in Hudson Valley in New York (just a bit north of NYC) so budget is a major consideration.

Would love ideas for bridesmaids gifts. What kind of stuff are folks doing DIY (if anything) vs. what you're leaving to professionals?
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    I'm in Toronto so things are super expensive, too. I saw online people having glamorous weddings for 150 guests for like 15K in, like, Missouri...yeah, that's not gonna happen here. Right now it looks like we're right on track to stick to our budget and mostly it's been because I spent A LOT of time shopping around and negotiating (and compromising). I feel like I haven't had to give up too much of my dream by getting the best possible prices. It has definitely been time consuming though. I was really excited that we went from planning to do all the decor ourselves (because of budget) to finding a great decorator. I'm even getting my gold beaded glass chargers and sequin table cloth for the sweetheart table, which are a bit of a rental splurge. We're dealing with the NYE element which really ups some of the labour costs (double time and a half after midnight...ack!). I'm going to let the pros (decorator and florist) do most of the stuff, but I found my candle holders, fake candles for the aisle, and vases and some other decor items on my own since I was able to find things under the rental costs...and then I can re-sell.
    My only major decor DIY will be something like this to go above our sweetheart table:dp7l36ehxesf.jpg

We're going to be making our own programs, menus, seating chart, table numbers, etc. So many free and cheap templates online.

We're also doing our own desserts...not because of cost, but mostly because we want to (our friends and family are going to bake for a major treat table and another friend is making a small cake to cut and matching cupcakes).

And I used paperlesspost.com for my save the dates, which sent electronic cards and was cheap, that everyone thought was great. I think I may order my invitations there, too, but haven't gotten to that yet.
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    Oh and for bridesmaids gifts I'm planning on just gifting the jewelry to wear that night. I think it's pretty standard and makes sense.
    My groom is planning to give his groomsmen monogrammed tie clips (if we go with ties vs bow ties). Not sure what else.
  • gthing1978
    gthing1978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My wedding is a second wedding. Any one else on their second? I am enjoying this process a lot more than the 1st time around (I was 21 and just wanted to get it over with). This time the focus is going to be on being with all of the people who are important to us and having a good time with good food. We expect about 110 but are having a brunch wedding. At first we were going to go all fancy in a venue that is a castle on a hill in the country. But they were being very fickle about the food we could have. I was getting very frustrated and discouraged. My fiancee and I were discussing my frustration whilst (no I do not really talk like that but it just kinda sounds good, lol)… any ways, we were discussing my whoas whist dining in our favorite restaurant. I just kind of jokingly said; "I wish we could just have it here"… and he made me see it as a real possibility.

The restaurant is in our "Old Town" which is a cute town center with an old timey feel. The actual building is all brick inside with really tall (like 75-100 feet) exposed beam ceilings. It is a Mexican restaurant but there is not one scrap of Mexican decor. There will be 2 long rows of tables with white table cloths adorned with burlap runners, primarily white flowers with French lavender pops. We are both scholars and have a vast collection of books which will be used in the center pieces tied with twine. There will be mason jars with Baby's Breath and white candles along with fresh logs cut into thin circles of differing sizes used to elevate parts of the table scape.

When our guests arrive they will help themselves to our hot cocoa bar and they will choose a seat. They will mingle and enjoy some breakfast quesadillas along with freshly made chocolate chip cookies and chips and salsa while the rest of the guests arrive. At 9:30 we will begin our ceremony which is going to be a very nontraditional joining of our families consisting of our kids and then we will exchange our hand written vows at the head of the room under this cute little frame and drape that my step dad is making.

After the ceremony, breakfast will be served and will consist of fresh fruit, the best homemade tortillas on the planet, fried potatoes, beans, and our favorite dish chilequilles. There will be a candy buffet. Our cake is going to be 3 tier with the top being the only part that is actually cake, the rest will be donuts and flowers for decoration. My cousin is a photographer and will be providing his services along with making a video.

It will be short and sweet… the only form of entertainment will be music playing in the background. On our wedding website we are having all of the guests write their favorite love song and we are going to compile them all to play during the wedding.

The only detail I do not have nailed down yet is my dress. At first I wanted a traditional wedding dress but then I went shopping for one and felt foolish trying them on. Now I know I want a nice dress that is deep purple that I can wear again (like on formal nights on cruises, we are avid cruisers). But, I have not found one yet. I think the dark purples don't make their appearance in the fashion world until Fall.
  • gthing1978
    edited July 2015
    Options
    9l0o0tzfoa53.jpg
    Oh, sorry that was so long :blush: I got carried away. I have been so busy moving and then with recovering from my surgery that writing it all out helped to get me back into wedding mode! Thanks for letting me ramble.
  • brisingr86
    Options
    Rachel, your plans sound super fun! I think it's great that you found all those little things that you can bring in that tie to you and your fiance's interests. I think the hardest part for me is that I don't feel like either I or my fiance have a clear vision of what we want our reception to be. I want the fairly traditional ceremony at church, but don't really know what I want for the reception. There's some pressure to do a hotel reception just because there will be a lot of people coming from out of town and that way there are less worries about people getting home (or needing to have cars/cabs). Hopefully, I'll have that moment where I really get that "wish it was here" and find the way to make it happen.
  • brisingr86
    Options
    CostaRica: Thanks for lots of good ideas for DIY projects.
  • gthing1978
    Options
    Sarah, just ask yourself… "what is MOST important to me?" Is it color, over all feel, food, decor, flowers, entertainment? Pick one and create a kick *kitten* plan for that then just build around it. I think so many brides try to focus on too much and they end up a) spending way to much trying to make everything perfect, b) not entirely happy with any one thing, and/or c) so stressed out that they don't get to enjoy their special day. All of those things were def true for me the 1st time around!
  • brisingr86
    Options
    Thanks Rachel. I think I'm definitely in a c phase so far. :/
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    Rachel, your wedding sounds like it's going to be amazing! I really wanted to have a brunch wedding, but my fiance wasn't super into the idea. I love that it can be more casual and you can save money on booze, less emphasis on dancing/partying if you want, and more emphasis on delicious food (who doesn't love brunch??).
  • gthing1978
    Options
    Awe Sarah :( At least you have some time, right? How many guests are you thinking you will have?
  • gthing1978
    Options
    Jill, I know right? Brunch rocks! Your wedding sounds like it is going to be quite an event!!! That pic you posted looks like my venue. I love the treat table idea, yummy yummy yummy!
  • gthing1978
    Options
    One of the reasons I have not been on much is because I have been very busy taking care of wedding and engagement party planning/prep. Now that the engagement party is done, I can put all of my focus on the wedding/honeymoon. Here is what I have accomplished in the past couple weeks: bought dress/shoes, secured make up artist and hair stylist, got rings, got his suit, paid off honeymoon and have most of it set up (flights, hotels, transfers, cruise tickets, 1/2 of activities). Now I am tackling the invites.

What all have you ladies been ticking off your to-do lists?
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Deposit paid, food tasted, string duo listened to, need to book flights..............
  • gthing1978
    Options
    Where are you going? Not sold on the sting duo?
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    I have all my vendors, except I still haven't settled on my hair/makeup. Narrowed down options, so just need to finalize. I ordered my invitations last week and bought some supplies for a few of the DIY projects.
    Major things on the to-do list are:
    - find shoes and accessories
    - order bridesmaids dresses
    - book hotel
    - book transportation
    - find venue for photos and get permit if necessary
    - book honeymoon
    - and a bunch more...but that's priority for the next couple weeks.
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    gthing1978 wrote: »
    One of the reasons I have not been on much is because I have been very busy taking care of wedding and engagement party planning/prep. Now that the engagement party is done, I can put all of my focus on the wedding/honeymoon. Here is what I have accomplished in the past couple weeks: bought dress/shoes, secured make up artist and hair stylist, got rings, got his suit, paid off honeymoon and have most of it set up (flights, hotels, transfers, cruise tickets, 1/2 of activities). Now I am tackling the invites.

What all have you ladies been ticking off your to-do lists?

Great work! Where are you honeymooning?

• CostaRica120
    Options
    Oh and I settled on my favours...custom fortune cookies! I think it's super cute for NYE and quite inexpensive. I'm going to have them dipped in white chocolate and covered in white sprinkles. One per guest in a little celophane package with a sticker or tag. We get to select (or create) around 15 fortunes and then on the back we're going to have our names and wedding date.
  • gthing1978
    Options
    Fortune cookies sound perfect and yummy too :smiley:

I'm going to Hawaii... 5 days on Oahu and a 7 night cruise.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Fortune cookies sounds good, and Hawaii! Our wedding is in Italy, we've hired a villa and are staying for the week with some guests camping, the string duo are ace so booked them. The venue is taking care of all food and wine and flowers and setting up wedding tables, reception and wedding. Need to book flights, some guests already have :open_mouth: buy clothing, decide on favours, design a cake and a vegan cake (for vegan and allergic guests), have to do my own hair and make up I think, so will need to learn how to do that! Oh yes, rings, hmm, even a relaxed wedding seems to have lots of parts, and now the best man is pestering me for numbers and stag/hen party venues! He's too organised for a man, guess that's why he's best.....