Pageant help

Options
ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
So I am competing in a pageant and need help with what my macros and exercise routine should be in order to tone up by January. I tried reverse dieting, and am up to 1900, I started at 1300-1400, now at 155-156 (up 4 lbs) and needing to mostly tone my stomach. Do I stop this reverse dieting process? Advice?

154ish, 18, female, 5'5"

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Toning really doesn't have a meaning.

But usually it means showing the muscle, by losing the fat over the top.

Diet wrong and wrong workouts - you'll have nothing to show when the fat drops.

You can't spot reduce, you could make your abs the best muscles in the body - and if you haven't lost the fat no one will see a thing of them.

What is estimated TDEE, and has routine been similar enough that has been the potential TDEE for awhile?

How long eating at 1300-1400 with no or slower results than normal?

Are you doing strength training so there is something to show under the fat?
  • ANT98
    edited September 2015
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Toning really doesn't have a meaning.

But usually it means showing the muscle, by losing the fat over the top.

Diet wrong and wrong workouts - you'll have nothing to show when the fat drops.

You can't spot reduce, you could make your abs the best muscles in the body - and if you haven't lost the fat no one will see a thing of them.

What is estimated TDEE, and has routine been similar enough that has been the potential TDEE for awhile?

How long eating at 1300-1400 with no or slower results than normal?

Are you doing strength training so there is something to show under the fat?

Sorry on the word tone, I mean tightening up? Yes I do an upper body, lower body, total body-with weights, and 2 days cardio, 1 day yoga, 1day rest. My estimated tdee is 2200ish. But here is where I get the issue of people telling me that I should be netting my bmr and not eating below it. I did it for 2-3 weeks, and just felt horrible. Now on about 1800-2000 I am feeling so much better with so much more energy and so I don't really want to go back to 1300. But if I have to so I can get in shape in time, I will
  • heybales
    Options
    Strength training - resistance training, lifting weights. Again, can't tighten up fat, don't worry, those are some common misconceptions thrown around in commercials too - just like building lean muscle, which is impossible since it doesn't exist, if it's a contrast to fat muscle.

Well, first there are a whole lot of numbers between 1300 and 2200 - don't do the bare minimum.

If you have been eating up at 2200 area to confirm that's as high as it goes, and without that much to lose (meaning over 80 lbs) - then 15% deficit is correct.
    Or eating about 1870.

Netting your BMR is too low. That's energy needs if sleeping all day. You have higher metabolic functions than that actually, repair and rebuilding of the body - hair, nails, skin, injury, ect.
    That also assumes you could know to a fact the calorie burn of exercise.
    Instead, just be correct on estimating TDEE and take reasonable deficit. There will automatically be balance on the other stuff.

That should allow great improvements from workouts - which is frankly going to transform the body and what people see more than diet will.

Diet would only put you in the correct weight class if that's the issue.

But never make time-based weight loss goals - unless clearly on the side of reasonable, or the stress of not being where you think you should will be self-fulfilling from the water weight.

Just take reasonable deficit, adjust as needed to changing activity levels, and watch the progress, both in weight/fat loss, and workout/body improvements.

• ANT98
    Options
    Strength training - resistance training, lifting weights. Again, can't tighten up fat, don't worry, those are some common misconceptions thrown around in commercials too - just like building lean muscle, which is impossible since it doesn't exist, if it's a contrast to fat muscle.

Well, first there are a whole lot of numbers between 1300 and 2200 - don't do the bare minimum.

If you have been eating up at 2200 area to confirm that's as high as it goes, and without that much to lose (meaning over 80 lbs) - then 15% deficit is correct.
    Or eating about 1870.

Netting your BMR is too low. That's energy needs if sleeping all day. You have higher metabolic functions than that actually, repair and rebuilding of the body - hair, nails, skin, injury, ect.
    That also assumes you could know to a fact the calorie burn of exercise.
    Instead, just be correct on estimating TDEE and take reasonable deficit. There will automatically be balance on the other stuff.

That should allow great improvements from workouts - which is frankly going to transform the body and what people see more than diet will.

Diet would only put you in the correct weight class if that's the issue.

But never make time-based weight loss goals - unless clearly on the side of reasonable, or the stress of not being where you think you should will be self-fulfilling from the water weight.

Just take reasonable deficit, adjust as needed to changing activity levels, and watch the progress, both in weight/fat loss, and workout/body improvements.

So I was trying to do a metabolic reset or eating at tdee for a while for my metabolism, but now have this so should I just go back straight to the deficit?
  • heybales
    Options
    If your body hasn't recovered and unstressed and sped up totally for long enough - you could waste many many weeks of attempting a deficit, not getting what you could from it - and returning to reset again anyway.

But finish off reset at 2200 estimated for rest of September.

Take deficit as above starting in October.

Adhere to the activity and workout routine that gave the 2200 TDEE.
    Adhere to the eating goal accurately.

And 8 lbs of just fat gone while transforming the body will be HUGE difference. 8 lbs of fat may not sound like a lot of scale weight, but that is a lot of volume to lose from the body.
    It'll look like more than that.
  • ANT98
    Options
    If your body hasn't recovered and unstressed and sped up totally for long enough - you could waste many many weeks of attempting a deficit, not getting what you could from it - and returning to reset again anyway.

But finish off reset at 2200 estimated for rest of September.

Take deficit as above starting in October.

Adhere to the activity and workout routine that gave the 2200 TDEE.
    Adhere to the eating goal accurately.

And 8 lbs of just fat gone while transforming the body will be HUGE difference. 8 lbs of fat may not sound like a lot of scale weight, but that is a lot of volume to lose from the body.
    It'll look like more than that.

Okay! That makes sense. Concerning training, should I add more weight training, make the workouts any longer, or just do the 3 day lift, 2 day hiit, 1 day yoga, 1 day rest?
    And macros, any suggestions that would be most effective for when I do start my cut?
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    if you haven't already, i'd look into a good sgrength training program, liek New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves.
  • heybales
    Options
    Don't add more - increases the TDEE.

But make the workouts stronger as your body is able to eating at maintenance.
  • ANT98
    Options
    Don't add more - increases the TDEE.

But make the workouts stronger as your body is able to eating at maintenance.

Any suggestions on macros?
  • heybales
    Options
    Enough protein and fat is first concern, carbs fall where they may.
    Best if each meal and snack follow close to the same ratio so you don't get insulin spikes giving low blood sugar causing hunger before it's time.

Studies have shown protein at .82 g per lb of bodyweight is the most use you'll get out of it for purpose of helping muscle. More will only impact pocketbook, or feeling full if that is an issue eating more even.

Fat at .35 g per lb of BW is good level for hormones and nutrient absorption and such. More can be done if there is an issue with eating carbs and don't want to spend money on more protein.

For some ranges of calorie goals and bodyweight, that works out to 40/30/30 for C/P/F, but for many it's overkill on protein.

At least MFP still lets you adjust macros and while based on %, shows you the grams that'll cause.