Increased hunger from exercise

Options
I am 7 months out, down 59 lbs from surgery with about 41 lbs or so left to go to goal (+/- 5 lbs). I recently upped my exercise. I am doing the couch to 5 k program 3x a week and walking for about 1 hr 5x a week. I am noticing my hunger has increased recently (although it may just be my TOM causing it) but I don't feel that I should be eating back exercise calories. Most of the time I keep my calories between 13-1500 a day but I've had a few higher days up to 1800 calories. I am still losing slowly so I'm not *too* worried yet, but I wondered if anyone else has experience more hunger with exercise and how it affected your progress (assuming you were eating more and not just ignoring the hunger). I want to add in more weights to build more muscle but at the same time I am concerned with my increased hunger.

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If you increase exercise, you are going to experience more hunger-- that is just how it is. It is the body's way of trying to keep you from starving. :) When I was tracking calories, I allowed myself to "eat back" half of the calories I burned. I did not have any issue with stalls or anything by doing so. Also, it was around the 7-9 month mark that my hunger in general (and my ability to eat more food) kicked in. So it could be that is happening, too. I understand it can be anxiety provoking to increase calories at all. My suggestion is to continue to keep your choices protein/veg based and eat when you are hungry. I doubt you will have to worry about weight gain if you stick to those guidelines. Enjoy your exercise!

P.S. I also tended to play around with my calories to keep my body guessing-- I had lower days (14-1500) and then a few higher ones (1800-2000) and even occasionally had total "blow out" days where I went as high as 2500 (very infrequent). Doing this seemed to keep me from stalling. Of course, everyone is different so I am not sure if that would work out for you.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I want to add in more weights to build more muscle but at the same time I am concerned with my increased hunger.

A post exercise meal is important for muscle building. You should have a lean protein after working out. It's a good time to have some meat. I don't mess around with dairy or protein bars/shakes after a workout. I eat something that's really going to take some time to digest.

It's hard too. It's food that I don't like eating in hot weather. And now that it's the season of Pumpkin Spice Everything all I want to do is commit carbocide. But I can do it, and I believe in you!

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common. A recent study showed that people training hard for marathons were mostly gaining weight. They were burning a lot of calories, but they were eating even more.

I think it's a bad idea to eat back exercise calories. You usually aren't burning nearly as much as you think, and even if you think you are being careful, you are eating more than you think.

Until you are at goal, don't mess around. Get the weight off as quick as you can. The further out you are from surgery, the harder it gets. You'll have the rest of your life to experiment.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common. A recent study showed that people training hard for marathons were mostly gaining weight. They were burning a lot of calories, but they were eating even more.

I think it's a bad idea to eat back exercise calories. You usually aren't burning nearly as much as you think, and even if you think you are being careful, you are eating more than you think.

Until you are at goal, don't mess around. Get the weight off as quick as you can. The further out you are from surgery, the harder it gets. You'll have the rest of your life to experiment.

Amen!

I never specifically ate back exercise calories. I would, however, eat over my target calories when I felt weak or hungry on an active day. That happened a large handful of times over my year of active losing.

I found that pretty hard adherence to a simple calorie/protein goal and regular exercise gave me my results. Nothing fancy.

Rob
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I agree with not eating back exercise calories but instead just built it into your base calorie allowance, then look at weekly averages so you can eat more when you desire.

For example, if you were eating about 1500 before, increase to say 1600 (or higher) to account for the increased activity (assuming it is regular). But look at it over the week, so your goal is to average 1600. So if you eat a little over one day because you are more hungry, you can eat a little less other day(s) to make it average out. I find that easier than having different target goals every day - I aim for 1600 daily, but keep a 7 day rolling average. If my 7 day average is higher than 1600, I try to eat close to 1500 that day, and if it is less than 1600, I am free to eat maybe 1700 that day. I dont actually micromanage it like that, but the concept helps keep me from worrying about a single day's intake - "its not what you do on one day that matters, its what you do every day that matters".
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am sure glad you asked the question.. I know I have had days where I was seemingly more hungry than others an
    d have wanted something extra. I did ask my surgeon the last time we talked and he said the same thing that yes if your going to work out hard or harder the add more protein .. So I aim for 80+grams now. I was so concerned about the calories but he wasn't.. He said make them healthy food choices obviously but not to worry about the calories unless of course you go way out of hand. I have tried to keep myself below 1200 but just upped it to 1300 recently. I had a stall for about a month and I realized why I was starving myself as we all try to stay on track I have found as has everyone here you have to continually make adjustments..
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 15 months out from surgery. I have not lost anything in 6 months. I run 3-5 times a week 2-4 miles. I feel like I'm starving most of the time. I eat. 2 hours later I'm hungry again. I can eat 1-2 cups of food at a time and am really worried that eventually I will gain if I continue this every two hour process.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    nkac1980 wrote: »
    I am 15 months out from surgery. I have not lost anything in 6 months. I run 3-5 times a week 2-4 miles. I feel like I'm starving most of the time. I eat. 2 hours later I'm hungry again. I can eat 1-2 cups of food at a time and am really worried that eventually I will gain if I continue this every two hour process.

Are you eating dense protein? I find when I eat things like chicken, beef, etc. that I get full and stay full longer than when I am eating carbs.