Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Disclaimer:

LOL! Step right up!

That was pretty wild and when I could understand what he was saying, it was funny....! Where in the world did you find that?

Dan
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Disclaimer:

LOL! Step right up!

That was pretty wild and when I could understand what he was saying, it was funny....! Where in the world did you find that?

Dan

My hubby and I are long-time Tom Waits fans... he was famous for that song in his early years. Still listening!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that was great, haven't listened to Tom Waits in years ! It's early am here right before work and I want a beer......
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....
    broke fast today after first 36 hour fast. feeling pretty good. zero weigh loss but probably due to overhydration.

2 cups of water weigh a little over one pound.

Can you help me out with what your "cup" of water is? Sorry if it is obvious, but it crossed my mind it could be a random "cup" in your house. So, I will assume it is a measuring cup of water? That seemed a bit light to me at first glance.

Since you're restricting water to 8-10 cups and saying we don't "need" more than that, I want to be sure I'm clear on your idea of a cup.

• DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....
    broke fast today after first 36 hour fast. feeling pretty good. zero weigh loss but probably due to overhydration.

Can you help me out with what your "cup" of water is? Sorry if it is obvious, but it crossed my mind it could be a random "cup" in your house. So, I will assume it is a measuring cup of water? That seemed a bit light to me at first glance.

Since you're restricting water to 8-10 cups and saying we don't "need" more than that, I want to be sure I'm clear on your idea of a cup.

Nic, a cup of water is 8 oz. or 236.6 ml (if you are on metric system). I use containers that are marked as such. I do not use random coffee cups or any other vessels. I have a 4 cup container I fill ~ when I get to work, and can easily see my progress for drinking water.

While I have you here, I want to stress that 8-10 cups is "Goldilocks". If you drink too much water, your body will absorb it and your kidneys won't be able to get rid of it. I think many people "over drink" water, they think if a moderate amount is good, the double the amount is excellent. I disagree. If you drink too little, you'll get dehydrated. I have tried more and less, and these are the numbers that give me the excellent weight loss. Its a recipe.

For your first water fast, use my numbers and also note the timing of drinking the water. The timing is "Goldilocks" to. If you drink all the water too soon, you'll be thirsty later in the day. If you drink it too late, your body won't have time to pee it out, and your weight loss will suffer. Yes, I have also drank water too late in the day and my weight loss suffered.

I noticed, that the longer I slept on the second night of the fast, the more peeing I did, and the more weight I lost on the morning weigh-in. But there were days were I forgot to drink my water early on and then drank 4 or more cups before going to bed, and my weight loss suffered.

There is a connection between fat burning and water/peeing. And somewhere out there on google, there's probably a study that will back me up.

I hope I am making this clear. I may be wrong scientifically, but I have done this enough (experimenting with qty & timing) of water and that I easily noticed differences in my week to week losses.

And, this is why I am stressing two other "water retention" things.

Salt.

If I eat too much salt, I have noticed my body retains water. The way I can easily know if I eat too much salt is easy for me. Last night, I salted my shrimp way too much. At about 5 am in the morning, I get what I call, "salt mouth". My mouth tastes really salty, its parched, and I have to rinse my mouth out with water. Then I go back to sleep. So today (one day before the fast) and during my fast, I will NOT eat any additional salt. I will only eat salt, when/if I start to feel "crummy".

Exercise.

Any exercise that "makes you sore" damages your cells. The bodies response will be water retention. Water is a big part of the healing process. So, all you people out there that do a lot of exercise that makes you sore ~ a day or two ~ BEFORE your weigh-in ~ are doing it WRONG. That's why I stress the timing of exercise in relation to the fasting and weigh-in. You have to give your body time to heal, because when it does, it will release a couple pounds of water (pee).

Again, I doubt the above is scientific and can be criticized ~ or just plain wrong. But I still get the good results following my recipe.

Dan

• DittoDan
    Options
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....

Nic, a cup of water is 8 oz. or 236.6 ml (if you are on metric system). I use containers that are marked as such. I do not use random coffee cups or any other vessels. I have a 4 cup container I fill ~ when I get to work, and can easily see my progress for drinking water.

While I have you here, I want to stress that 8-10 cups is "Goldilocks". If you drink too much water, your body will absorb it and your kidneys won't be able to get rid of it. I think many people "over drink" water, they think if a moderate amount is good, the double the amount is excellent. I disagree. If you drink too little, you'll get dehydrated. I have tried more and less, and these are the numbers that give me the excellent weight loss. Its a recipe.

For your first water fast, use my numbers and also note the timing of drinking the water. The timing is "Goldilocks" to. If you drink all the water too soon, you'll be thirsty later in the day. If you drink it too late, your body won't have time to pee it out, and your weight loss will suffer. Yes, I have also drank water too late in the day and my weight loss suffered.

I noticed, that the longer I slept on the second night of the fast, the more peeing I did, and the more weight I lost on the morning weigh-in. But there were days were I forgot to drink my water early on and then drank 4 or more cups before going to bed, and my weight loss suffered.

There is a connection between fat burning and water/peeing. And somewhere out there on google, there's probably a study that will back me up.

I hope I am making this clear. I may be wrong scientifically, but I have done this enough (experimenting with qty & timing) of water and that I easily noticed differences in my week to week losses.

Salt.

If I eat too much salt, I have noticed my body retains water. The way I can easily know if I eat too much salt is easy for me. Last night, I salted my shrimp way too much. At about 5 am in the morning, I get what I call, "salt mouth". My mouth tastes really salty, its parched, and I have to rinse my mouth out with water. Then I go back to sleep. So today (one day before the fast) and during my fast, I will NOT eat any additional salt. I will only eat salt, when/if I start to feel "crummy".

Exercise.

Any exercise that "makes you sore" damages your cells. The bodies response will be water retention. Water is a big part of the healing process. So, all you people out there that do a lot of exercise that makes you sore ~ a day or two ~ BEFORE your weigh-in ~ are doing it WRONG. That's why I stress the timing of exercise in relation to the fasting and weigh-in. You have to give your body time to heal, because when it does, it will release a couple pounds of water (pee).

Again, I doubt the above is scientific and can be criticized ~ or just plain wrong. But I still get the good results following my recipe.

Dan

Carbohydrates retain water too. That's why when a person starts a lo-carb diet, he looses a lot of water weight. But since we are on LC diets, that shouldn't be a problem.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else started?

This is my first fasting day. I finished eating at 8pm last night. It's just past lunchtime here and my stomach is gurgling asking for food but I feel fine in myself - my colleagues here at work might feel different about it listening to the growling! I have drunk quite a lot - 2 large cups herbal tea, one cup marmite (I decided this was OK as only 9 cals and thought it would help keep the sodium up) and 2 x 300ml cans diet coke (I know Dan, I know, but it fills me up a bit), so need to slow down now over the afternoon otherwise I will be peeing all afternoon.

I should have said that I used to do IF on 5:2 (ie normal eating but then 500cals on the 2 days) but found that I could eat enough on the non-fasting days to completely overcompensate for the fasting days. I then moved to 1 day on, 1 day off (I usually had 500 cals on my fasting day in accordance with the protocol) (still on carb way of eating back then) which was great, feast and fast, and you couldn't eat enough on the feast day to overcompensate for fasting. I did lose weight that way, but eventually just gave up, I think I was fed up. Hopefully this way will be more sustainable. My previous experience does however teach me that the body can be trained to it as I never felt particularly hungry IF-ing once I adjusted to it - nothing unmanageable anyway.

I will report back tonight about how it is going.
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I fasted yesterday, last meal was 5pm on the 8th. I stayed true and had water and an 8oz cup of black coffee late morning. Posting in the Results thread.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm stopping my caloric intake now and will fast for 36 hours. Curious, Dan, have you tried mixing a 40 hour fast or so in to experiment?
  • DittoDan
    Options
    mcpostelle wrote: »
    I'm stopping my caloric intake now and will fast for 36 hours. Curious, Dan, have you tried mixing a 40 hour fast or so in to experiment?

Yes, if my break fast day weighin is not acceptable, I extend the fast to dinner time, which can be as much as 48 hours. Then I move my "official MFP" weighin to the next day (Saturday.)

I want to mention that I am dedicated to weight loss. There may be a lot of other ways to lose weight, exercise everyday, or possibly where you go carnivore. But I don't like just eating meat.

I know that fasting for short periods of time can not hurt me, I also know that not eating will ALWAYS result in weight loss. I have heard people say they have fasted and not loss weight, I believe their water management is wrong. Because there is no scientific way that a person can gain or stay neutral on weight if the body is consuming 2200 calories of energy per day. Water is the key as I stated before with salt, exercise, woman's cycles, carbs. If you manage them and properly "time" them, you will lose weight.

I'll say it again, if you ain't peeing, you ain't losing.

• Everlost_
    Everlost_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Today was my first full-day fast.. ever.. I think. At 25ish hours now. It wasn't so bad. Slight hunger around 3 pm, went away quick as I was busy working and really haven't felt hunger since. I normally skip breakfast so I'll probably break the fast at lunch tomorrow, which will make it a 41/42 hour fast.

- I drink water out of 20 oz blender bottles and had my first 3 (60 oz water) before 1pm and then nursed my last 20 ounces between 1-5 pm, so 80 ounces total so far, 10 cups. I plan to have my last cup, 8 ounces around 10 or so when I head to bed.

If I lose weight, great, if not, whatever, I know all about why weight doesn't come off in a linear fashion, especially for women... keep calm keto on..

I am up for another week, for sure. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it the Dan way today, mostly out of curiosity to see whether I could do this while at work. I usually fast on my weekends off, and usually include fat in my coffee. My belief is that fat consumption while severely limiting calories to under 400 daily will keep me in ketosis and allow me to avoid eating food for at least 2 days. My longest period without eating so far has been 66 hours, but never on just water alone. So here's to Dan for challenging me to try something new ! Let's raise our glass of water !

It's about hour 24 for me now. I survived the day at work fine, and the black coffee was OK, but I missed my regular amount of activity, since I did not exercise today. Now I feel like a bundle of nerves, feel like I could go out for a run, hope I can relax before bed. But I'm not done yet, so can't say what my whole perception will be. Will post my results in that other post at a later time.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    About to be working in a new job. How do you guys divert attention from not eating while at work? My last job was solo so I didn't worry about comments about my eating habits.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'll probably fast next week. I've finally dropped my sweetener (stevia) and I want to give it a few days before I fast.

... Plus it will be easier when hubby is out of town and I'm not cooking as much.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Just coming up past 34 hours. Will go and weigh now.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....

Salt.

Exercise.

Dan

I keep thinking of more things that cause water retention. Lack of Sleep and/or stress. A good night's sleep helps you lose weight and releases water.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....

How many cups of water did you drink?

I drank a lot (about 4 l. 2 of which were sparling water my new addiction).
    I lost the next day abour 250g then had a social mishap with family event (about 150 carbs).
    Back at it and still lost another 200g - i ran 2 miles the next morning after the 150 carbs.

My next fast will be monday.
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OK.
    the plot thickens ....

How many cups of water did you drink?

I drank a lot (about 4 l. 2 of which were sparling water my new addiction).
    I lost the next day abour 250g then had a social mishap with family event (about 150 carbs).
    Back at it and still lost another 200g - i ran 2 miles the next morning after the 150 carbs.

My next fast will be monday.

I looked into your diary, that "carb" event was the day before the fast. Try to avoid that before the fast. Carbs are short for carbohydrate. The "hydrate" is water. I'm think the carb event absorbed all that water you drank.

Adjust for next time.

• britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Exercise.

"Any exercise that "makes you sore" damages your cells. The bodies response will be water retention. Water is a big part of the healing process. So, all you people out there that do a lot of exercise that makes you sore ~ a day or two ~ BEFORE your weigh-in ~ are doing it WRONG. That's why I stress the timing of exercise in relation to the fasting and weigh-in. You have to give your body time to heal, because when it does, it will release a couple pounds of water (pee).

Again, I doubt the above is scientific and can be criticized ~ or just plain wrong. But I still get the good results following my recipe."

Dan

Question-

I have a question regarding exercise, since that's where i'm having some problems. Around here, Life happens. This afternoon, my pigs decided to break free and I had to pig wrangle (yet again) them back into their pen by myself. Surprisingly easy this time, except they now are actively looking for escape routes. Fast forward 2 hrs later and 25 tires, multiple t-posts and strawbales, I'm dripping in sweat, a solid 2 hr workout. This is Week 2 Day 1 (2.1) of my fast schedule and I'm not supposed to exercise.

Now, I'm accustomed to working on a homestead now, so I doubt I will be sore tomorrow. This is a long ways from riding a office chair in an Architecture Firm, but that's why I made the change. I haven't increased my water or calories, but I guess we'll have to see how this will affect Week 2.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    britzen wrote: »

Exercise.

"Any exercise that "makes you sore" damages your cells. The bodies response will be water retention. Water is a big part of the healing process. So, all you people out there that do a lot of exercise that makes you sore ~ a day or two ~ BEFORE your weigh-in ~ are doing it WRONG. That's why I stress the timing of exercise in relation to the fasting and weigh-in. You have to give your body time to heal, because when it does, it will release a couple pounds of water (pee).

Again, I doubt the above is scientific and can be criticized ~ or just plain wrong. But I still get the good results following my recipe."

Dan

Question-

I have a question regarding exercise, since that's where i'm having some problems. Around here, Life happens. This afternoon, my pigs decided to break free and I had to pig wrangle (yet again) them back into their pen by myself. Surprisingly easy this time, except they now are actively looking for escape routes. Fast forward 2 hrs later and 25 tires, multiple t-posts and strawbales, I'm dripping in sweat, a solid 2 hr workout. This is Week 2 Day 1 (2.1) of my fast schedule and I'm not supposed to exercise.

Now, I'm accustomed to working on a homestead now, so I doubt I will be sore tomorrow. This is a long ways from riding a office chair in an Architecture Firm, but that's why I made the change. I haven't increased my water or calories, but I guess we'll have to see how this will affect Week 2.

Yea, you can't control that. Just note it, and hope it doesn't affect your weighin, or weighin after 3-4 days. Or if you don't lose any on your weighin day, you'll know why.

That kinda stuff happens on the EASY exercise program. :)