No brassicas?!?!?!?

Options
hi all, new to the discussion forum here!

Replies

• tarnialefevre
    tarnialefevre Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hmm....seems to have not posted most of my message for some reason but can't delete
  • tarnialefevre
    Options
    Let's try again!
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of months ago and have been slowly getting used to the levothyroxine medication whilst attempting to regain normalcy in what was a very active lifestyle. In researching food which are good and bad today I discovered some talk about brassicas having a negative impact on thyroid function; for me this is terrible as I love Brussels, cabbage and broccoli, plus I eat kale almost everyday when using my nutribullet. Has anyone else found this to be a problem for them or do I need to eat a tree sized piece of broccoli before it becomes an issue?
    I look forward to engaging with many of you in discussions and posts!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    In researching food which are good and bad today I discovered some talk about brassicas having a negative impact on thyroid function; for me this is terrible as I love Brussels, cabbage and broccoli, plus I eat kale almost every day.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's three years ago, and I still eat lots & lots of cabbage, broccoli & Brussels sprouts.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
    Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Look up endocrinologist Jeffrey Brown - he's a leader in getting elite athletes with hypothyroidism back to performance, many of whom perform better after diagnosis and treatment.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323550604578412913149043072

There's a lot of correlative studies, but little objective evidence on diet. Stick to sites and sources that are objective and peer reviewed and avoid those marketing a book, meal plan, etc.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think the brassicas thing is for those with autoimmune basis for thyroid (like Hashi's which accounts for something like 70% of thyroid disorders). Autoimmune diseases are not well understood generally, and that's the same for Hashi's. For some people, they have dietary triggers that make the AI response worse. So, some through an elimination diet have found that if they eliminate certain things from their diet, they feel much better. The most common ones I know of are (1) gluten and (2) casein and lactose from dairy. But this isn't the case for everyone -- it's really a case-by-case basis.

Also from what I remember about the brassicas is that their effect is greatly reduced or eliminated if they're cooked. So, for me, I only eat cooked broccoli and cauliflower anyway. Not sure about kale. Regardless it's going to come down to an individual reaction issue -- some will react to the goitrogenic foods and some will not. I also remember part of the issue being tied to insufficient amount of iodine and/or selenium, so making sure that you're not deficient or too high will likely make a difference. Experimenting through an elimination diet is an easy way to see if they affect you.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that is quite some article. When can the mainstream cotton on.

The only dietary advice I would give to anyone is, eat what you know your body does not reject. All foods have their place in our diet providing valuable nutrition. Please do not look to eliminations without a reaction you recognise in yourself. I am coming to the conclusion the longer someone with hypothyroidism is left unrecognised/untreated by the mainstream then problems can start with different foods; possibly because of the way they breakdown for use but most probably the way the leftovers are eliminated. I hope you are someone who is diagnosed early on and will suffer fewer long term effects.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I quit eating raw broccoli altogether and now eat it cooked. Tho I do like to vary the veggies, its so easy to toss those microwavable pkgs in micro & 5min later stuffing my face. Spinach & broc/cauli seem to be what I get. I quit the raw kale too (meh, who am I kidding. Only put it in my smoothie cuz it was healthy but the banana killed that flavor lol) As for the soy, I used to eat soy more often in the form of Kay's Protein cereal but now I only have it on occasion. (like tonight.)
    Have lost about 26lbs & have about 8 more to go.
    Advice on hypothyr is really pay attention to what is working for yourself and stick to that. And don't let the hypothyr win your battle!

(eta: my diary is always open)
  • tarnialefevre
    Options
    Thank you all.
    I think I am very lucky and was diagnosed quite early, I have a fabulous gp who immediately tested me for thyroid on my first visit and as I had such a busy lifestyle I noticed the lethargy quickly. This means that my symptoms have never been as bad as the stories I've heard from others and so far I've not noticed that any foods make me feel worse. I guess my worry was that if I was eating something I shouldn't then I would negate the medication and allow the problems to get worse.
    Looks like the best plan is to carry in and if I notice a drop then look at diet.
    Thanks again all! :)
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is one of those myths - the chemicals that cause issues with hypothyroid people is almost completely eliminated when the plant is heated past 110 degrees Fahrenheit, so even steaming or blanching will get rid of it.