Under the desk pedal machine

I got a new job that requires me to sit 3/4 of the day. I want to be active but really cant leave my desk that much. I've been reading about under the desk pedal machines. Do you have an opinion or thoughts on these?

Replies

• BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Not sure looking at some I wonder how you could set it to enough tension to make a big difference.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    I've seen one at Aldi. Been considering it. I can get up, but I could work legs some more is my thought.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    I asked my chiropractor about it (I had an appt today). She said it would burn extra calories but, women especially need weight-bearing exercise so standing up is preferable to sitting down, even on a stationary bike. Also she thinks it would be difficult to multitask and keep pedaling at any speed while doing work. But it's better than nothing if you don't have any other option for sitting all day.
  • mnova4140
    mnova4140 Posts: 2 Member
    Would your place of employment allow you to use a large exercise ball to sit on instead of a chair? Sitting on the ball requires balance and more core muscles are used thereby burning more calories than sitting comfortably in a chair. Just a thought.
  • duchess52
    duchess52 Posts: 11 Member
    Good idea. I work at home 4 days a week and I have an exercise ball. I will have to try it.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Some employers allow for standing cubes. Mine does but they only have the ability to raise the desktop permanently at my location so you really have to commit to it because you can't adjust it down without power tools :) It takes a while before most people can stand for a full shift if they keep practical shoes on their feet. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of having a standing cube. It is now the rare day that I sit at all at work at all and I can tell the difference in my core by doing it. No matter which way you go, exercise ball or standing cube you should get benefits by getting out of the chair.

Never been a big fan of stationary bikes (they just don't feel the same as riding a real bike, lacks need for balance). It is odd that cycling (road, mountain, etc) is considered weight bearing but stationary bike is not.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    I haven't seen it before but my job has the option of a standing desk. I mostly stand up a bit while I am sitting down and do some stretches and move a bit.
  • I like all these options. Unfortunately I don't have the option for a stand up desk :( !
  • SharoninBeaufort
    SharoninBeaufort Posts: 27 Member
    I bought a DeskCycle last fall and it has really good adjustable tension, is quiet, nice read out BUT I just couldn't concentrate and pedal at the same time (I am a writer) so it became a $150 footrest for a few months and is now residing in the garage ready to be taken to the donation bin. It might work for someone who does something like talk on the phone for a living - I could use it during meetings fine but (thankfully) have few of these. I would love a treadmill desk but my home office (I work from home) just doesn't have room for it and my regular desk. I have resorted to just setting my Apple watch to tell me to get up every hour and move around.
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    My husband has a friend who was playing a video game all day and decided to use a pedal thing like this while he was playing. He said he made it something like 60 miles in a day while playing all day, when on other days he's only made it a fraction of that distance. And then he wasn't sore the next day. And I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like he didn't actually get that much of a workout from the thing...
  • emeraldprincess71
    emeraldprincess71 Posts: 20 Member
    I have a mini eliptical under my desk and I do use it off and on throughout the day. It gets my heart pumping and gives a "glow". I don't see it as a huge calorie burn. 56 calories in 15 minutes from the calculator I have found. However it is worth it to keep me moving during the day.