Why am I not loosing weight?

Options
I have been doing the 5:2 diet since July and have been pretty strict on it. In the first 6 weeks I lost 16lbs but since then I have put back on 4lbs. I have been doing the same thing and eating normally (not binging) on my non fast days.

Any idea why this has stopped working?

I am 227lbs so still have about 60 lbs to loose.

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    They basic simple answer, you are eating too much.

It would be easier to advise if your diary and profile was public rather than private.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. I went back and looked and it wasn't that I was eating too much, it was that I was eating a lot of foods with a bunch of salt. I cut that out, and I was right back down. Another thing to check is to reset your goal for your new weight. I find that it drops about 10 calories for every pound to pound and a half. Hope this helps.
  • bethhjanee
    bethhjanee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am eating too much. I try to stick to under my calorie goal with MFP and nearly always stay on it.

I might try cutting salt out. Hopefully that will work. I exercise quite a lot (compared to what I used to do) so hoping that if I up that even more then more weight will come off.
  • waddlingtowiddle
    waddlingtowiddle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a fair amount left to lose as well. I had a month where I was up-down, up-down. It is so painful when this happens because you're doing everything you should be doing and it's not being rewarded on the scale. This lose-gain cycle was actually happening right before I went on vacation. I took two weeks off while on vacation and I think that actually helped break the cycle. Don't know if that's feasible for you. I ate at my maintenance calorie range during my vacation. I suggest in addition to looking at your sodium and also making sure you are drinking enough water. Have you tried mixing up your workout. Sometimes if you are doing the same workout routine and eating the same foods your body adapts and settles on a new weight set point. I wish you luck figuring it out. Friend me if you'd like. It'd be nice to have a 5;2 buddy who has a 50+ to lose.
  • DanaW13
    DanaW13 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am struggling as well. I started this a month ago. Lost 2 pounds the first couple weeks but since then maintained. I have been eating maintenance my non fast days but maybe I'm not tracking carefully enough--there has been some guesswork. I might try skipping breakfast on nonfast days to get my total calories lower. It is frustrating!
  • dorriemochan
    dorriemochan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I give up with it!! I'm so thrilled for others that it works for them. However I lost maybe a couple of kilos max in the first four weeks. Since then I have stuck with it for 10 weeks and I have put it all back on and more! And before anyone says it I have not been eating excessively on my non fast days, in fact I've been on average eating my maintenance calories. I don't think this has been good for my metabolism.
    I wish it had worked as I actually enjoyed it but now I just feel awful when I look at those scales and my bloated tummy.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I give up with it!! I'm so thrilled for others that it works for them. However I lost maybe a couple of kilos max in the first four weeks. Since then I have stuck with it for 10 weeks and I have put it all back on and more! And before anyone says it I have not been eating excessively on my non fast days, in fact I've been on average eating my maintenance calories. I don't think this has been good for my metabolism.
    I wish it had worked as I actually enjoyed it but now I just feel awful when I look at those scales and my bloated tummy.

It's not for everyone. All TDEE calculators are estimates. Following those numbers blindly expecting to lose weight might disappoint you. Individual BMR varies as well. MFP adds ca 200 kcal to sedentary BMR because they assume people are moving somewhat. If you're truly sedentary, that could possibly explain the lack of weight loss. I'm not going to delve into adherence to protocol. Only you know this answer and ultimately it's YOUR fat loss journey. Good luck further!

• DanaW13
    DanaW13 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry it didn't work out for you dorrie. I feel your pain-- I have been trying without success to lose 15 pounds for two years now. I switched to 4:3 with some skipped meals on nonfast days-this has helped, as I lost 1.5 pounds in the last week.