Chatr and Accountability Sep 6- 12

Options
Hmrjmr1
Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
Happy Sunday Folks Hope all is well with all of you. Was pretty beat up yesterday after the walk, inflammation was rampant. Thought the fast would have helped prevent it but no joy there. So broke my fast afte 22 hrs with a can of SPAM microwaved and 3 slices of cheddar cheese, and a diet coke (what the hell caution to the wind). James was pretty wore out as well so we went to bed early. Sleep was no deep woke up a few times but each time the inflammation was receding and less pain. So by 0800 this morning got up for good and a little bit later did my morning 150. By the fifth rep or so things felt pretty good. So Mowed the Lawn and Got my Shot put practice in before the T storms rolled in. Yesterdays effort's did reflect in my Shot Put throws as my best throw today was 21' 7" about 3' less than my best last week. Still it's a good sign that I'm still able to launch it at all.

Amy - Congrat's and WTG come and join us at the Vegas Tough Mudder! We'll have a load of fun!

Carol - Great job on the X training workout. U B Jamin'! Very Cool project. When I was in Grade school we got to visit a dig where they found Mastodon Bones near Aurora Il Was a big deal back then.

Kris - Train hard but train fun! Have a great day!

Replies

• Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Labor Day.
  • ActiveAmyLynn
    ActiveAmyLynn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Right back atcha HJ! What's your morning 150?
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Amy 5 sets of 10 reps of Body Weight Rows/ or push ups on my rings, and 4 sets of 25 Body weight squats. Focused on strength improvements for the Shot Put and for the tough mudder as well.
  • Hmrjmr1
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Enters the empty room, gathers up the cups off the table, washes em out and puts em in the drying rack, wipes the crumbs off the counter, stops at the door, looks back, smiles and turns off the lights.
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    Hey everybody. Sorry I dropped off for a bit. I'm still struggling with what I need to do and of course sitting back and doing nothing isn't helping. So I decided to pop back in and start to get myself heading in the right direction.
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    LOL John! Love the commentary. Long weekend and lots of activity's. Didn't fall clear off the wagon but was not good either. No exercise not eating right but back at it today. I had a gain last week and now probably well hopefully maintain this week. It's a constant battle but worth the fight!
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Amy, One day I will get the nerve up. Heck, the fact that I am doing this social media thing (although I do it for work) is a huge leap for me. Baby steps...baby steps... :smile:

John, Kicking butt and takin' names! GO John!

Howie, You were not alone this weekend. Keep fightin'! I am with ya.

Jen, WOOHOO girl. Glad so see ya in these parts. We just gotta keep aiming ourselves in the right direction and MOVING towards it. I want to see some GoPro walking vids :smiley:

Me, I worked out, trashed me knee, ate crap and am back at it. Enjoying trying to tackle this personal development thing, figuring out the strategies. OH, forgot...the big news... With a heavy heart, I am going back to eating beef. I am sad, but I am having major health issues and I want to try it again to see if it helps. Came home Friday night and while washing up at the kitchen sink, I exclaim to the boyfriend, "I REALLY WANT a burger! I have been craving it for weeks." I thought he would give me heck, but instead he says, "Me too!" Apparently he has been thinking a lot about it lately and was afraid to say something to me. haha He even saved some articles on paleo. (I had been secretly reading) Anyways, we talked for a long time. He doesn't feel good physically. I have issues hitting me big time. We are giving it a go, but I said we have to attempt to lose the carbs and soy for a bit. I think with my allergies, digestive stuff, hormones... they are not the best for me at this time. We are hitting the Amish farm for beef and the dairy farm (I am still trying to cut out cheese). We will only do it if we go grass-fed and clean. Never thought I would say this, but I am now following that Abel James fellow. Was kind of cool to hear his story about having been vegetarian. Also signed up with some other blogs. I don't expect to be as into it as all of you with the fat bombs and carb nights or wearing "I Love Bacon" t-shirts!
  • kris3b
    Options
    Quick check in since today is going to be a long work day. Managed a 40-minute walk this morning. Fingers crossed I get in a ST session tonight.

Have a great day all!
  • leopardprintaholic
    Options
    Hi All! So good to see our beloved Kris & Jen back! The love, support & dedication of this group always propells me. <3 I continue to move the moneymaker through the alphabet with each workout: D was Damn Yankees (friend's suggestion), E: The Eurythmics, F: Foreigner, G: The Go-Go's. Today is tough, H? Any ideas? Leaning toward Huey Lewis and The News. Better scoot! Let's stay focused, encouraged & FUN. Xoxo
    Options
    Oh boy, I have to do GoPro videos again? Jeez Kris!! Didn't you see enough of them in January? :tongue:
  • howie6267
    Options
    Kris hope you figure out what works for you. Deb Sue I love Huey Lewis and The News, he is my favorite from the 80s.
  • leopardprintaholic
    Options
    Howie, I can ALWAYS count on you to support my 'addiction to the 80's'! Lol :) Thanks Brother!
    Options
    Howie, I can ALWAYS count on you to support my 'addiction to the 80's'! Lol :) Thanks Brother!

Working your way through the alphabet, eh? Now that's cool. H - let's see. Heart, Herbie Hancock (Rockit), Hall & Oates, Human League. is that enough? Pure 80s awesomeness there for ya DebSue! :smiley:
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Amy, I don't know if I've said welcome to the group by anyways, welcome!!

John, you are such a trooper! Hope that you'd remember to rest.

Carol, it's nice to hear your new workouts! WTG!

Kris go for it! Get up the nerves! I mean what's the worse that could happen? Don't expect anything and you'll have fun. Sometimes I wish we are think like children. They just do thing things without feeling self conscious lol.
    It takes a while to figure what's good for your body especially with us women. Have you tried grass fed cheese or cheese from New Zealand, Australian, Germany? By the way Abel James is not a vegetarian, he totally eats meats. I recommend you watch the YouTube/podcast with him and his guest Dr. Sara Gottfried. I think her story will resonate will with you. I checked her book out from the library and it helped Arturo with his weight and although my weight hasn't change I am fitting into my smaller clothes that I couldn't even zip up in January.
    A big takeaway that I learn is that I need to really know what my reactions are to foods/macro. A HRM is a good tool to let you know which food you are sensitive too. We've also started using a glucometer, very interesting to see what raises you blood sugar and what doesn't. We are playing around with Macros right now to find what is the optimal to not raise our blood sugar. I haven't had any sugar or grain for a little over a month. I don't feel any better just experimenting with things. Our goal is to get back on Carb nite to see if that will shake things up. But for now I am enjoying my IF and eating under 50g net carbs. Eating bean and lentils that I sprouted and yogurt that I made from raw cream and A2 casein cow. So yummy!
  • howie6267
    Options
    Anytime! I love 80's music, it takes me back to the days. :smile:
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Amy, I love that you do a regular obstacle course. I wish I had one to do around here.

Heron - how exciting that your clothes are fitting better. Who the heck cares what the scale says!!

Kris - keep up the awesomeness. You and Jen have been missed so it is great to see regular updates from you guys!!

Howie - Good for you, I wish I could say I didn't do too badly over Labor Day. I agree... constant struggle but totally worth it.

John -

I have actually done a few crossfit (MODIFIED) workouts and I am SO sore! Even modified body weight squats left me so dang sore. It has been 2 days and I am still so sore. I have done body weight squats before but it is very different with a medicine ball under your butt and making sure you tap that ball with each squat. I am still walking like I'm wearing leg braces under my skirt.
    John - the class did 200 (in sets of 25) but I could only knock out about 150. Soooo hard!! Your morning routine is inspiring.

Carol

• kris3b
    Options
    Jen, I expect it and you need to start before there is snow and ice on the ground for you to slip on. Yes, I remember your fall!

Howie, You are enabling DebSue's addiction to 80s madness. I lived it and it scares me going back there! haha

DebSue, You totally took me WAY back to a very cool, country lady named KT Oslin. She had a song called "80s Ladies." but I loved "Hold Me" and "I'll Always Come Back" ahhhh, memories of my Texas days. Back then it was all Mr. Strait, The Forester Sisters, and The Judds. Darn TX turned me to country and eventually having a "y'all" and "fixin'" slip out. I just went way off track :) All this 80s talk, we need to post photos from our youth. Yikes!

Carol, Thanks hun. It is great to be back. I really appreciate "y'all" accepting my ebb and flow. LOL on the braces comment. Sounds like someone was workin' a waddle. haha WTG!!!

Heron, WOOHOO on your success. I have a buddy who was really into IF. Funny, because you have always reminded me of her. Thanks so much for the comments and support. I was watching one of Abel's videos and he was talking about the beginning of his journey. Think it may have been in his teens or early 20s when he was all about low fat, and was vegetarian. Then he changed his ways! I really do enjoy hearing him speak. Easy to absorb. I just flagged your recommendation. I will watch it tonight. The cheese thing is tough for me. I end up doubled over when I eat it and spend far too much time ridding myself of it, if ya know what I mean. Sorry for the TMI, but it is wicked. I LOVE cheese. I will try some of those you speak of. Right now it seems that havarti is about the only one that does not cause too much discomfort and cottage cheese.
    You have such an amazing handle on all of this and I love the personal insights you have. Learning from you! You mention the food sensitivity. I think it is key. Tricky to find the things that are causing inflammation, especially when I am not having hives or a major allergic response. I do no many of my allergies due to numerous allergy tests. The pernicious anemia is top on the list to address. I now have to go in to have injections because even with the mega supplements I was taking, it continues to decrease and I was already below the bottom line. I bring that up because I am hoping that some of my digestive issues will clear up with a diet change and help me absorb the vitamin B-12. Doc says I lack "intrinsic factor," but you never know, I just might fix it.

Cheers all. Off to hit the weights!
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Kris thanks for the kind words. Awe shucks. I don't think I have a handle on things, I'm just like you, learning. And this is why I love this community we learn together. Hugs!
    I agree Abel James is easy to listen and he's easy on the eyes as well hehe.
    Try the HRM before you eat the sensitive food, measure your heart rate then wait 10min and see what your HR is. If the difference is over 10BPM you have a reaction to said food/ingredient. It's because sensitivities cause mild stress to your body and thus raising heart rate. And don't worry about TMI it's a normal function/reaction. As for the cheese try eating soluble and insoluble fiber 30min before cheese. And like I mention before try different cheese. Goat and milk cheese as well. Pick cheese with the highest fat content. Less milk lower the risk of reaction. That's why I think you do fine with Harvati because it's one of those higher fat cheese.
    Unfortunately in Mainly US and Northern Europe cows have been selected for high milk output due to a genetic mutation, whereas in other parts of Europe, UK, NZ and Australia milk with high fat content is always prized and preferred. The mutation that gives high milk output produce A1 beta Casein which can cause some digestive issues. Take me for example I can't tolerate cow dairy but goat and sheep is fine. Doctors told me that I was lactose intolerant and some even said I might have dairy allergy. But I'm fine with grass fed and A2 cow product. By the way all sheep and goat is A2. Here's a link that summarizes it very nicely without being too "sciency" http://www.snowvillecreamery.com/a1-and-a2-beta-casein-in-cow-milk.html

Yeah the thing with supplement is who knows how many % is bio available to you based on your how healthy your gut is. I recommend making your own multivitamin herbal tincture which has a high absorption rate. Also make your own fermented food (super easy). Sauerkraut, kimchi yogurt, kiefer etc you'll feel the difference in your gut in a week. Make a list of anti inflammatory food and spices and base your food choices on those on the list. This is what I've learned over the years from having SERIOUS GI issues. I still have flare ups here and there when I get complacent :p and hives sucks! I used to get those and sometimes people had to ask if I'm ok since I'm look like a red patchy mess LOL. The worse is when my reaction is hives AND itchiness. Good luck! Have fun working out and keep us updated!
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh in and say that I am an Abel James fan also. He is such a sweet guy too. You gals need to come to Paleo Fx. Abel is an Austin boy and we can all go to Austin and learn from him first hand.
    ;)
    Options
    Hey Kris, I didn't fall!!!! :tongue:

DebSue, I guess today is 'I' day. Not many I can think of. Hmmm, INXS & Billy Idol. That's about it.

Oh and CAROL!!!!!! Sorry, didn't mean to yell. Hehehe...