I Cheated........FINALLY!

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
I've been watching the scale remain stuck (it seems) since mid July, when I saw an increase of 18 pounds! The only cause that I could find was the splendid in the coffee syrup I had begun to put in some coffee. The lowest scale reading I have had was 194. I was so excited to be below 200! But, within two weeks the scale was back up to 212! I cut the coffee syrup and began to feel the thinness that I had been feeling again, but the scale has been super stubborn!

During education classes for bariatric surgery the subject of stalls came up. One nurse recommended a day of eating off plan, or eating a chocolate bar, to jumpstart the weight loss again. There was no supporting evidence, just experience they have with this phenomenon. So, I did! I had fried chicken tenders for lunch, fried shrimp for supper and then had an America's Finest chocolate bar (27carbs)! That was on Tuesday. As of now I am down 4 pounds! I jumped right back on plan Wednesday with no trouble, but the intestinal issues were a wake up to why I don't eat those things! Yes, I have read everyone's warnings about this, and it's true! Many things we must learn on our own, lol! I had to suffer for it, but if the downward trend continues it might be worth it!

I have thought and analysed this gain since it started. I still don't fully understand it, especially since I have yet to make it back below 200 (204 today). I'm thinking that I must have been dehydrated along with a really good hormone day to achieve the 194, but didn't realise it? One would think the scale would return to the lowest weight after removing the offending substance! Apparently the calculus my body is doing is just as confusing as the class would be.

I am just super proud of myself for sticking with it, when I had every reason to give up! Knowing I stayed on plan through this storm let's me know that I can make it through just about anything! Hugs everybody!
(Any ideas or opinions on this are welcome, thanks! :smile: )

Replies

• middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good job!
    I can't explain it either. I had the same experience. Had it twice accidentaly and everytime it would break the stall or accelerate loss. So much so that i had decided to do a Cyclical Keto diet because it just made sense..... wrong decision for me. I started to stall when i did that even lowering my calories.
    I say count your blessings and don't abuse it. :-)
    congrats
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thanks @middleagedmeh! :smiley:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have heard that too, that a "cheat day" can jump start things again. I also think that it is perhaps *what* you eat on the cheat that determines the consequences the next day. Another school of thought is raise calories to maintenance level for a time and then go back to reduced calories again for continued weight loss. So that is something else you might try, just more calories rather than higher sugar.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    So did the "intestinal issues" cause diarrhea? If so, that'll obviously cause water loss.

The only quasi-theory I've seen about "cheats" is the leptin-reset theory: the stall is caused by low leptin levels, and if the cheat refills some fat cells, then leptin levels will increase.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I've been really trying to increase my intake. The most I've been able to achieve is around 1700 (which is still a deficit according to mfp), but am unable to do that everyday. Most days are 1100-1300. Will make a more conscious effort to increase the lc intake for a bit to see what happens. Thanks @deksgrl! It felt really weird eating the chocolate. I've been so low carb for so long now that it didn't feel right, even though it was a conscious decision. It tasted okay but the side effects were not worth it, for sure!
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Karla, the other day when I seen my doc, we got on to the subject of dark chocolate. I get Ghirardelli 86% midnight cocoa, I add 1tbsp of skippy super chunk peanut butter and enjoy maybe once every 3 days. Only 6g net carb for the entire combo I make. Makes me feel good and kills the urge for a reeces peanut butter cup. I'm still trying and learning.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thanks for the tip @carimiller! That sounds good when the desire for something sweet kicks in!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Karla, the other day when I seen my doc, we got on to the subject of dark chocolate. I get Ghirardelli 86% midnight cocoa, I add 1tbsp of skippy super chunk peanut butter and enjoy maybe once every 3 days. Only 6g net carb for the entire combo I make. Makes me feel good and kills the urge for a reeces peanut butter cup. I'm still trying and learning.

DO not get the ghiradelli 100% dark (baking aisle). It requires WAY TOO MUCH sweetener to make it tolerable like the 86%, and carbs are similar before you even GET to the sugars!!! UGH Cannot wait to get it used up and go back to my 86%.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thanks Carley! I have been reluctant to keep even dark chocolate around since it has always been a trigger food for me. I will remember the tip though once I do!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I quite regularly eat somewhat off plan, and have success in kickstarting new losses to occur when I return to strict keto again. I don't go too overboard, but will increase carbs to around 50 g daily ( or more, but that's rare) from my usual under 20g daily.

I plan for special occasions, and allow myself to eat a few potato chips or sweet potato fries, or a bit of Haagen Dazs ice cream, and I regularly eat a bit of dark chocolate. I buy chocolate weekly, but the other treats might be consumed once per month or so. Dim sum will be eaten a couple of times per year and I enjoy it. I don't let this WOE prevent me from participating within reason.

Tonight I am meeting a large group of co-workers at a Chinese buffet, so have fasted prior and will fast after this event. While I am there, I will make wise choices, but I know very well that my carb and possibly caloric intake will be higher than usual.

I'm not stressing over it though. I think the occasional carb excursion jolts our systems into being more responsive to our food choices. My weight will go up a bit when I weigh myself tomorrow, but I have confidence that I will lose it again soon.

I love this WOE ! Every time I have tried something new like dairy-free, ZC, higher carbs or water fasting, I have experienced new losses on the scale.

I also suspect that my carb excursions are the training ground for what maintenance will feel like, so I continue to rotate my diet slightly and take measures to mitigate damage. My weight loss feels slow to me at times. In the past 3 months, I have lost 15 pounds......but I did it in summer, with vacations and weekends away and while enjoying myself ! That' a huge victory. I feel like I am in control over my eating for the first time in my life ! And this is something that I wish for all of us. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged !
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    @Kitnthecat You and I - so similar. How long have you been on MFP?
  • Kellyss95
    Kellyss95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Been low carbing for three months lost twenty pounds .. Then I hit the wall lol stopped losing didn't gain anything back but was just stuck ... I went off for two days and allowed myself a little more carbs and began losing again. Mind you I didn't go crazy with carbs but had some well deserved treats lol. I find that I lost my desire for most carb filled foods such as bread and potatoes .. Has anyone have that happen to them ?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've found this to be true too. A boost in calories and carbs for a day seems to give things a push in the right direction... Usually. LOL
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Kellyss95 wrote: »
    I find that I lost my desire for most carb filled foods such as bread and potatoes .. Has anyone have that happen to them ?

This is very true for me. My dietitian requires I try foods every two weeks that I have no intention of keeping in my diet... bread, pasta, potatoes. When I eat them, I'm just eating them because I have to. I eat the bare minimum to meet her requirements, then I'm done.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    @Kitnthecat You and I - so similar. How long have you been on MFP?

Hi there, I've been on MFP since the beginning of March 2015, and I have to say that this group has changed my life, so grateful to be here ! This is so stress free.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I guess being too strict for too long can definitely create a stall. I will be sure to "shake it up" consciously more often! @Kellyss95, I find no desire for potatoes, pasta, or rice which used to be staples of my diet! I love this woe too! Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment! :smiley:
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I get random cravings for bun on hamburgers often, but that's about it as for as potatoes and bread. I've had no problem abstaining from them when put before me. Lately I've been thinking a lot about cheating, but I realize it's entirely hormonal and out of boredom. Sweets are my main issue, but if I can say no to chocolate cake, and it was HARD, I think I'll manage. :) I think a cheat meal every now and then is okay really, but I know me. I won't get back on plan and I've come too far to derail now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

DO not get the ghiradelli 100% dark (baking aisle). It requires WAY TOO MUCH sweetener to make it tolerable like the 86%, and carbs are similar before you even GET to the sugars!!! UGH Cannot wait to get it used up and go back to my 86%.

I embraced the magic that is Green and Black Organic Dark Chocolate (86%) this weekend. Far lower on carbs, and less sweet than even the Ghiradelli one of the same %... Walgreens carries it, and it is one of the best in the world for store bought chocolate, according to good authority...
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm just now reaching the six month mark of being at keto level. I have had a total of three conscious cheats. This one meant the most because I felt deserving of it. One of the best things I have found is that I don't even try to rationalize that I got away with a cheat that I can do it again (as in the past, too many times!). Jumping back up into this saddle is preferred anyway! :smiley: