Are holiday foods/sweets a challenge for you?

Options
sfinsc
sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
I know it's a little bit early to talk about the holidays, but since we're talking about Christmas weight loss goals... :)

I recently read this article about how to resist overeating during the holidays and found it really interesting. I don't care much for holiday dinners, but the SWEETS slay me every year. I'm going to try to implement some of these tips this year and see if it helps. What about you guys? Do you struggle, too?

Replies

• matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, chocolate is my biggest challenge. Last year i avoided the sweet table at parties. It was the only way to keep from eating. I have given myself 1 chocolate treat for every 10 pounds that i lose. It motivates me to lose the weight so i can have my treat.
  • sfinsc
    Options
    Chocolate, yum! I have such a serious love of chocolate that I have to incorporate it into my daily intake somehow. I usually save it as a treat for the end of the day, when I have extra calories left over. It's challenging, for sure!
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes, chocolate is my biggest challenge. Last year i avoided the sweet table at parties. It was the only way to keep from eating. I have given myself 1 chocolate treat for every 10 pounds that i lose. It motivates me to lose the weight so i can have my treat.

I like this idea!! I struggle with the love of sweets!
  • harpstermelissa
    harpstermelissa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Luckily sweets are not my downfall, but holiday food is. This year I will not deny myself something, just have a few bites instead.
  • lindadprice
    lindadprice Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think for the holidays I'm going to try and just have mostly veggies and light on everything else. I love thanksgiving and mashed potatoes is one of my favorites. I usually try and work out on holidays to leave room for food. I used to do 5ks on thanksgiving for a couple of years.
  • sfinsc
    Options
    I thought about doing a 5K on T-giving this year, @lindadprice! I don't think I'll be ready in time, though. I'm just heading into week 4 on the C25K app, and my speed is glacial right now.
  • Gennybunny96
    Gennybunny96 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    All holiday food is my downfall. I mean, I am already struggling with pumpkin spice lattes. I am trying to incorporate it in my daily food journal. I bought the pumpkin spice via's and have 1 a day. 140 calories. If I need it, I piece of dark chocolate is 60 calories. Cheese and crackers are another downfall. I buy individual servings of applewood smoked cheddar and enjoy with 4 triscuits. I am starting to enjoy all my favorite foods in moderation. Planned treats. it helps keep me on track. Preplanning my day really helps me stay on track.
  • jenmd26
    jenmd26 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My problem is all the baking that I do during the holidays, coupled with my lack of self control. Bad combo.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just love "festive" goodies. Pretty colors and interesting flavors, etc. Little christmas tree cookies will get me every time. LOL
  • shylady76
    shylady76 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jenmd26 wrote: »
    My problem is all the baking that I do during the holidays, coupled with my lack of self control. Bad combo.

I love holiday baking too and then you have to eat it too because you can't let all that hard work go to waste. At least that is my biggest downfall.
  • Smallerjojo2015
    Smallerjojo2015 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate and sweet things
    I have to stop myself having sweet things a lot
    Not helped that I do a lot of baking for a disabled childrens charity I volunteer for and for my husband that has a sweet tooth.
    I have worked out what I will be doing for xmas I am getting a pretty box and with tin foil I am wrapping up small bits of sweet things
    ie a chocolate cereal bar cut into 4 ( about 84 calories so each bit is 21 calories ) they come in different flavours so will put in a few and never know what I will be getting so more like a treat
  • gettinskinny8503
    gettinskinny8503 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Holiday foods...definitely tough!! We're getting into fall and all I want to do is eat pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin m&ms, muffins, octoberfest beers, apple cider and doughnuts :( I'm trying to resist the urge and tell myself that I've had these things before and right now my health and weight loss goals are more important but it's definitely a struggle, especially when people bring doughnuts and treats to work and leave them in the break room
  • Karyn1415
    Karyn1415 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love to bake and really enjoy sweets! No baking at ALL for me this year, it gets me every time. I am going to try to find healthy alternatives to my favorite holiday foods. I love punpkin everything.
  • sealightdolphin
    sealightdolphin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My daughter was born on thanksgiving meal. So I always have a thanksgiving meal sweets and then birthday sweets. Does me in. T
  • got2befitnow
    got2befitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes!!! I am a complete sucker for the holiday snacking. There are so many get-togethers which have lots of yummy finger foods and sweets. I swear I can eat my body weight in appetizers and never feel like I'm full. I try to keep a container of mints in my pocket when I'm at these parties and keep popping them in my mouth.
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    These are really handy tips - thanks for sharing! I'm definitely nervous to try to lose weight during the holidays. Cold months in general make me want to eat more and workout less...

I'm hoping I can leave sweets/holiday food to parties and special gatherings only.

Plus with my wedding in January, I'm hoping it just the extra incentive I need to not pile on the sweets...