protein and health bars

Options
jenifer7teen
jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
has anyone found any good info about eating these during pregnancy? I generally eat a few per week (usually balance bars, pure protein bars, or Luna protein bars) for three reasons.
1) they can be a substitute for dessert which I presume is worse for me
2) they are easy snacks when I get suddenly ravenous, or post going to the gym
3) I am pretty averse to meat, find chicken generally repulsive and need quick ways to add protein other than just the usual Greek yogurt and beans

however, the ingredient lists on these things are quite extensive and I am not sure if I should be cutting back, cutting them out, or not worrying at all... I mean, they've got to be better for me than the cookies I want to eat right?

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you think some of the ingredients are weird. You could try googling each individual ingredient and decide for yourself if you think they're ok. Ask your doctor for sure though .

You can make your own granola bars too. :)
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've had protein bars (simply whey/simply protein mostly, but i do love luna bars) and protein shakes during my pregnancy. I chose the ones I thought had more 'natural' ingredients. They were also a way for me to get some protein becauseI had some meat aversion during the first trimester.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Simply Whey/Simply protein bars were the bars recommended to me during pregnancy and breast feeding as they don't have allergens, are low in sugar, high in protein, iron and fibre and have only 9 ingredients that are more natural than almost any other bar out there. That being said I mainly only eat Quest bars because I like there chewy texture. Quest bars are generally still fine in pregnancy, they just use sweeteners like sugar alcohols, stevia and some have sucralose. I haven't found any brand of protein bars that are completely contraindicated in pregnancy as most are pretty similar to chocolate bars with some different base ingredients and added protein. It's usually the protein powders and shakes that have additional supplements added to them and are cautioned in pregnancy (and if they are they have a warning on the package that says "Do not use this product if you are pregnant, expect to become pregnant or are nursing" as was labeled on a recent FitMiss Delight women's complete protein shake sample I was given).
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Seems like the MRM protein would probably be ok during pregnancy. I used this one and also Optimum Nutrition natural whey protein. But I know some women would be uncomfortable using protein powder at all; I was not but I still tried to stick to these ones.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    fit_mama30 wrote: »
    Seems like the MRM protein would probably be ok during pregnancy. I used this one and also Optimum Nutrition natural whey protein. But I know some women would be uncomfortable using protein powder at all; I was not but I still tried to stick to these ones.

So just yesterday after months of not having protein shakes a craving hit me and I had 2 and now it seems like it's my new go-to snack (as I woke up craving it again). I used the Promasil Rivalus protein, it seemed to have a good ingredient list (whey protein, milk protein, cocoa, stevia, sucralose) nothing that I am not already eating in other foods. There was no caution for pregnant woman on it so I figured it was fine to eat. Blended with ice, frozen banana, greek yogurt and almond milk it was awesome and replaced my after dinner snacking on baked goods and ice cream.