Metformin ?

Options
1234usmc
1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
I have been searching on here and online off and on for 2 weeks, reading about metformin and I just cant find anything that makes me feel better about taking it. I was diagnosed T2 last Oct. a1c of 7.3 or so. Over 8 months I lost 30+lbs and started exerciding (cardio and weights) regularly. My a1c only went down to 6.6. My Endo wanted me to start metformin and I refused (that was the end of June). I decided to try eating low carb. I havent been strict enough that I am a keto person, but I cant be far off. I just had my a1c checked and after only 2 months it was down to 5.9. Not where I want it, but not bad for 2 months since it is a 3 month average roughly. My endo is still insisting that I start metformin. She said I am the only patient she has ever had refuse to take it. She said many new studies show metformin not only helps with diabetes/ insulin resistance but is showing that is can help prevent several cancers. Being a cancer survivor, that is interesting, but I hate to take something I may not need. My mom is a diabetic so I have a family history. My Dr. asked if I could stick with this diet the rest of my life. I cant say for sure that I can but I am so far. I just really miss pasta, bread, potatoes :). I said all of that to ask my question. What are your experiences, good and bad, with metformin? Maybe a low dose of 500mg would have benefits besides just my blood sugar. My Dr. insists that it will help me not become insulin dependant longer. BTW, it came in the mail today. My Dr ordered it for me even though I said no.

Replies

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    After some nausea and diarrhea the first week i had no ill effects when I was on it. But I am back off it again.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I'd take it for now only to get off it later. It can keep you from becoming a diabetic for years.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I had bad stomach cramps for a few weeks then they went away.... I am having almost no side effects now and am on 500mg metformin xr bid. If I go a long time between eating I get heartburn, but that may be my lack of a gall bladder as much as the metformin. My doctor also highly recommended it and put me on blood pressure medication for protection of my kidneys. With diet, exercise and metformin my A1C went from 10.3 in February to 5.7 in May. My doctor agreed to lower or stop metformin if I can keep my A1C under 6.0.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I take Metformin. I've had digestive issues but it is tolerable. My biggest difficulty is the fact that it is an anorectic and there are days it is quite difficult for me to eat. I can go for 16 hours easily without feeling hungry, which isn't great for keeping my blood sugar stable. I rely on liquids (yep, those nutritional things for diabetics) when I'm feeling that effect. I'm having one right now actually because I haven't eaten for 14 hours and the thought of food is, well, quite off-putting.

Here is my view: Metformin isn't forever, and it is worthwhile if it means being able to delay or completely avoid the complications of diabetes.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't recall any side effects, but I've been taking it for several years. I take the 1000mg pill 2X a day. I'm hoping to work my way off it in the next 6 months or so.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    My a1c is down to 5.9 with no meds, that's why I really don't want to start it. My Dr just thinks it would be best to get it even lower plus the other benefits of metformin. I just hate to take meds if I don't need to. 500mg a day isn't much but maybe it's a pride thing too. I like knowing I got my a1c down without it. But maybe a small dose will help me keep it down. With my family history, my pcp said it's not if, it's when I will need insulin. I refuse to accept that premise. I keep going back and forth on what to do.
  • gaelicstorm26
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think it is a very personal choice, to be honest. I hope to one day be off of all medication for diabetes.

Is this doctor an endocrinologist, or your family doctor?
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    She is an endocrinologist. She is young and I feel up on the latest information. She doesn't understand why I am so resistant if it can help me. My thought is why take meds if I don't have to. Or do I take the low dose of 500mg once a day and see what happens......
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    With a 5.9 A1C and near keto (as you described) levels of low carb you definitely don't need metformin. I'd have the same feeling as you in not believing that insulin is an inevitible thing for you someday. I would not be surprised if your next A1C is under 5.0 if you stick with things, without meds, and I would bet any amount of money on the fact that if you continue eating the way you are now it will at least be below 5.5 in 3 more months.

As for other benefits, I dunno. My instincts are the same as yours I think. I got off metformin as soon as my doctor OK'd it and was thrilled at the accomplishment and never looked back. I didn't have any noticible side effects with it, but it just seems like a natural and logical goal to see how much health I could regain once I started taking care of myself, which includes a goal to get off all meds if possible. So that's my default way of thinking and it takes a lot of convincing otherwise.

You may want to ask the same question on the low carb forums. There are a couple folks over there who are really good at parsing through scientific research and giving people things to read and consider, and you may be able to get a better feel for the non-blood sugar related benefits of metformin there.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry, I didn't actually answer the original question.

If I had side effects from metformin initially they weren't bad enough for me to remember. I took it for a year without issue. My mom is also diabetic and hates it and complains about digestive issues with it.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have taken Metformin off and on for about 10 years. The worst side effect is GI distress but if you take the ER version (long acting) and start slowly, it isn't so bad. From what I have read, this is a safe drug, doe not cause weight gain and does have other helpful aspects, as you mentioned. There are a lot of other drugs with very serious side effects that I would not use. Metformin is safe as far as I know. Having said that, I have had the best results with low carb diet.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oh, the only serious side effect is if you take it when you are sick--it can cause a condition - the name of which I forget- that can be dangerous, I just stop taking Metformin if I have a bad cold flu, etc.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    I think it is called lactic acidosis. I might be having surgery in November and I'll have to stop taking Metformin for 24-48 hours before to avoid the possibility of it.
  • ElFluffyGringo
    ElFluffyGringo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off metformin for about 9 years or so and I have never had any side effects or ill feelings. I was even on a combination of metformin in the morning and lantus at night and still no issues. Now I am on glucovance and still no issues. I think every body is different.
  • ElFluffyGringo
    ElFluffyGringo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BTW there are lots of articles floating out there on some possible good side effects to being on metformin. So it is not all bad news.
  • Maddox84
    Maddox84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Personally I have not had any issues with metformin. I have been on it about 6 weeks now. 500 mg morning and 500 mg at night.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    I'll be honest, I've been on it for about 8 weeks now and this is the first week I haven't had any GI distress. Pretty exciting!
  • Arleen316
    Arleen316 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed I started on Metformin, but the digestive side effects were too much for me, so we stopped it and just did Glymeperide. Recently my blood sugar has not been controlled, went back up to a 9.5 A1c from a 7.5, so we are doing the Metformin XR, one 500 mg morning, one 500 mg evening. So far so good, I've had no side effects at all in 2 weeks, I think the extended release helps. I do hope to get off of it one day, I do hate taking medicines and generally don't trust the big pharma companies to have my best interest at heart, but for now I'll take my medicine like I'm supposed to! Finally got blood sugar under 200 for the first time in weeks yesterday, saw a 153 after lunch...I was so happy to see that- hoping to continue the downward trend!
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At the beginning I had a few small issues but I quickly got over them as far as digestive issues. My body has the opposite effect now... I require a lot of water to keep things going and can get dehydrated pretty quick. My skin gets pretty dry so I tend to use baby oil in the shower right before I get out otherwise my poor legs break out pretty bad! Otherwise I feel pretty good. I also wanted to add that by being on medication it kind of gave my pancreas and liver a bit of a break and I was able to bounce back as far as insulin resistance went. I was on Lantus at the beginning in combination with my metformin. Within a few months I noticed a huge difference in my blood sugars. They started dropping and I was able to go off Lantus after 9 months of being on it. My metformin is slowly decreasing as well...so there is hope and know that just because you start doesn't mean you will be on it for the rest of your life.
  • 1234usmc
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input. I am still having a raging debate inside my head. I have my a1c down by following a low carb diet but it is hard. I travel a lot, like this week, and it is hard to just eat salad bcuz everything has bread or breading etc. I am not no carb, just low carb. I would love some french fries or pasta occasionally. If I went on the low dose of metformin I could do that. But like I told my wife tonight, I don't want to justify it and then when my sugar goes up someday, take a little more before my small dose turns into 2500mg or something. Arg!!!!!