I've been on vacation

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
I ate low carb every day and stayed in ketosis. Today, I just couldn't do it. I'm not sure why I fell apart, I think it had to do with the thought of eating one more hamburger with no bun and no ketchup. I just couldn't face it.

I was prepared when we left the house. I had low carb snacks. On the way home it just seemed impossible. Does anyone have any tricks on how to handle vacation LCHF boredom?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of burgers? I would get bored eating the same thing all the time too.
    Try steak or pork or chicken salad or fish...
    It's vacation, so it's not uncommon to loosen up a little if you feel the need. I personally seem to get upset stomach whenever I try to allow more carbs so I wouldn't do it for fear of ruining a vacation day, but if you can handle it, allow just a little more. Maybe just a small dollop of ketchup? I would still stay clear of bread pasta and a bunch of sugar even if it didn't give me the belly gurgles the whole next day, but maybe some small amounts of sauces or something could help?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I heard someone recently say "the key to failure is to make everything optional".

Serious I agree with Sunny. If I was doing LCHF for weight loss I am afraid I would make some types of carbs "Optional". :)
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you bored with?

Eating the same food?
    Wanting to be able to eat the same as other people?
    Do you feel like you would like to eat "holiday food"?

Variety is the spice of life. I would get bored with hamburger too. I agree with Sunny - try some bbq chicken, ribs, wings, fish, prawns, shellfish, steak, salami, bacon, ham, sausages, eggs, nuts, cheeses (soft and hard). I personally would opt to add a little bit of sauce here and there to spice things up and add variety while on vacation. Try some chilli or curry. Don't forget mayo and avocado. Mayo with a little curry powder or tabasco stirred in makes a nice sauce and a great dip for prawns.

Either way, vacations are for fun and relaxing. Don't stress over the food too much and enjoy yourself.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mayo mixed with ketchup and mustard in a 3:1:2 ratio is an excellent sauce for burgers!

But, you can get breakfast 24/7 at most truck stop type diners, and the other suggestions above are great.

I love a good taco salad (without the shell) or fajitas (minus rice/beans/tortillas), etc. The options are only limited if you see it that way.

There are also tons of ways to mix up a burger. get extra burger veggies, cut it all up and eat it like a salad. Use salad dressings. Add bacon. Add a fried egg. Don't be afraid to try it a way you wouldn't have before. You can eat almost any type of meat. Smother it in mayo/butter/sour cream/cheese...

No need to limit yourself!