Coffee tastes different

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
I've been drinking coffee with 2% milk and no sweetener for years - several cups a day. Now it no longer tastes good and makes me slightly nauseous. I've been on Keto for less than 2 weeks. I switched from milk to heavy cream - so maybe that's it, but that does no seem the right answer. I'm also drinking tea with cream and that tastes ok. Can the low carbs change my tastes?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Nausea is commonly asked about by people within their first few weeks. And in every instance I can recall it was due to the low electrolytes from water loss that occurs and often takes the "newbies" by surprise.
    I'm surprised that drinking coffee would be the only time you would feel that way but maybe it's just something about its smell or taste that sets it off for you.
    Even if you are aware of the need for more salt on low carb, you likely still need even more than you think. Or at least this is a very simple thing to try and see if it helps.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    2 days ago, I ate something my wife made - it had some low carbs with a small amount maple syrup [I stopped having any sugar 2 weeks ago]- and I had a short dizzy spell and I have no history of sugar issues - I'll increase my salt even more
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    2 days ago, I ate something my wife made - it had some low carbs with a small amount maple syrup [I stopped having any sugar 2 weeks ago]- and I had a short dizzy spell and I have no history of sugar issues - I'll increase my salt even more

I had a dizzy spell myself today after walking 2 miles in the heat this morning. I went straight to the salt shaker and added some to my water. I had been drinking water during the walk but I knew what that feeling meant and it fixed me right up. If I had pickle juice, I would've had some of that instead but it never seems to last very long in my house.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    I walked for 40 minutes this morning - I don't carry water and we have a heat alert in effect - no problems ever when walking
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Coffee hasn't been making me nauseous, but I have gone from close to two pots a day to maybe three or four cups. I still enjoy the taste of my black coffee, but no longer feel the need to consume it most of the day... I typically have one bulletproof at home getting ready in the morning, then two, three maximum, once at work.... whereas that used to be within the first hour!! Can't explain the change, but it hasn't been intentional and I'm not missing it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I walked for 40 minutes this morning - I don't carry water and we have a heat alert in effect - no problems ever when walking

This is literally only the second time I've ever had it happen too. Not common for me.

You mentioned that maybe you are just not a fan of the heavy cream... It could just be that if that's literally the only time you feel nauseated. Maybe do a half milk, half cream mix to get used to it?
  • Bob314159
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Heavy cream [that I've avoided for 20 years] is fine in tea. I've also done a half/half with sugar free yogurt and it's great.

I might play around with coffee, doing 100% milk sometimes.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Coffee regularly kills me unless it's cut as a latte. I had to switch to tea. The acid in the coffee is too much for me on a daily basis. Good luck. I miss coffee like mad!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking coffee with 2% milk and no sweetener for years - several cups a day. Now it no longer tastes good and makes me slightly nauseous. I've been on Keto for less than 2 weeks. I switched from milk to heavy cream - so maybe that's it, but that does no seem the right answer. I'm also drinking tea with cream and that tastes ok. Can the low carbs change my tastes?

Bob milk does contain some sugars but not really for heavy whipping cream like I use. When I moved from half and half to HWC I had to cut my coffee volume by 50% because of the much higher fat content I expect. Keto changed a lot of things for me.

Tonight the daughter picked up some 4% cottage cheese at WM tonight and I dove into it and said this is too sweet. I contained a long list if ingredients including Modified Food Starch. The WM brand at least does not have added starch.

• Bob314159
    Options
    I'm going from an estimated 150-200 carbs per day down to less than 30 in 2 weeks - but trying to keep some of my favorite foods to avoid changing too fast and giving up. At least I already gave up some addictive high carb food several weeks ago before I even considered Keto. My breakfast was down to 25 - still high, but that includes 1 cup of milk for coffee, so I switched to cream and that helps my count a lot. I still have to work on other meals.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Bob I had to leave carbs cold turkey to go keto because after the fact due to my unrealized carb addition so I know the feeling. Being 63 at the time and health in a rapid decline my time was running out fast so that helped me act.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Around month 2 of keto I quit drinking coffee because it just tasted blah. Prior to that, I was a hard core coffee addict. Like...do not talk to me before I've had my morning coffee. I drink maybe a cup every 2 weeks now in social situations.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I finally got my coffee tasting good again but now I only drink about 1/3 of the mug and leave the rest.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    For milk, I'm really enjoying the Fairlife brand. Extra protein and calcium, which works for me. It's a calorie and carb number I can justify. Plus, if I'm out of cream, it does a fair job in tea too. The 2% isn't watery at all.

I'll plug my fave Harney and Sons Tea if you're looking for coffee alternatives. They have some flavors that I cannot live without. I'm drinking Cranberry Autumn this moment!
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    Hahaha. I am the OPPOSITE. Coffee tastes even better to me since going LC. I crave it...savor it. I don't use sweetener in it, though. I can't do sweet stuff in the morning.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black, or with heavy whipping cream, or Bulletproof style (with butter and coconut oil) depending on my mood and what's available. I've been eating low carb for more than 6 months now, and there are still days that my coffee makes me nauseous or is just not desirable to me. I have also decreased my coffee consumption, as others have said, without even thinking about it. I just want less. I was drink 8 cups before I even got to work and then probably another 8 cups at work. Now I drink 4 cups, maybe 6, from home, and I'm often still finishing it when I start my workday. Then maybe another 1-2 cups at work. My tastes have changed quite a bit since starting this WOE.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have found that we cannot blame everything that changes in our lives on going LCHF. Relax. Life goes on. :)
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had to find different roasts to drink because the ones I chose for my old very sugary lattes don't taste very good with my new cream/no sugar coffee habit.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I find that I naturally want to switch to tea whenever I start doing LCHF again. I have no idea why.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I'm just finishing up week 2 and still crave my coffee :) I do limit myself to 3 cups a day with 1 tbsp of 1/2 & 1/2 and I count my carbs! But what I'm craving the most these days is ice cold water....lots of it!