Veggie Side Dishes

Options
I'm starting to lose the taste for a lot of the low carb side dishes and could really spruce up my meal plan. Do you have any good side recipes for lower middle carb levels? I'm really looking for something without bacon and not just another use for cauli.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I tend to rotate through my veggies. My green beans have bacon, but almonds and butter too, that's nice. Just FYI...

For asapargus, I do a simple roasting in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
    For broccoli, I steam it, then slather it with butter and cheese.
    For cabbage, I either do it in stir fry, crack slaw, etc.

I also do stir fries with normal veggie mix. Onion, peppers, mushrooms, sprouts, green onions, cabbage, etc. Small servings in a mix don't add up too much.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Creamed spinach is my current favorite. :)
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I also like stir fry vegetables or asparagus fried up with butter and minced garlic and some herbs.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Oh, and I recently discovered that if I slice brussels sprouts in half down the middle and then fry them a little in a pan with butter, they are so much better! Although I like them just steamed too.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Broccoli with tons of cheese melted on it or drenched in a carb-friendly cheese sauce.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Spinach & butter alongside BBQ ribs. :)
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    oooo Miami176D take those brussel sprouts, put them in an oven safe dish and pop them in the oven at 400 for about 45 minutes (depends on how much you make, I make big batches cause we love them) and let them get all caramelized. Oh lord yum!! Garlic salt on top. And butter too if you desire, they are just gorgeous.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I like any green veggie, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, etc roasted with sea salt and pepper coated with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, I cook it till its a little crispy and have to stop myself from eating all of it, its soooooo good
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I roast Brussels sprouts, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, just about anything.
    I also make what i call veggie hash. I use my food processor to grind up kale, mushrooms, and onions to the consistency of rice (and make another batch with sweet potato if my son is eating) and then cook it in duck fat and ghee. Yum
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    For stir fry I add pb2 and soy sauce

It gives a cool different restaurant flavor

Bok Choy with shaved carrots for color

Adding fresh cilantro to other traditional veggies to make them have a bit of pop
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower. Mmmmmmm. Cut into bite size pieces, drizzle with olive oil and whatever spices, and throw in the oven at 425 for 20ish minutes. So good! Same a sbrussel sprouts sliced in half and roasted in the oven. My favorites.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Don't forget mushrooms. Fried with garlic and butter.

Add sauces to your veges to mix it up a little. Cream sauces, alfredo sauces, cheese sauces. All very simple and lots of recipes on the net. French sauces are all high fat and low carb.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, green beans and/or asparagus... pan fried with butter or bacon grease, seasoned with salt and pepper and served over salad greens.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower. Mmmmmmm. Cut into bite size pieces, drizzle with olive oil and whatever spices, and throw in the oven at 425 for 20ish minutes. So good! Same a sbrussel sprouts sliced in half and roasted in the oven. My favorites.

I discovered Brussel sprouts recently

I cut in half and pan fry with some Pam till they brown

Yummy!!

A little coconut oil brings out the natural sweetness too!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Korean cold spinach salad
    (banchan)

Dip salad spinach into boiling salted water. 5 secs. Colander, squeeze a bit moist out with a wooden spoon or ladle. Splash of sesame oil. Mix well. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Can store in fridge for up to a week.

It's great for lunch or to any fried or grilled protein. Even put it into asian style soups to fill the dark green quota.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Sauteed zucchini and summer squash with onions and red/orange/yellow sweet pepper. Butter, garlic pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
  • mycatbutters
    mycatbutters Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try the Korean cold spinach salad. I think that's what I'm looking for, foods with different ethnic hints, maybe some spice. We do a lot of zucchini and summer squash. Any other interesting blends?
    Thanks for all the ideas.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Tried Brussels sprouts for first time on the recommendations in this thread. Am so glad I did! I did them in the over with olive oil, salt and pepper, 425 degrees. Took about 20 minutes and were amazing! Family approves too! :smiley:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    *oven
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm starting to lose the taste for a lot of the low carb side dishes and could really spruce up my meal plan. Do you have any good side recipes for lower middle carb levels? I'm really looking for something without bacon and not just another use for cauli.

I'll give you my top five favorites. Hope you try them and love them as much as I do.

1. Frozen or steamed green beans sautéed in bacon drippings. Don't overcook the beans. Then add leftover crumbled bacon and a sprinkle of curry powder. The green/yellow nuclear glow means you did it right. SO YUMMY.
    2. Cut summer squash or zucchini into rings. If it's the real giant squash, peel the skin off, too. Then boil it the same way you would pasta: ten minutes in boiling water or until tender. Drain it well and add butter, nutmeg and salt and pepper. The nutmeg and the squash does something together and it's lovely.
    3. (My lunch today) Wash greens (I used spicy mustard greens and spinach leaves), and add to melted butter and minced garlic in a fry pan. Sauté a bit until the greens start to wilt down. I used two cups greens, a bit of minced garlic and a lug of butter. Then I added three eggs, and folded a few times into the pan as they cooked. Remove from heat and stir in some grated cheese (I used Italian fontina and it was stellar!) My mom used to make this a lot when I was a kid but she always used mozzarella.
    4. Slice a head of cabbage into "steaks" and roast in a hot oven (400) after brushing them with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast till tender and the edges start to brown. I love these. You can also toss Brussels sprouts with the oil and s+p and roast in a similar way.
    5. My favorite for last: steam fresh asparagus for a few minutes (depending on thickness) till tender. Serve with a low carb bearnaise sauce. Sometimes I make it from scratch and sometimes I use a packaged mix, making it with HWC and water instead of milk to further cut carbs. I adore this side, especially with a nice thick steak!