My hair is curling!

Options
bametels
bametels Posts: 950 Member
For the past six months or so my poker straight hair has become increasingly curly and is getting frizzy. It's quite strange. I've recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I'm wondering if the hypothyroidism is causing this. Has this happened to anyone else's hair?

Replies

• LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    An interesting phenomena but, I have no idea if it is due to hypothyroidism or not.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Mine went the other way. Lived with curls, waves and the lot. As my health declined so did the hair.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My hair has always been super curly and frizzy. The only thing that changed for me is that it thinned out a lot and no longer grows. I cut a couple inches off 2yrs ago and it still hasn't grown back.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've always had curly hair so no difference here!

For those having trouble with hair growth...try scalp massages or ditching the shampoo and cowashing.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    Please what is cowashing?
  • bametels
    Options
    I don't know what is going on. The same guy has been cutting my hair for more than 10 years and he's stymied too. I am getting more gray, which he says can have a different texture. But he, nor I, have seen something like this. It may be a coincidence that it's happening as my thyroid is failing but the timing seems suspicious. I'm hoping that if it's thyroid related that the thyroid medication I've been given will straighten it out. I don't know how to deal with these waves and curls. :-)
  • Dietcise
    Dietcise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't grow and it's still falling out some too...really strange I know!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hormones are known regulators, so have direct impact on follicle texture. It may be coincidental, but if there's a shift in your hormones this could cause curling.

On the bright side curling is usually a good indicator of health. Many chemo patients report their hair straitening during therapy, but once complete curling returning is a healthy indicator.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When I finally got my thyroid on the right dose. I got my curls back. It is hormone related though
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    As far as I know being hypothyroid can manifest by your hair getting dry and coarse.
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know about curls, but I know that I am certainly glad that I caught my thyroid issues early - my mom also is hypothyroid (undertreated, I suspect) and her hair has thinned out, whereas mine is just about as thick as it ever was (a mixed blessing of sorts).
  • bametels
    Options
    Thanks to all for your responses. Allergictodiets my hair is dryer and more coarse so perhaps that explains part of the mystery.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Hormones have a BIG effect on hair. You aren't pregnant, are you?

When my pituitary failed, my naturally very curly hair went nearly straight. I went from tight corkscrew curls to having just a bit of a wave. My hair also stopped growing completely. Once I got a diagnosis and treatment, the curl came back...with a vengeance.

I know that thyroid issues make hair dryer and thinner. It seems like if it has any effect on curl, it would be the opposite of what you are experiencing.

You are smart to pay attention to stuff like this...it could be the first sign that you *might* have something more complicated going on. It's worth mentioning to your endocrinologist.

Curly or straight, coconut oil can really improve hair texture. It's good for frizz elimination.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Mine was super straight but turned wave when I started having children which was when I started being hypo. I'm not sure which caused it.
  • bametels
    Options
    Definitely not pregnant - way to old for that. :-) The cutie in my current profile pic is one of my five grandchildren! I'll have to mention it to my doctor when I see her next.
  • KaKay204
    KaKay204 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine is a fuzzy curly mess. I have hypo too
  • sylviekparris
    sylviekparris Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Believe it or not, it could simply be part of the aging process. It could be something to do with our estrogen levels. I used to be a hairdresser, and I had more than one client who had the same thing happen when they hit menopause. Mine has always had a bit of end curl, but after I hit 40, it started getting curlier all throughout, now i have wanna be ringlets, and loads of frizz.
  • bametels
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your professional knowledge, Sylvie. My hair stylist and I have pretty much come to the same conclusion. And, a funny coincidence, his last name is Parris.
  • bametels
    Options
    Wanted to provide a curling hair update. Perhaps I am unusual but with proper thyroid treatment my hair has turned back to its normal straight self. The difference is pretty dramatic! My hair stylist has been amazed.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I'm pleased for you. I hope you are feeling as good on the inside too. It is wonderful to start feeling human again. Ones hair is one of the first places to show when ones health is off, at least in my family.