Local Restaurants with healthy options

Options
stephenrhinton
stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
Burger Warfare - Battleground Ave
I don't know if you folks have tried this place, but I heartily approve. I know that as health conscious eaters, big greasy satisfying burgers are rarely part of the plan. But sometimes I definitely crave them. At BW you can have any burger on a lettuce wrap instead of a bun! Additionally you can sub raw veggies for the fries, you get a mix of cauliflower, carrots, celery, and radishes with some ranch dipping sauce. For an upcharge you can get green beans or fresh fruit. But wait, there is more! You can sub out the beef patties for chicken, turkey, or bean for no charge. For another upcharge you can sub to Bison!! There will still be unhealthy toppings like mayo and such. But overall this is not a bad way to get your greasy fix.

Saladworks - Bridford Parkway
This is basically what it sounds like it. Lots and lots of salad options. You can also get a panini and/or soup. It's nice to have a little something else for different texture etc. But salads with turkey, chicken, steak, tuna, etc. Fresh fruits, fresh veggies, etc. About 5 different fat free or light dressing options.

What are your favorite places in the area where you can eat out, enjoy, but stay on plan?

Replies

• stephenrhinton
    Options
    Elizabeth's Pizza on Guilford College Rd - I've always been thrown for a loop by Elizabeth's pizza in this area. Are they a franchise/chain or aren't they. There are lot of them around, but only in the immediate area. But other than the name, and serving pizza they don't share alot in common. Some are set up like little sandwich shops, others like pizza take-out places, and still others like family diners. ANYWAY, the one at Guilford College Rd and Friendly ave in the same shopping center as Boston Market, Starbucks, Menchies, and Carolina Diner has some great options.

The will let you:
    - Have half portions for half price. The normal portions are very generous so this is great!
    - Upsell to sub veggies for pasta. All of the house specialities come served over pasta (naturally), but this little option takes a carb-heavy meal and makes it very reasonable. And you can choose from about 3 different veggie options, I always opt for sauteed mushrooms and garlic. Yum!
    - Upsell to add a garden salad - They have a good garden salad with buts of green pepper cut up in it, which is a tad italian, and not necessarily standard fare. And they have a decent selection of low-cal dressing options as well.

Combine all three options and you have a filling and satisfying meal that is fairly light in calories and carbs, for about the same price as the original unmodified meal. Now the economist/carnivore in me says "hey wait a minute you just gave away half your meat for extra veggies and it is the same price?!?!?" ....but the determined to lose weight me says, "I just found a way to eat, enjoy, be filled, and not feel guilty!!! Shut up stoopid carnivore!"

And of course you don't hafta do all three options ...if carbs are less of a concern for you, or you really NEED the extra protein, etc.

So choosing the veal parmesean still yields a pretty calorie dense meal because you have a breaded veal patty. And a big ol generous slice of melted mozzarella cheese, lots of marinara, etc. But both the cacciatore and marsala are very reasonable. I'm going to try the picatta next time. This has become a fairly standard post-sunday-service choice for moi.
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    Olympic Family Restaurant in Colfax

Great variety of foods, reasonably priced, good service. But what sells me these days is the side-item selection. So many restaurants the side items are 80% starches. This restaurant has your standard starches, but also a couple of fruit options, cottage cheese, sliced tomatoes, squash, beans, etc. And for a significant part of the menu the entree comes with 3 sides instead of 2.