Long runs...alone or group?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Wondering what is everyone's preference for doing their long training runs. I usually do mine alone and I have talked to several people recently who find this odd. I have met up with groups in the past, but sometimes I find it hard to find somebody that is running at my pace the entire way.

If you run with a group, do you tend to run with the same person every time? Do you stay with the same person/people throughout the run or just fall into stride with anyone close to you? I have found that when I have run with groups in the past, either I feel like I am holding somebody back or, conversely, I feel obligated to stay with somebody that I started with, even if they slow up or take breaks and this ends up affecting my over-all run. Often I just end up running the route by myself.

Maybe it's just a matter of running more routinely with the same people and getting to find somebody that likes to run as I do. I am thinking of joining up with the local running group for a 20 miler this weekend.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm a solo artist. I run alone. I don't want to compromise my workout to be social.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I do sessions with a group of women who are a similar standard to me. We sometimes do our long runs together, but because we run more or less the same pace, no-one is holding anyone back and as we're doing those at easy pace we can chat without compromising our training. In the past I've done long runs with one or two friends who were also training for marathons around the same pace as me. But I'm also very happy to run alone.

Maybe the trick is to find other people who have similar training targets to you. That way you aren't choosing between optimising your workout and being sociable as you can do both at the same time.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I can do either, though I prefer a group. That's kind of odd for an introvert like me; but my first half marathon training program put me into a pace group full of marathon runners. I learned a lot just listening to them chat.

These days, I pace 8:30 per mile for a local training program. I find that I'm better at keeping the long run slow if I'm responsible for more people than just myself. Last Saturday, only one other guy showed up for the 8:30 pace. He and I know each other well, and we gravitated more toward an 8:15 pace. That's okay for him and me, but I should hold closer to 8:30 for newer runners training for their first half marathon. (If the new runner should be running faster than 8:30, the coaches would have asked me to pace 8:00. I could do that, but trainees needing that pace are not common in this program.)

When there is no group run scheduled, I tend to run closer to an 8:00 pace; and if I don't watch myself closely, I can push it faster without thinking and end up running 7:30 per mile after the first 3 miles or so. That would be okay for 10 miles, but not so good for 18 or 20. The group really helps me keep it as slow as a long run should be, even when I'm the one responsible for holding the pace.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Alone or with a friend who's a similar pace as me and training for the same marathon. I'm not keen on a bigger group for my long run as I find I'm either having to run harder than I want to keep up or slow down so people don't drop off the back. I love my training nights with my running club but long runs for me are all about getting the meils in my legs just a bit slower than my intended race pace.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like company but it can be hard because as you say you are either holding someone back or vice versa. I have a great friend who came out for a few long runs with me earlier in the year.

We had great craic it was like a three hour counselling session lol we never stopping chatting and putting the world to right.

My last marathon a few weeks ago was laps she came out with me for the first four laps ( one short one, then three five miles) those laps flew by, the last two were so much tougher by myself. I find having a bit of company distracts me from the blerch in my head asking me what on earth am I doing out running these crazy miles..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I run alone and am happy to most of the time.

last race I did I followed 2 girls (sounds creepier than it actually was) who were having a right good chit chat all the way round and thought it would be nice to have a running partner for some long runs and races, but I haven't found anyone local who's the same pace and wants to run on the same days as me.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Always alone. One of the things I love most about running is the solitary nature of it.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I mostly run with a running group and only do 1 run a week on my own. I get in my own head too much, especially when I started so I "couldn't" complete more than 3 miles without giving up. The group helped me get out my of my head and increase my distance comfortably.
    It's a relatively large group and at first I did my runs with them but never ran directly with anyone, I wasn't fast enough to keep a comfortable pace with them. As time passed, I found a few people I could run with depending on how each of us were feeling for the day but generally I still run solo and keep my own pace and just run the same route as everyone else.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love running alone with the dog. it's just me in the morning and a few other runners and bikers. a few drunks and homeless but mostly the streets are clear and it's almost like a meditation. have a thought and exhale it away. have a thought, exhale it away.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Its a Mix and Match with me. I have 2 Group runs during the week, usually trail runs and always have someone who is at the same pace as me. I enjoy the solitary runs as I can throw in Pace Changes, Hill Climbs etc without having a negative effect on anyone else. Nothing like a 10km run with a 1km sprint finish.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I never run with a group unless it's a leisurely recovery run. I usually have an agenda for my workouts and I am going to be concentrating on doing the work I am supposed to be doing, not chatting with people.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who is a very experienced runner help me train for my first marathon. We ran long runs together and a few runs during the week. I've done most of my running alone though. Most of the time I like being alone but there are times, especially when the run is especially tough for whatever reason, that it's nice to have someone with you to help take your mind off the whatever it is that's making it tough. I've pretty much run alone for the past almost year and it's been fine though.

A couple of months ago I was doing my long run on a Saturday morning and I had about three or four miles to go and was just struggling. I was about to just call it a day and head for home when I happened to see the dad of one of my daughter's friends out running. We talked for a second and he asked how much further I had to go. My original route was actually right past his house where he was planning to end up. I told him I was moving slow and he said that wasn't a problem. So we ran together and those last three or four miles ended up being the fastest and most enjoyable of my run.

So.... anywho....

TL;DR: I generally prefer running alone but sometimes I like some company.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    My agenda for a long slow run is a long run well within my aerobic capacity which means chit chat is possible, and welcome. In my 20's and 30's I did my Sunday long runs with a marathon training group -- we had great discussions and the distraction was welcome, especially in the cold Vancouver rain during the dead of winter.

I'd run with such a group today if I could make my long runs fit a regular schedule but at the moment I can't, so I run those, and most other runs alone. I do get one shorter run in a week with company -- my wife -- as we have "Date Run Fridays" as a tradition. More chit chat.

Chit chat is nice for distraction and sure makes the time pass. I've tried podcasts and music but more often than not run without as I like to hear my footfalls, especially for the first 5km while I'm getting warmed up and ensuring I'm hitting the cadence I want to be at.

I've tried talking to my dog but she's the silent type unless squirrels are around. On the other hand she quietly agrees with everything I have to say and there's something to be said for that!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've run a couple of times with a buddy, and I enjoyed the company, but most of the time I go solo. Running with someone else requires schedule and route coordination, pace compromise, and most of the time I just want to step out the door and get it done.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've done some long runs with groups, but I prefer to do them alone for a few reasons. 1) It's good practice for race day when I'm not gonna be yakking with someone the whole time. 2) I like long runs to be personal challenges, and I don't want someone else keeping me from the pace I want, or vice versa. 3) I find that after about an hour, I cannot keep up a conversation, so it's awkward to be running with a group for longer than that. I can "fake it til I make it" for maybe 10-12 miles but after that my brain is dead. 4) Long runs iare my Nerdist podcast time and I cherish it ;)

Edit to add #5: People around here love to run the canal trail, but I can't do more than 2 miles on it without my knees aching; I like to run convoluted routes looping around various neighborhoods, keeping to pavement the whole way, and other people aren't quite so keen on that.

That all being said, people also think it's weird/unfathomable that I like to do 2.5-3 hour runs solo.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift- I also like to meander on my long runs. When I set out, I have a loose idea of where I'm going to go, but I usually just make it up as I go along. I think it helps me mentally to break the run up into little segments. When there is a pre-planned course, I tend to visualize the whole route in my head and it seams dreadfully long. I pretty much know how long every little path, extension, road, etc. is in my area because I have run just about everywhere I can!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Always alone. One of the things I love most about running is the solitary nature of it.

^^ This. When I started running I would run to music, but after a few weeks I shed the ear buds and now just get immersed inside my own head. I love it seeing where my thoughts take me.

If I were to join someone else on a long run I would make it very clear up front that if they had to quit early or go slower than I want, I'll meet them later, and I'd expect no less from then.

• valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    I had a friend who is a very experienced runner help me train for my first marathon. We ran long runs together and a few runs during the week. I've done most of my running alone though. Most of the time I like being alone but there are times, especially when the run is especially tough for whatever reason, that it's nice to have someone with you to help take your mind off the whatever it is that's making it tough. I've pretty much run alone for the past almost year and it's been fine though.

A couple of months ago I was doing my long run on a Saturday morning and I had about three or four miles to go and was just struggling. I was about to just call it a day and head for home when I happened to see the dad of one of my daughter's friends out running. We talked for a second and he asked how much further I had to go. My original route was actually right past his house where he was planning to end up. I told him I was moving slow and he said that wasn't a problem. So we ran together and those last three or four miles ended up being the fastest and most enjoyable of my run.

So.... anywho....

TL;DR: I generally prefer running alone but sometimes I like some company.

I had a similar experience on my second marathon!!! my brother rang I was at mile 23 I had a good old gossip with him, it passed those scary high miles for me, I bounced up to the finish line in great form :) ( course he thought I was nuts)

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @valentine4 lol.

@7lenny7 I hope i get to that point. i still need music to keep going. Otherwise my brain wins.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    it depends...if its strictly a long, easy run...i like to go it alone. if its a run where Im trying to improve my time or want to throw in a couple of faster miles in the middle, i like a partner to compete with. it has to be someone with similar goals though.