What do you mean when you say...?

Options
What do you mean when you say a food doesn't agree with you? I'm 4 weeks post-op (sleeve). I'm in the soft foods stage. I have had heart burn, gas (especially burping), and a drippy nose since day one. (Couldn't eat anything for first 4 days!) But honestly, I can't tie it to food consumption. I might get heartburn or burp after a sip of water on an empty stomach. Drippy nose on a full or empty stomach, it doesn't seem to matter my stomach's condition. Once or twice I knew I ate too much, but 95% of the time I'm trying to be very careful.

One other question. How many ounces of food could you eat at 4, or 8, or 12 weeks? Right now, depending on the food, I can get down 3-4, even a few times 5 ounces (if very liquidy). I'm just trying to calibrate.

Thanks, all!

Replies

• christophertoddchandler
    Options
    I had to take an antacid for quite a while. for the first month anything ingested felt sickening and yes to this day my nose still drips at times 14 months later. It is hard to get in all the nutrients you need, I had to measure all my food out and kept it about five ounces, or get ill. during the whole time I have tried to keep it about five ounces. I don't want to stretch it.
    Options
    Oh BTW congrats on your surgery and ensuing journey! The psychological issues far outweigh the physical in the long run.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any heartburn at all 7 months out, but I had a friend who had his surgery in October of 2013 and he has debilitating heartburn if he doesn't take Prilosec every day. They offered me a prescription for it but I've never used it (maybe because they did a hernia repair while they were in there? genetics? who knows?). At any rate, they told me heartburn is a very common side effect of the surgery so you may want to see if your doctor will give you a prescription to handle it.

Not sure about the nose dripping, but then, I live in the south where everything is constantly in bloom and noses drip here pretty much year-round so I'd probably never notice the difference.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Never had the drippy nose thing.
    I can tell you that you need to be careful on your switch to whole foods, and try to avoid/slowly expose yourself to drier meats. Tuna fish and over-cooked salmon have put me through hell. According to the doc, they can gum-up in the stomach and take a very long time to pass. The result is not being able to eat or drink anything until the blockage passes, which in my experiences was about 24 hours. It also came with a horrible burning pain, and tons of regurgitation if I tried to eat/drink.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. (And I also had a hernia repair, which I wondered was actually the source of the heartburn...) Since I'm a pescatarian, meat won't be an issue. But the transition to regular food seems daunting. I brought my husband raw broccoli salad yesterday, and all I could think yesterday was "Aw, HELL no!" And I love broccoli salad!
  • shrinkingkathy
    shrinkingkathy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I say a food doesn't agree with me, that means it made me nauseated. I haven't had that problem very often, thankfully. Usually it's if I have something with too much sugar in it.
  • martabeerich
    Options
    Good to know.
  • deeS3211
    deeS3211 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 months and can eat anything , even raw vegetables and chicken breast aand even steak . I have to weigh and measure everything or else I can eat much more than 4 oz. My calories are at 1000. I'm a revision from band and I'm losing at a snails pace. I don't know why.
  • martabeerich
    Options
    Wow. That's good to know. One more week of soft foods. But I'm nervous (why?) about raw vegetables and fruit. Which is what I really want. Maybe because I'm still suffering from major heartburn issues?
    Options
    Marta, I am no Doctor, but some of your food preferences may change a bit. I love salmon. It is more dense to my stomach than steak, so it really fills you up. Veggies can really fill me up too and seem a bit more difficult to ingest, watermelon and cantaloupe go easier.
    I hope as you introduce solids the extra acid is used digesting food instead of hurting your stomach.
    Also remember your tummy is still swollen and healing, as the swelling goes down hopefully you will not have such heartburn.
  • Athollass
    Athollass Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Marta, I get what you are saying. After 3 months I am still careful or maybe nervous of dry, dense foods like grilled meats or raw vegetables. I don't get heart burn but that tight uncomfortable feeling is not something I like to repeat! My nut advised chewing foods thoroughly, about 27 chews per bite. This provides moisture and activates digestive enzymes. My bariatric nurse also told me right after surgery the stomach will continue producing the same levels of acid as it did preop but as it heals acid production will decrease. Of course, we are all unique so this may vary from person to person. My biggest problem is the hiccups!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 years out, I had acid reflux prior to my sleeve, still do. I will still get a drippy nose if I either eat too fast or too much. If I eat slower and pay attention to my full cue, I don't get drippy or flemmy. Fast eating and drinking also make me nauseous. My advice? Slow way down, figure out your full cue and then stop eating when you get it. My full cue is the feeling like I need to burp. Even if I do actually need to burp and do, I still need to be done eating at that point.
  • martabeerich
    Options
    Thanks. That's helpful info. I've always been a fast eater. Although I'm trying to be aware, it's hard. I'm using tiny silverware. Trying to put it down between bites. But I still catch myself. I'll work on trying to figure these things out.