10 Days of Thanks

Options
Lately I've found myself venting or ranting a lot. Almost daily. I was going to come on here and complain again about whatever million little things keep irritating me.

Instead I started to think how I must sound when I do that. It's not very flattering for sure. I know I'm just in a funk for whatever reason and need to get out of it.

I decided for the next 10 days I'm going to focus on the little things I'm thankful for. I figure 10 days will be long enough to get my mind focused on the right things and hopefully that trend will continue. Anyone who would like to join me on this path, feel free to hop on.

My Thanks for today:

1. I'm thankful to all of you on MFP who among a million other things helped guide me to the appropriate magnesium supplement, it calms me at night helping me fall asleep at a normal time a get a much more sound full night sleep than I've had for years.

2. I'm thankful that everyday I come home to my 5 kitties, one who greats me at the door with her playful little self, three who mosey about doing their own thing, and my sweet old lady who doesn't do much anymore but who's purr connects straight to my heart ❤

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful for all the kind generous-with-their-time lo-carbers that helped with my way of eating! <3

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hands down without doubt the No. 1 is my husband. I managed to fall in love with a keeper.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful for all the support, IRL and online, that have made me comfortable about my WOE for maybe the first time ever.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I second Ditto Dan's thanks. This is a wonderful MFP group. And I am really thankful that I've lost 27 pounds this year!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am very thankful that you came up with this idea. You bring about what you think about and I too have been growly lately and want it to stop.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am thankful for all of my LCHF friends on MFP. Happy Thursday!!!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful for our group too!

• Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Definitely grateful for this group. I know I don't say much, but your posts are helpful, and even playful at times. Thanks!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I am thankful for MFP in general and especially thankful for my Friends who support me, and also thankful for the community in general. I love reading the posts in the LCD group. It is so informative and supportive, I feel surrounded by love and calm.

This way of eating also has provided me with the confidence to know deep down inside me that I can stick with this, and I will most definitely succeed in my mission. I feel no struggle anymore, I am not deprived of anything. The small emotional trials that come up here and there are much easier to deal with. I just stick with it and get back on plan. I used to be an emotional eater.....this is the first time I have phrased this thought with this language ....used to be....because I have just realized that I have the tools and the support to carry on despite life challenges that arise from time to time. I am not finished yet, and I know that more challenges await me. But I am determined not to allow myself to get so discouraged that I slip back to the way I was before.....depressed, with periods of extreme anxiety, resorting to eating to comfort myself, unable to get my thought process back in a healthy, positive zone. T

We can all do this ! There is always something positive that can be found in every situation, and if we need help, we have our friends here to help.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Great idea @auntstephie321 - thankfulness is the best antidote to feeling bad about life in any way. You could find 10 things a day to be thankful for and after 10 days you would have 100 - you could write them down and always have a list to look at when you're feeling angry or down.

Just for this way of eating, I am thankful that/for (1) I found this WOE where I can eat proper gorgeous food (2) I found this group and all the helpful people (3) that I've returned to a more normal size and don't feel like blob anymore (still a long way to go for health purposes though) (4) for my husband who supports me in my efforts even though I know he's sick of eating keto (how?!?!) and rarely complains (5) for my daughters who have always loved me no matter what size and shape and are even worried my jiggly belly will disappear - they've taught me that I am loveable even when I'm fat (6) thankful I have a job (period/full stop! times are tough here and about to get worse with the political situation where I live) where I can bring in my own food and everyone is supportive of weight loss efforts and aren't saboteurs (7) butter, cheese, meat, leafy greens, fish and all the nutritious goodness the earth and sun and water give us directly or indirectly (8) that keto means I can fast more easily and get all the health and weight loss benefits of intermittent fasting (just starting this, but being hopeful!) (9) that I can heal my metabolism using keto/lchf and all the years of abuse I put my poor old body through and (10) thankful that I've been able to keep this WOE up for 9 months now - had the occasional blip, but will give myself some credit for sticking with the programme.

• stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am thankful that I was obesely overweight. It gave be the opportunity to become more knowledgeable about my heath, nutrition, and to meet such a supportive community! If I had not looked down and realized I weighed 225, and needed to make a change, I would never have been so aware of my body and my health.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Great idea @auntstephie321 - thankfulness is the best antidote to feeling bad about life in any way. You could find 10 things a day to be thankful for and after 10 days you would have 100 - you could write them down and always have a list to look at when you're feeling angry or down.

Just for this way of eating, I am thankful that/for (1) I found this WOE where I can eat proper gorgeous food (2) I found this group and all the helpful people (3) that I've returned to a more normal size and don't feel like blob anymore (still a long way to go for health purposes though) (4) for my husband who supports me in my efforts even though I know he's sick of eating keto (how?!?!) and rarely complains (5) for my daughters who have always loved me no matter what size and shape and are even worried my jiggly belly will disappear - they've taught me that I am loveable even when I'm fat (6) thankful I have a job (period/full stop! times are tough here and about to get worse with the political situation where I live) where I can bring in my own food and everyone is supportive of weight loss efforts and aren't saboteurs (7) butter, cheese, meat, leafy greens, fish and all the nutritious goodness the earth and sun and water give us directly or indirectly (8) that keto means I can fast more easily and get all the health and weight loss benefits of intermittent fasting (just starting this, but being hopeful!) (9) that I can heal my metabolism using keto/lchf and all the years of abuse I put my poor old body through and (10) thankful that I've been able to keep this WOE up for 9 months now - had the occasional blip, but will give myself some credit for sticking with the programme.

Oh good lord, @totaloblivia , everything you said! Everything. Except my hubby eating keto, because, well, he likes carbage too much still despite his looming diabetes diagnosis. But he does support me (except when he thinks it's funny to try to get me to eat chips or cookies or whatever--so not funny).

Also, aside from this way of eating:

1) I'm thankful for the days when my commute is easy breezy, like today.
    2) I'm thankful for my awesome parents, who have always always always believed in me.
    3) I'm thankful especially for my mom today, because it's her birthday. She's 61 years young today, and she is probably the most youthful, energetic, and fit person I know. In fact, she is going on a weekend backpacking trip in the mountains with some of her younger in years peers. She goes every year in September and calls it her "ladies' backpacking trip"--no men allowed. I aspire to be like her. :-)
    4) I'm thankful I have a husband who washes baby bottles, vacuums (LOL, a holdover from yesterday's discussion here), takes out the trash, fuels up the vehicles, changes diapers (ahem, my ex-husband NEVER changed a single diaper, no exaggeration), gets down on the floor and wrestles with our kids, goes to school full-time, and busts his *kitten* looking for work too.
    5) I'm thankful for government assistance programs that are available to help us when we need them (and qualify for them). Specifically in my case, Medicaid and CHIP for my little ones' healthcare and WIC for healthy foods.
    6) I'm eternally grateful for my father-in-law, who retired last year so he could take care of our children free of charge. That alone is worth over $1,000 a month to our family, in addition to the confidence that my children are in good hands while I'm at work!
    7) I am so thankful for my job. No, it's not where I want to be forever, but it is secure and pays pretty well, and my boss and supervisor are so wonderful and have taught me so much! I actually enjoy going to work every morning.
    8) Cooler days. Those of you in Texas know what I'm talking about.
    9) Our new apartment--finally having space for all of us comfortably and being close to Papa (the aforementioned "manny" to our kids).
    10) All of you. <3
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful I work from home 99.99% of the time. Short commute and the ability to work in pjs.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this thread! Every one has touched me with their thankfulness! Your daily walks inspire me!

I am so full of thankfulness myself:
    1. Actually deciding to use mfp which led to me finding this amazing group of friends who have all taught me the way to find a woe that works for me!
    2. The decrease in Fibromyalgia pain, that I have been unable to control with any other treatments for fifteen years, is now my greatest motivator!
    3. Being able to stop taking all allergy medicines that I have been on since I was a young adult!
    4. Support from my hubby and son with this woe come from what they see from #2. They can see the difference in me even though they aren't keto.
    5. Eating the most delicious food now with this wol!
    6. Gaining complete control over what I choose to put in my mouth!
    7. Having the ability to be around higher carb food, of all types, and not even feel the desire for any of it! Even when some of it used to be considered favorites, it's now looked at as poison to me!

Look forward to reading more!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yesterday was a particularly emotional day for me due to an odd un-anniversary.... So, today I'm thankful for:
    1. The friends who listen to me whine, mope, and generally throw tantrums/meltdown.
    2. The same friends who totally kick me in my butt when I get stuck in my head and that cycle of self-abuse.
    3. my dietary plan that is a comfort routine for me, even when I want to have treats all the time and push the upper limits of it, because the comfort of the ease of the underlying plan is still there.
    4. the fact that my pants still fit.
    5. the fact that I'm still Morbidly Obese, because darn it, I'll get out of this category eventually.
    6. my fiance - who loves me so strongly despite my frequent moments of insanity.
    7. my life, however flawed it may be...
    8. tomorrow, because it reminds me there is always a reason for hope and to keep trying...
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You're awesome @KnitOrMiss!
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was an awesome day for me. Got to see my surgeon who confirmed that I am on the right path for me, for my life and this WOE/WOL is the best there is for me personally.

Today I am thankful for:
    1. My friends who support me.
    2. Thankful to my folks who doubt me so I can prove them wrong.
    3. A WOE and WOL that is sustainable for me.
    4. This site and for the generosity of the people here.
    5. For my health. I've always been healthy but heavy.
    6. For my doggie who is why I do what I do.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all of these! Thank you all for joining in and sharing. The more positivity the better!

I was going to wait till each evening to post my thanks but I've had some big ones already today.

I'm thankful that today was Tony's last follow up with the infectious disease dr for the endocarditis and sepsis that nearly caused him to need a heart transplant in February this year. He's gained 16 healthy lbs since he was in the hospital and there is no sign of any further infection and the scar in his heart has shrunk. I still can't believe any of that happened, that was the most difficult time I've faced in a long long time, but I thank the lord everyday that he brought us through it.

I'm also thankful that my nephew who was unable to attend school previously due to severe food intolerances and allergic reactions, has found a treatment that is working and was able to start 1st grade on Tuesday :) He is so beyond excited to be with all the other kids his age and so eager to learn. He is an amazing little man!

And my boss just thanked me for all my hard work, though I feel like I'm struggling massively at my job lately. But he told me how much he appreciates how hard I work and is giving me a 500 dollar bonus. I really do have a wonderful boss. I'm so thankful to have found this job when I did, its almost 7 years later and it has allowed me to transform my life and head down the path I've always wanted to be on.

Plus my co-worker is back from vacation tomorrow, time to get cranking on those end of year goals!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this reminder to be thankful. Lately I've been concentrating too much on not getting what I wanted instead of being grateful for what I have.

1. wonderful husband who puts up with my crazy, even supports it sometimes
    2. beautiful kids who are well mannered and productive members of society
    3. beautiful and healthy grandkids
    4. nice home
    5. decent car
    6. all of you all who are helpful and supportive and knowledgeable
    7. ability to afford the necessities and some luxuries too
    8. decent job- i dont have to work weekends or be outside in the rain/heat/cold
    9. my fur babies
    10. awesome extended family who i dont have to visit in jail
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Keto_T wrote: »
    10. awesome extended family who i dont have to visit in jail

Well that's something! :)